2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
btapps Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I'm running a Piano VST and I need good speakers/monitors that I can use that won't buzz when I hit certain notes (my current $800 speakers do this) and sound good even when played at high volumes.

This isn't for any live gigs, and I won't be using it on stage or anything so I don't need anything super loud. Just enough to fill a living room.

What I'm looking for:
- Good quality sound
- Nothing over $200
- 3.5mm connection

I'm thinking about getting the Behringer MS40.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
(a) The requirements "Good quality sound" and "Nothing over $200" may be contradictory.

Don't get the MS40's. I have a pair on my desk. They're better than most "computer speakers" or "multi-media speakers":

. . . IMHO, they're not adequate for good piano sound, especially if you want to fill a living room.

But your opinion could be different than mine.

Lots of people here like the JBL LSR305 monitors; I think they're outside your budget. There are several alternatives.

What kind of $800 speakers do you have that buzz? Are you sure it's the speakers, and not something else in the room, vibrating sympathetically? Could something be loose on the speaker cabinets? At that price, they should work _right_.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
B
btapps Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks. And yeah, I realize $200 is a bit tight but I spent so much on everything else that I only have that much left to spend.

The MS40's, while they may not be "superb," are they better than my current sound system? Which is a Bose 5.1 surround sound system, I just plug it in using a 3.5mm input cable.

And they buzz when I hit certain notes.

And I'm looking for a stereo setup. What about the Mackie CR4's?

http://www.amazon.com/Mackie-CR4-Pair-Reference-Multimedia/dp/B00KVEIY4O

P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
A pair of the JBL LSR305's is $229 on Amazon right now (it's called a "pack of two"). Pretty close to your $200 budget, and worth the upcharge imo.

Staying completely within your budget - Musician's Friend has the Tannoy Reveal 402's for $180/pr. I own the next size up, the 502's, and they're quite good. Read the reviews of the 402's at MF - overall, very positive (and I think realistic, which is to say the speakers are basically accurate and musically satisfying and will play decently loud. Won't peel the paint off the walls, and don't claim to shake the floor with massive bass).

Last edited by pwl; 05/01/16 03:10 AM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
If you can squeeze out an extra $94, take a look at the Eris E5. I have had great luck with them past couple years. Sound great with my DP's and my VST's (Pianoteq5 and Hammersmith Pro). Very detailed and enjoyable sound. They are a bit more forgiving and less directional than the higher end monitors which do their job so well pointing out every flaw in the piano samples. The E5 is very good entry level monitor and excellent value for stage pianos and VST IMO based on 100+ hours of listen to them with 3 different quality stage pianos and 2 credible VST pianos as well as some music straight off my iPad. I added the subwoofer, really dont need it but it fills in the lower end very nicely when needed, especially on non -piano voices such as strings, pads, synths, etc. A real 'wow' factor for sure.

Review:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct13/articles/presonus-eris.htm

Buy:
http://www.amazon.com/PreSonus-Eris-E5-Active-Monitor/dp/B00CP4IJH0
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ErisE5

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have the E5's as well, but feel that they lack something without my Presonus Temblor T10. When I turn the subwoofer off, the E5's lose some of their richness.

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-5s, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Yamaha YC61, Pianoteq 7.0, Native Instruments, Gig Performer
My motto: Play and Let Play!
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
True, but with any 5 inch monitor, some low end and richness will be lacking. Again, trying to keep it around $200 for OP's budget I felt Eris was a good option to put on the list for the extra money.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Another vote here for the JBL LSR305 monitors. I don't use a sub with them, so that may be something that in the future you'd want for either those or the nearest competitor in that price range, the Eris 5. Those were the two that I compared when pricing out monitors. I think what won me over to the JBLs was a review on sound on sound magazine's website. But they are both great values for the price. With speakers this size, however, you will need to have a sub I think. I don't and I'm fine with it as-is, but I do hear where it would be a nice bonus.

Is there a reason for the need of a 3.5mm connection though? Both the Eris and the JBL require 1/4" or XLR, and you will need something to split them out to left and right from the stereo headphone output from your laptop or computer (if that's why you require the 3.5mm). It can be done, but it would be a bit messy and not true stereo with left and right, but rather two stereo signals to each monitor.

Again, it can work, but since you appear to want quality sound, you'd be better off having an interface that would give true left and right signals to the appropriate monitor, and will resolve the issue of needing the 3.5mm adapters or plug.

Perhaps you already have one that would suffice, if not, you may want to consider that in your budget, even though these monitors are pushing that limit. It would be an extra $40 or so.

Also, don't forget you can look at craigslist and ebay for used to come in under budget.

Last edited by Morodiene; 05/04/16 08:52 AM.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Morodiene
With speakers this size, however, you will need to have a sub I think. I don't and I'm fine with it as-is, but I do hear where it would be a nice bonus.

I agree with Morodiene. I use a subwoofer just to "fill in" the low end, not take it over. It is a nice bonus when using 5" monitors. But I just use the sub with the slightest setting. That's all piano sound needs IMO. Too much gets overpowering and unrealistic. As I mentioned, the sub can really bring out the non-piano sounds on a keyboard when turned up a bit.

Also, yes, the JBL LSR305 does get great reviews almost everywhere you look. I have yet to hear them to comment. Might be a perfect fit for you for price, value, and sound.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Another definite "No" for the MS40 and a definite "Yes" for the JBL LSR 305 in that price range.
Before the 305, I had the Behringer Truth B2030A. They only went down to 50hz and sounded a bit thin for piano. In the medium and higher octaves they were good enough, but go below the C3 and they started to feel thin and unrealistic for the purpose. And consider they were a lot more powerful than the MS40 - I doubt those pack enough power for a realistic piano experience, even if you disregard the frequency response issue.

As Morodiene, I also don't have a subwoofer and feel that the 305 are good enough for piano without one. Really pleased with them, clear, very balanced response across the frequencies, with a rather impressive sound-stage and enough power, and they do go significantly lower than anything else in this price range. I don't think you can get anything better for this sort of money (and consider that in my country they're ~330$). Guys from the States are really lucky with the pricing of these.
They do have a downside as well - some pairs have a loud hiss, I have seen other complaints as well, while some swear their inaudible. Unfortunately, in this price range, other manufacturers provide some noisy monitors as well. You have to pay several times more if you want to be (almost) sure there'll be no hiss. My first pair of 305 had loud hissing (easily audible from over 2m in a quiet room). I returned it and bought a used pair over the internet from somebody who swore they're silent. While they're not perfectly silent, now the hiss is indeed almost inaudible in the listening position (at ~80cm from the tweeter).
I'm really pleased with them now (although it would've been easier to have nailed it the first time). They're small (like half the size of 8" monitors), very light (placed on top of the piano without worries), and look nice in my opinion, and the sound really ticks all the boxes if you're not willing to spend at least 2 times as much.

Bottom line - this is your best chance and for an excellent price. If you can afford it, chances are you won't regret it. Else, it's better to wait.
I'm willing to bet that you'll feel the MS40 won't be good enough if you get them for playing piano. Better wait than get them.

Last edited by mcoll; 05/04/16 01:33 PM.
M
M
Originally Posted by mcoll
Another definite "No" for the MS40 and a definite "Yes" for the JBL LSR 305 in that price range.
Before the 305, I had the Behringer Truth B2030A. They only went down to 50hz and sounded a bit thin for piano. In the medium and higher octaves they were good enough, but go below the C3 and they started to feel thin and unrealistic for the purpose. And consider they were a lot more powerful than the MS40 - I doubt those pack enough power for a realistic piano experience, even if you disregard the frequency response issue.

As Morodiene, I also don't have a subwoofer and feel that the 305 are good enough for piano without one. Really pleased with them, clear, very balanced response across the frequencies, with a rather impressive sound-stage and enough power, and they do go significantly lower than anything else in this price range. I don't think you can get anything better for this sort of money (and consider that in my country they're ~330$). Guys from the States are really lucky with the pricing of these.
They do have a downside as well - some pairs have a loud hiss, I have seen other complaints as well, while some swear their inaudible. Unfortunately, in this price range, other manufacturers provide some noisy monitors as well. You have to pay several times more if you want to be (almost) sure there'll be no hiss. My first pair of 305 had loud hissing (easily audible from over 2m in a quiet room). I returned it and bought a used pair over the internet from somebody who swore they're silent. While they're not perfectly silent, now the hiss is indeed almost inaudible in the listening position (at ~80cm from the tweeter).
I'm really pleased with them now (although it would've been easier to have nailed it the first time). They're small (like half the size of 8" monitors), very light (placed on top of the piano without worries), and look nice in my opinion, and the sound really ticks all the boxes if you're not willing to spend at least 2 times as much.

Bottom line - this is your best chance and for an excellent price. If you can afford it, chances are you won't regret it. Else, it's better to wait.
I'm willing to bet that you'll feel the MS40 won't be good enough if you get them for playing piano. Better wait than get them.

RE: hissing, I experienced a bit of this and happened to have a power conditioner handy, so I plugged them into that and there's no hissing problem now.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Didn't have one and wasn't willing to spend more for one. I did try the (brand new) speakers on different circuits, some completely isolated, and with or without input connected and the hiss was unchanged in all contexts.
I did a search and there are others (though not many) reporting this problem as well.
The second pair, same model, same power circuit and everything else - the hiss is almost imperceptible. I'm a happy camper now smile That's till the next GAS attack hits.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission