2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
OP Offline
W
Hi all,
been looking at 2nd hand piano and interested in a U3A at $4200 vs a US7X at $4500. They are all Japan exports.
The U3A is cleaner. The hammers are like brand new and the dealer says it has been changed in Japan. Tuning pins and strings are all bright. I did not check beyond.
The US7x is not as clean with some tarnish on pins and string (no rust). Ivorite keys are all yellowed. I guess that is normal?

1. Is there anyway to clean/restore the ivorite keys to original off white or at least close? Its for my daughters and they find the yellow keys "dirty" and off putting.

2. Which represents better value? Sound wise, they prefer US7X but prefers U3A action.

thanks in advance.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You didn't mention age, but I'd be inclined to lean toward the U3A.

Shinny tuning pins and new hammers aside, which piano sounds and plays the best to you? That's also an indicator of future satisfaction from a piano.

I'm no expert, but I doubt you would be able to completely remove the yellowing from the ivorite keys, but I could be wrong. And, key-top replacement is a tedious and cumbersome job if done correctly.

Good luck and keep us informed!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
W
OP Offline
W
Thanks Rick.
The U3A is 1985 => 30 yaers.
The US7x is 1993 => 22 years.
I don't play but its for my 2 daughters and my wife used to play a little (grade 5 if I remember).
Sound wise, we prefer the US7x. Play wise, my wife prefers U3A.

Does anyone know AT32? Is it as good as US7x?

T
T
Hello! I'm new here too so I'm singularly unqualified to advise you but like you I've also been on the hunt for a new piano and have seen quite a few older Kawai and Yamaha. In fact those are the 2 most common makes here and the U3 is particularly abundant.
Generally I think with used pianos its really a matter of compromise: at that age some things would have to give so you'll have to decide if you can live with the shortcoming. On the other hand, you can hold out a bit more, if the dealer has frequent changes of stock, and see if another unit comes in which you thoroughly like.
With regards to the sound: Can the U3 be revoiced? With regards to the action, will the Kawai benefit from regulation?
One small thing about refurbished U3 pianos: Who did the refurbishing and with what parts? I'm no expert on this but there are 2 dealers in imported Japanese pianos where I live: One says his pianos are all refurbished in Japan and they come in all shiny and spotless. Another says he does all the refurbishing in house because he doesn't know what was done by whom in Japan. His pianos look tarnished and the lacquer coat is less shiny but the action is all good and the sound usually is.
Choices, choices, choices smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I am very familiar with both pianos of consideration. First of all you should search out in the piano forum archives on both models. If I remember correctly I wrote a ton of critique on both models both their pros and cons over the years. Both models are gray market mdls, not officially sold NEW in the USA. The modern U3 mdl. is still being produced for the US domestic market and sold at authorized Yamaha dealers but the U3A was the last scale design produced in the Japanese Hammamatsu factory for Japan only. The U3A was discontinued for other newer models (U30A U30BL etc.)in Japan at around 1986. Personally I prefer the Kawai US7X over the grey market Yamaha U3A but it is a subjective preference of the player. Kawai had the large music rack. Pretty important to me/ The Kawai US7X I recall is not much different than the US6X which was a Kawai U.S. mdl. I think the only difference is that the US6X had a true sostenuto middle pedal. I'm actually amazed I can still remember all this stuff. My memory hasn't gone yet. The action geometry are totally different with the Yamaha having a lighter action. I prefer the firm, even, consistent action of the high level Kawai myself. That Kawai did not have ivorite key tops. Ivorite is a Yamaha thing whereas there is a coating on the acrylic plastic keys. One can actually sand that coating off and buff the keys but again that is Yamaha. That was actually a Yamaha warranty recall in the states. The original Yamaha ivorite keys got filthy and one could not clean them. Back than Yamaha replaced the keys not just the tops. It is really incredible whereas one could change the actual sticks fitting perfectly Japanese CNC precision. The Kawai keys were naturally yellow when the piano was NEW. They were called Neotex.That is not a sandable coating. If the keys have yellowed more over the years that is because the plastic is discoloring over age. You can look at the sides of the keys to see whether the yellowing is all the way through the thickness of the keytop. If not you could tell the dealer to clean them. I don't know where you are but those prices are high. I sold those pianos way cheaper but they were also 10-15 years newer 10-15 years ago. I'd go brand new nowadays over a semicrusty 30
+ year old asian piano.The import firms don't actually refurbish the Japanese uprts or grands They just clean them and change the repetition threads on the uprts.. If you saw what they looked like after being in Japan for 30 years you would reconsider. You have to realize Japan is a humid detrimental environment. After 30 years ...... Acquiring a grey market piano that is 10 years or newer will not show the detrimental environment but 30 years is a different story. These independent refurbishing firms can not refurbish a grand or an uprt. to the precision level of a NEW Japanese piano period. Be careful and GOOD LUCK! Now you know more than the salesman.

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission