2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,931 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Nahum
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

Nobody can teach this kid. Nobody.
Ie You say the following: she doesn't have a musical ear, doesn't sing a single song, because no one can teach her to sing?
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. How did you arrive at that ridiculous conclusion? wow

Then you say that child has an ear for music, can sing songs and can learn a new one?

Again, I don't know how you arrived at that conclusion. yawn

Now I'm really confused! Your student have or doesn't have an ear for music? She sings or doesn't sing the songs? She can or can't learn the new song?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Nahum, AZNpiano - I read the original story you are talking about. The student had lessons with another teacher before coming to AZN; her thumbs so to say glued to middle C. This to me suggests previous teaching because this "middle C" thing is an existing teaching method. It's technical. As much as playing the piano is musical, it is also technical and if there is misteaching on the technical side for that many years, it's entrenched and hard to get out of. Even if you are aware, and motivated, and want to get out of it, it's hard.

In this case whether or not she can sing (this is piano )or is musical, are moot. We join together musical feeling, physical action, and also reading skills when we play. When one of them is out of whack, it throws everything. I know that you believe strongly in the primordial role of singing, Nahum. I imagine that might work well in starting out. But if a student has a 5 year entrenched reflex of being glued to middle C with the thumbs and who knows what else, then it's a different situation.

I'm dealing with different things of that nature. I assure you that I am a natural singer with a strong musical sense. But the work that I have to do involves relearning physical things that were mislearned and which interfere. That is as an adult with strong motivation, with an understanding of what is going on, and with the ability to persevere which comes with a more mature age. Otherwise I, too, would be "impossible to teach" even with the ability to sing and being musical.

N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by keystring
if there is misteaching on the technical side for that many years, it's entrenched and hard to get out of. Even if you are aware, and motivated, and want to get out of it, it's hard.

Keystring,   In this case, I'm not trying to solve a problem that is unsolvable, but get around to it - for example, go just to singing, and temporarily stopping to touch the piano.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Now I'm really confused! Your student have or doesn't have an ear for music? She sings or doesn't sing the songs? She can or can't learn the new song?

[facepalm]

Your line of questioning makes absolutely no sense.

This student may or may not have an ear for music. I don't know. She may or may not sing. She takes private voice lessons, but that doesn't mean anything. She may or may not learn songs via singing--I don't have facts to support or refute that claim.

Stop asking hypothetical questions. What good can possibly come out of your line of reasoning?

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N

Your line of questioning makes absolutely no sense.
It's in your eyes, not in my .
In my experience of 45 years of teaching I have also had failures, in which, however, blame only the me .I already talked about student 24 years old, who suffers of dyscalculia and although playing on the notes, but absolutely without rhythm. She came to me after a number of teachers who didn't help her.
The first thing I did, forced her to walk with counting and without to establish whether she has a sense of rhythm. It turns out that, yes! And then I threw out a routine method of teaching piano, suggested she to purchase melodica : and we began to work intensively according to my method on the development of sustainability sense of rhythm, but without the piano.
This helped greatly, and now enables to laugh at the standard material for the study of rhythm.

This student may or may not have an ear for music. I don't know. She may or may not sing.
This is the first thing that I would find out.
Stop asking hypothetical questions. What good can possibly come out of your line of reasoning?

If you don't want - don't answer; but please don't tell what to do!

Last edited by Nahum; 07/28/16 04:34 AM.
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by chasingrainbows
AZN, this is exactly what I mean about cases where a teacher has no choice but to lower expectations -- we are not miracle workers. We do our best in every lesson to inspire and educate, but once they walk out of the lesson room, it is sink or swim on their own.

Okay, maybe it's time to play the percentages. Are you saying that 95% of your students are the "sink or swim" type?

For me, I just fired four of those "sink or swim" students this past month. My schedule is still somewhat cluttered, but it feels much better now, and I have more flexibility. As a result:

70% of my current students are on track to getting to Advanced Level. A few are already there.

20% of my students are the recreational "have fun" students. But I like them and enjoy working with them.

10% of my students are waiting to be fired.

I can be vociferous about the 10%, but that doesn't mean I'm going to lower my expectations for the 70%.

I do lower my expectations for the 20%, but they are enjoying the process, and I don't mind spending time with these students, who are genuinely having fun.

Hopefully, this makes things clear. I think we are talking past each other.

AZN, after I've figured out my percentages, I will respond. But I think we understand one another. smile

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You guys are making me wonder which of these categories my teacher would place me in, but all the same, I'm glad I don't know. As long as he keeps on being my teacher, I will keep on following his instructions.

Learner
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by malkin
You guys are making me wonder which of these categories my teacher would place me in, but all the same, I'm glad I don't know. As long as he keeps on being my teacher, I will keep on following his instructions.

thumb
At least, we don't fit into the 'adults who take a few months of lessons, don't practice and then quit' category. One negative category excluded, many more to knock out.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin

If it makes you feel better--

Even if the student is on track to reaching the advanced level, he/she may cause more headache than the "waiting to be fired" student. The lack of progress. The slow progress. The excuses for not having practiced. yadda yadda yadda. The most talented students can also be the laziest.

Heck, I have a student who has already reached the advanced level, and she's giving me more headache than ever! She was never much of a practicer, and she relied on her natural talent to make it all the way through. Now that she got her level 10 certificate, it's like she stopped touching the piano altogether.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
And what I find so frustrating is those advanced students who only practice on lesson day. I always entice them with a comment like, "just imagine what you could play if you practiced more!" Dreaming, again......

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
B
B
"Talent is wasted on the lazy" - Groucho Wilde

If music be the food of love, play on!
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm sorry but I have to ask -- what is "step up" and "skip down" for? I don't think these terms were ever used with me.

~piano teacher in training~
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by hello my name is
I'm sorry but I have to ask -- what is "step up" and "skip down" for? I don't think these terms were ever used with me.

It's entirely possible that your teachers used a different kind of method books, or didn't use method books at all.

Steps and skips are different ways of teaching seconds and thirds, reading notes by intervals (intervallic reading). Most modern methods use this method to encourage faster reading of notes.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by hello my name is

It's entirely possible that your teachers used a different kind of method books, or didn't use method books at all.

Steps and skips are different ways of teaching seconds and thirds, reading notes by intervals (intervallic reading). Most modern methods use this method to encourage faster reading of notes.

Oh thanks! Yeah, never learned it that way. Very interesting.

~piano teacher in training~
i'm new here but old in life and just read through all of these fine comments; I'd like to provide some life education to someone that has made several statements in here and that is: Never give up on a person especially a child. Stay with them through thick or thin as it may and most likely will make a difference in the long run. Take the problem child under your wing.

You Tube -> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1fK7ODxDDtJeEyRChNEyUA

www.no-more-odor.com
www.natures-salves.com

Learning Piano is like losing weight - very very slow!

You did not gain weight over night and you will not play like Ludwig van Beethoven Over Night!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

70% of my current students are on track to getting to Advanced Level. A few are already there.

20% of my students are the recreational "have fun" students. But I like them and enjoy working with them.

10% of my students are waiting to be fired.

I can be vociferous about the 10%, but that doesn't mean I'm going to lower my expectations for the 70%.

I do lower my expectations for the 20%, but they are enjoying the process, and I don't mind spending time with these students, who are genuinely having fun.

Hopefully, this makes things clear. I think we are talking past each other.

Thank you for being honest. Your distribution is very realistic. When one's income is from teaching, one needs to bear all the torture from that 10% to be fired students. Close to end of my teaching career many years ago (at the time, I had had good job), I started firing students who did not practice, parents who were difficult to deal with. But now close to retirement age, I am thinking of teaching again after I retire.

Last edited by RonaldSteinway; 08/22/16 07:00 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission