2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,670 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
skeblon Offline OP
OP Offline
S

In another thread I`m looking for the hybrid piano for my son. Now (for help my decide) I need compare what's the better:

- Yamaha AvantGrand (NU1, N2)
or
- Kawai ATX2-f AnyTimeX2 - in loudly digital mode - sound throw soundboard speaker (neither accustic mode nor headphones)

Please do not say me there about another piano (You can write it into thread 'Hybrid for my son').
Please write me about your opinien whats the better and why on two item above.

Thank you very much

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
How long per day do you expect your son to play the acoustic piano in acoustic mode? Or not at all?

I think the most important thing here is the question if the acoustic part of the acoustic piano (Kawai Kxxx) is used at all.

If it is not used, which would be a shame, then you can compare it to the NU1. The K200-ATX2-f costs about 2000 EUR more. Lets say the action is almost the same (both real upright) and lets say the tone (Yamaha bright vs Kawai warm) does not matter. Then whats left is the digital engine ATX2+transducer+soundboard vs Yamaha NU1 (sound engine from 2012). You probably just have to look at how Yamaha compares their NU1 against the TransAccoustic...

I guess the benefits of the transducer and the newest Kawai sound engine ATX2 are not really worth 2000 EUR.

The N2 is almost twice the price of an K200-ATX2-f. For the almost 5000 EUR more you get a grand piano action and a sound engine from 2009.

I think if your son can play an hour a day acoustic - and I see no reason why not, even with funny neighbors - then you should go for a K200 or K300, because pedaling-technique will be the better for it.

Last edited by Hendrik42; 01/03/16 10:13 AM.

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
skeblon, I think I've read just about every post in the two threads you started.

I think we're approaching the coda. I know what I would order, are you zeroing in on a final choice?

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
S
skeblon Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
skeblon, I think I've read just about every post in the two threads you started.

I think we're approaching the coda. I know what I would order, are you zeroing in on a final choice?

I started the second thread, because I think that the difference in action and tone can these two piano may be of interest to everyone. I create this thread is currently the gathering for these differences.

S
skeblon Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Hendrik42
How long per day do you expect your son to play the acoustic piano in acoustic mode? Or not at all?

I think the most important thing here is the question if the acoustic part of the acoustic piano (Kawai Kxxx) is used at all.

Yes I know it, but I want only compare about digital units.

If it is not used, which would be a shame, then you can compare it to the NU1. The K200-ATX2-f costs about 2000 EUR more. Lets say the action is almost the same (both real upright) and lets say the tone (Yamaha bright vs Kawai warm) does not matter. Then whats left is the digital engine ATX2+transducer+soundboard vs Yamaha NU1 (sound engine from 2012). You probably just have to look at how Yamaha compares their NU1 against the TransAccoustic...

You say that Yamaha TransAccustics digital unit is similar as Kawai AnyTime (ATX 2)?
Please send me some link about this compare.

I guess the benefits of the transducer and the newest Kawai sound engine ATX2 are not really worth 2000 EUR.

My English is not so good. Did you write that Kawai Anytime not good for extra money (compared to Yamaha AvantGrand NU1)? I.e. for the payment of 2000 Euros in addition? Is the digital unit bad (compared to Yamaha AvantGrand)?

My plan is to find the differences between digital units of these pianos. Then it's only on me if bonus (acoustic part) is ok or not - paying for additional 2000-3000 Euro .

The N2 is almost twice the price of an K200-ATX2-f. For the almost 5000 EUR more you get a grand piano action and a sound engine from 2009.

Could you send me some link about difirence between grand action and upright action?

I think if your son can play an hour a day acoustic - and I see no reason why not, even with funny neighbors - then you should go for a K200 or K300, because pedaling-technique will be the better for it.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
You can use Google, no? Just look at the Yamaha U1TA:
http://www.keyboardmag.com/acoustic-piano/1189/yamaha-u1ta-transacoustic-piano-reviewed/50238

It is a Yamaha U1, a 48inch (122cm) upright piano. The Kawai equivalent is the K300, same size. The K200 is a bit smaller, the K500 bigger. This means something for the acoustic sound, but not for the digital part, as the action is the same.

I do not know much about the digital sound engine of the NU1 (ca. 2012) or N2 (ca. 2009), only that I believe they are older systems than ATX2. But maybe not by much. They have generally the same functionality.

What I was trying to say is: if you do NOT USE the ACOUSTIC part of the Kawai, then 2000 EUR difference between NU1 and K200-ATX2-f is maybe too much as the ATX2 is maybe not 2000 EUR better than NU1.

A K-series upright piano with ATX2 is fantastic. I have played them and I have played the NU1. In both cases you have the "100% upright piano" feel. I just like the tone of Kawai better.

On the difference between upright action and grand piano action, please also use Google. They are very different and so they feel different. However, one can argue that if you can play something nicely on an upright, you will have no problem playing it nicely on a grand, because the grand action will allow you more control.

I am not pianist enough to know if a upright acoustic+digital or grand digital-only would be better for your son, but I am guessing that pedaling technique is better to learn on an acoustic in acoustic-mode.

If I would like to spend up to 11000EUR (N2 price, more or less), then I would never get the NU1, I would do a K300 or K500 with ATX2-f or the N2.

Well, I would probably not get the N2; I do not like the Yamaha sound so much, I live in a neighborhood where you can play piano for at least an hour/day in full acoustic mode. And I could spend all the "saved money" on other piano stuff :-)

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)
Z
zig Offline
Z
the nu1 is not part of the avantgrand series . it has an upright action.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zig
the nu1 is not part of the avantgrand series . it has an upright action.

True, but it is a hybrid which is a very small club at the moment.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
A
A

I don't think that the year of development is an adequate assessment criterion for the Avantgrand series. I still haven't heard a better sounding engine (not to mention the outstanding grand piano action) in any other digital piano. Just play any bass tone on the Avantgrand N2. After that play the same note on any other digital piano. Then you would know what I mean.

JMTC
Tom

S
skeblon Offline OP
OP Offline
S
2 years ago we selected Kawai K300 ATX2-f. My son is happy. If you have some questions about Kawai - you can ask me.
Example from home practising : https://youtu.be/zzJ1Pxo0ssw

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission