2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,235 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by toddy
Originally Posted by peterws

I tried an LX15 last week. It sounded good until I tried the CN35. .

Seriously? The CN35 was better than an LX15? Was that in sound or playability or just everything?

If I might elain further. The LX15 was going for £3.25k. (The guy never told me about the later model). It sounded full, very full with a boomy bass but without what you might call the authentic "woody" sound one might expect from such an instrument. Indeed, I know of no instrument which does replicate the woodiness of the acoustic. The action felt acceptable, but nothing on that instrument was exciting tp me, although I have heard wonderful recordings over at the adult beginners forum..

Upstairs, in a bare room, were a few other digitals. The CN35 was but one. I found that was definitely to my liking, both sound and keyboard;its the black notes Im interested in when assessing these things.. The ES7 (on offer, again, I was told nothing about the es8) didnt sound good in tnat envirenment. But I have been impressed by the sound elsewhere.

Unsophisticated tastes contribute towarcs my opinions.. . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
I
I
The Nord stage 2 has some of the best piano sounds for a digital instrument but it has an action of an organ, not a piano.
It's just one of the reasons why try before you buy is so important.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by inyourdreamz
The Nord stage 2 has some of the best piano sounds for a digital instrument but it has an action of an organ, not a piano.

There are different versions of the NS2... they have a model with an organ action, as well as ones with hammer actions.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
inyourdreamz,
There is a variant of the Nord Stage 2 with a semi-weighted action and waterfall (organ style) keys, but there is also a variant with fully weighted piano style keys. The latter definitely feels like a piano and not an organ when playing. The action is a bit lighter than some, and they change the key trigger point for organ sounds so that playing the organ plays a bit more natural, but even with that you can definitely feel that it's a piano action. Perhaps you tried the semi-weighted version?

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
Bachus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by fizikisto
inyourdreamz,
There is a variant of the Nord Stage 2 with a semi-weighted action and waterfall (organ style) keys, but there is also a variant with fully weighted piano style keys. The latter definitely feels like a piano and not an organ when playing. The action is a bit lighter than some, and they change the key trigger point for organ sounds so that playing the organ plays a bit more natural, but even with that you can definitely feel that it's a piano action. Perhaps you tried the semi-weighted version?

I dont like the fatar action of the Nord stage much, it was okay for playing piano but... I compared it to a Physis H1(which has a different fatar action) , and the difference was huge.. Much more noisy, a fair bit lighter, and not really pianolike... And that was the 88 key weighted version.. However, i could play some decent organ licks on it...

I think thats what inyourdreamz meant to say...

Nord stage is top for a performing musician, where you prepare your instrument in adcance, load the right patches and just have a single instrument for everything you want to do at the stage... (Takes quite some preperation, tough its a very flexible instrument)

But for a home user, that wants all the great sounds at his fingertips all the time, its not so great.. Because you can not have all those great pinao sounds available at the same time. You need to load in advance, and this takes time..

Compared to a Roland RD800 that comes with like 1000 sounds build in, and a huge aray of user memmory to save your performances... All sounds and performances are available all the time..

Last edited by Bachus; 10/05/15 09:30 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by inyourdreamz
It's just one of the reasons why try before you buy is so important.
I disagree, which is well known to some here. They sound great on line, but couldn't connect with any of them and couldn't distinguish any difference between them. I know a lot of people love them and that's great; just make sure you play them live before dropping $5000.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
M
M
Originally Posted by Bachus
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Yes, the Privia action is one of the noisier ones. However, it is important to note that they all make noise. In general, if you notice the noise, your volume is down too low. So be sure to play test them at good volumes that an acoustic piano would be at (which is roughly at 75% volume).

Its espescially unpleasant when playing with headsets on.. You domt have any sound to cover the noise...

I think indeed the Casio and the Nord stage where quite noisy...

You mean noisy from the perspective of those not wearing the headphones? All of them will be. In fact, if you're worried about others who live in the house that will have to hear this, you're better off practicing with sound. Most people would rather hear the sound than the thumping of the keys, I'm pretty sure.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
B
Originally Posted by jackifus
The thing that disturbs me about the Privia isn't the *feel* of the action, it's that the action is loud. To me, I heard it thumping even during quiet playing - and certainly while playing with headphones.

I don't know if others feel this way

Yes. Finally, somebody else sees that. I mentioned this awhile back on the site when I was shopping (about Privias) and nobody else could. In fact, that's why I crossed Casios off my list (which was a pisser because otherwise they were at the top of my list). As others have said, personal taste/experience. I noticed it on the Yamahas I tried as well, although not quite as much.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by peterws
If I might elain further. The LX15 was going for £3.25k. (The guy never told me about the later model). It sounded full, very full with a boomy bass but without what you might call the authentic "woody" sound one might expect from such an instrument. Indeed, I know of no instrument which does replicate the woodiness of the acoustic. The action felt acceptable, but nothing on that instrument was exciting tp me, although I have heard wonderful recordings over at the adult beginners forum..

Upstairs, in a bare room, were a few other digitals. The CN35 was but one. I found that was definitely to my liking, both sound and keyboard;its the black notes Im interested in when assessing these things.. The ES7 (on offer, again, I was told nothing about the es8) didnt sound good in tnat envirenment. But I have been impressed by the sound elsewhere.

Unsophisticated tastes contribute towarcs my opinions.. . .

This boominess is a problem with some of the DPs in the upper range, I've found. I actually prefer the 'stiff' unyielding sound of smaller, less powerful systems, as this is more like what a piano actually sounds like. (I'm talking in terms of approximation here - not audiophile sound immersion experience - for that you might as well buy an acoustic and be done with it). I've not played those Roland LX models, but you'd expect a fair amount of woodiness from them wouldn't you? For that price, you should be able to select maple, rosewood, oak or mahogany.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission