2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
My grandnephew is 11 and should be learning piano from a teacher but with busy parents hasn't established that in his life yet.

Can you recommend the best Note learning games and apps.
He has his own digital grand piano and the ambition to start learning to read notes on a staff and finding them on his piano.

His grandmother, (my sister) is a musician, former band director and music teacher.

He started piano with a very unproductive method. (not sure what it was called). Learning piano by rote and not suggesting that students practice. Very unusual program in Phoenix, AR.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Check out Piano Marvel, Piano Maestro, and Musiah.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
Thanks Groove On, I looked them up on their websites. I passed those suggestions on to my sister.
Have you used any of them?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I use Piano Maestro, mainly because it works with my acoustic piano (via the iPad's mic). I've been addicted to it for nearly 8 months now. I also really like Piano Marvel, which I practice on occasionally at my brother's house. But I don't have a digital piano, so I don't use Piano Marvel as often. I haven't used Musiah.

Both work as advertised - 1,000+ progressive sight-reading pieces with instant feedback on note accuracy and rhythm reading. To me Piano Maestro is more in the moment, and I play a lot of competitive musical games with my niece and nephew on it. We can use it on almost any keyboard or piano we find. Piano Marvel has more traditional lesson approach which I also find appealing. It requires a digital piano hooked up to a computer.

Piano Maestro shows only scrolling notes, 2-4 measures at a time, while Piano Marvel has static notes and can show more measures at a time, so it's more like reading a paper score.

*** And most importantly!!! These programs work 100x better if you've taken proper lessons from a teacher before hand, because you'll have a good idea what you should be practicing instead of figuring it out in your own. By themselves the programs will only help you learn the mechanics of sight-reading, but there's a whole lot more to playing music than just "typing" the notes.

... a few more apps to checkout: Simply Piano, Tenuto, iRealPro, Scales-A-Practice Assistant

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
... a few more apps to checkout: Simply Piano, Tenuto, iRealPro, Scales-A-Practice Assistant

Thanks I'll look these up as well.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
And there is also Yousician for multiple platforms.

But what we mostly use is Piano Maestro, I use it regularly and my daughter sometimes. It also has the Czerny books which our teacher sometimes uses. We got a one year subscription after I went through all the free levels.

Simply Piano I think is very good (its "jump back" mechanism is really good), but it does not slow down yet and I really need that.

For a very young beginner the same company has "Piano Dust Buster" that is more simple than Piano Maestro.

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)
P
P
I like NoteTrainer. It's available on Kindle Fire or Ipad, you can get a free or paid version. There is practice mode to use, obviously for practice. It shows one note at a time. The play mode brings in the notes slowly at first, then picks up the pace as the game progresses. You can set it for either bass or treble, depending on what you need to practice.

J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
Good recommendations: Note Trainer, Simply Piano, and Piano Dust Buster. I'll check them all online.

R
R
I'm also a fan of Yousician - I prefer it over Piano Maestro although the latter is better for children. Flashnote Derby or Staff Wars are skill-and-drill games for note learning, loads of my students like Staff Wars (though as person whose special interest is in games, I'm not a huge fan).

B Mus, M Teach (Secondary), M Mus Ed (currently completing)
http://www.pianolessonswithrebecca.com/
http://gamesinmusiced.wordpress.com
J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
ok, Yousician, Flashnote Derby, Staff Wars. I'll see what they do.
Thanks for the suggestions, Rebecca. This has been a valuable thread.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission