2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,410 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Assuming the resolution will be high enough to render readable notation at distance, and the FOV won't be so narrow as to be distracting. I think it's be a few generations of AR before we'll have something technically feasible, let alone cost effective.
The Magic Leap glasses came out late last year.
1. $2300 ... ouch.
2. Limited field of view
3. Limited resolution
You were right on all counts.

And I'm quite disappointed.

I did some work in the AR space a few years ago.

"Everyone" was waiting for the high definition, high refresh rate, and efficient small screens. We thought only the big mobile phone makers could make this happen (catalyzing fast R&D, huge production volumes, and for low prices for everyone). That didn't happen as mobile phone makers promoted other features (like big screens). People moved on pretty quickly from AR, unfortunately.

But today, we are finally seeing a few phones with high performance screens so that might give AR a bit of a bump. On the other hand, I'm not sure there will be much traction, particularly following the FaceBook AR fiasco and the goofy Google Glass.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Not sure if this works on a kindle (Don't have one but worth mentioning)

A fantastic program to handle sheet music is Mobilesheets. If your device can run it I highly recommend.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by newer player

I did some work in the AR space a few years ago.

"Everyone" was waiting for the high definition, high refresh rate, and efficient small screens. We thought only the big mobile phone makers could make this happen (catalyzing fast R&D, huge production volumes, and for low prices for everyone). That didn't happen as mobile phone makers promoted other features (like big screens). People moved on pretty quickly from AR, unfortunately.

But today, we are finally seeing a few phones with high performance screens so that might give AR a bit of a bump. On the other hand, I'm not sure there will be much traction, particularly following the FaceBook AR fiasco and the goofy Google Glass.

AR is on a pretty significant upswing, actually. Perhaps not quite in the goofy-looking Magic Leap/Hololens perspective (though those are making constant in-roads), but Apple is really laying the groundwork for some compelling smart-phone mediated (non-immersive) technology. The latest ARKit has real-time human occlusion, real-world reflection and refraction, and more.

Sadly, I don't think that will be of much use for displaying scores, but it may allow you place a nice Steinway D into a photo of your living room smile

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I had completely forgotten about this thread. Gombessa, you were stop on about this:
Originally Posted by Gombessa

But in a year or two it will get even better. When Magic Leap finally releases their dual optical processor glasses (they don't use the term "lens"), we'll be able to wear the display as a pair of glasses. The sheet music will be superimposed on our visual field, fixed to the piano desk.
Assuming the resolution will be high enough to render readable notation at distance, and the FOV won't be so narrow as to be distracting. I think it's be a few generations of AR before we'll have something technically feasible, let alone cost effective.
The Magic Leap glasses came out late last year.
1. $2300 ... ouch.
2. Limited field of view
3. Limited resolution
You were right on all counts.

And I'm quite disappointed.

I also wonder if AR will have the same issues as VR not being suitable for 50% of the population due to inner-ear issues. At times, I feel that I must be unique in not being affected negatively by VR and everyone already me can't take more than an hour of VR at a time.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission