2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2485848 11/29/15 11:19 PM
C
Colin5 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
It's that time of life for me when I get to start planning for college auditions. Yay? I'm planning on visiting and auditioning for a few colleges, and one of my friends from a piano institute I went to a while back wants me to audition for Juilliard with her (though she is related to Liszt himself, so she does have an advantage). This is going to be my Juilliard program, and these pieces will be used for many other schools as well:

Pre-Screening:
-Beethoven Sonata Op. 31 No. 2, "Tempest"
-Chopin Scherzo No. 2, Op. 31
-Chopin Etude Op. 25 No. 5

Live Audition (if accepted):
-Bach Prelude and Fugue No. 2 in C Minor, WTC I
-Beethoven Sonata Op. 31 No. 2, "Tempest"
-Chopin Scherzo No. 2, Op. 31
-Chopin Etude Op. 10 No. 4
-Rachmaninoff Etude-Tableaux Op. 33 No. 6
-Another substantial composition in a style different than the previous pieces

For the last one I'm not really sure what to play... maybe Ravel's Sonatine? Any suggestions would be great. I highly doubt I'll be accepted into Juilliard, but it's still worth a shot. Also, if anyone here has already auditioned for Juilliard, would you mind please telling me what it's like? I'd like to know all the technical things they're looking for and what the written portion is like.

Last edited by colin_pianist18; 11/29/15 11:28 PM.

University of Central Missouri: Bachelor of Music in Piano Performance and Piano Pedagogy (2018)
University of Missouri-Kansas City Conservatory: Master of Music in Piano Performance (2024)

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Today is the deadline, right?

C
Colin5 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by MaggieGirl
Today is the deadline, right?

Luckily for me, I'm only a sophomore in high school so I can't audition this year lol (or next year either I think). Just want to be ahead of schedule. If I want to actually get accepted I'll have to almost perfect the pieces lol.

University of Central Missouri: Bachelor of Music in Piano Performance and Piano Pedagogy (2018)
University of Missouri-Kansas City Conservatory: Master of Music in Piano Performance (2024)

Bro, that's pretty awesome...
In fact, I'm a sophomore in high school that is considering auditioning for Juilliard I'm the future.

Sean T. Preston
Pianist
C
Colin5 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Sean T. Preston
Bro, that's pretty awesome...
In fact, I'm a sophomore in high school that is considering auditioning for Juilliard I'm the future.

Thanks, maybe I'll see you there!

Update: Now I'm considering the following -
J.S. Bach: Prelude and Fugue (in D Major from WTC I? Still need to decide on a new one; apparently the C minor one is extremely popular in college auditions and me and my teacher wanted me to play a different prelude/fugue for the audition.)
L. V. Beethoven: Sonata Op. 31 No. 2, "Tempest"
F. Chopin: Scherzo No. 2, Op. 31
F. Chopin: Etude Op. 10 No. 4 (or Op. 25 No. 12)
S. Rachmaninoff: Etude in E-Flat Major, Op. 33 No. 6 (aka 7) (still needing to decide between this or other "virtuosic" etudes.)
S. Prokofiev: Sonata No. 3, Op. 28

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Where do you want to audition? I was accepted with Mozart's Rondo Ala Turka, a Bach Invention, Grieg's Noturno. Of course it was a State University (SDSU).

GOOD LUCK! You have lots of time to perfect!! :-)

Denise
2005 Schulze Pollmann 126/e Classico Upright (Maple with Sunburst inlay)
1965 Baldwin Model L 6'3" Grand (Satin Black)
2020 Yamaha Clavinova CLP 735
C
Colin5 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
@ neciebugs: University of Missouri-St. Louis, University of Missouri-Kansas City, University of Central Missouri, Manhattan School of Music, New England Conservatory, Curtis Institute of Music, Eastman School, of Music, and The Juilliard School. Thanks!

Updated program:

Pre-Screening (for all colleges I'm auditioning for): Bach Prelude/Fugue BWV 865, Mozart Sonata K. 310 A Minor, Chopin Barcarolle Op. 60, and Prokofiev Sonata 3.
Most live auditions: Bach Prelude and Fugue BWV 850, Beethoven Sonata Op. 31 No. 2, Chopin Polonaise Op. 44, Chopin Etude Op. 10 No. 4, Liszt Un Sospiro, Liebermann Gargoyles.

How does that sound?

How about the Pathetique Sonate for your Beethoven piece? I'll probably play that one.

Sean T. Preston
Pianist

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission