2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2542538 05/23/16 02:27 PM
L
OP Offline
L
I just turned 15, and I would really like to start teaching piano at home. I passed the RCM grade 10 exam around a year ago, and I'm working towards my ARCT in piano performance. I would be willing to study and read about pedagogy. Would you consider me as too young or inexperienced to teach?

S
S
As a parent, I would want to know that you had apprenticed under an experienced teacher for a period of time or that you were an assistant teacher for group lessons under an experienced teacher.

I don't know if it's reasonable to have that hesitation just because of age, but it's not clear to me that a 15 year old would have the emotional maturity to sort through the very real emotional immaturity of a 5 or 6 year old student.

Your piano skills may well be extraordinary, but I would like the other requisites for teaching to be evaluated and guided by an expert for a while.

Adult Beginner/Early Intermediate
Knabe 1902 Grand
D
D
The ability to perform a skill, no matter what a persons age, never automatically qualifies them to teach such a skill. This is why learning institutions from grade school to college require any prospective teachers to not only have the knowledge and the proper credentials (college degree[s], Doctorate, etc.) necessary to teach the subject which they are applying for, but they must also have a teaching certificate. This helps assure the learning institution that the teacher they are considering for employment has the ability to present the subjects corriculum in a proven and acceptable format that assures the most amount of learning success for their students as possible.

Could a child teach piano? Anything is possible, but I would think that any prospective piano student or young students parent would be quite hesitant about piano lessons given by a 15 year old.

My apologies if this isn't what you wanted to hear, but child protigies, although skilled at performing, lack the maturity and structure to teach by virtue of them not having had enough interaction or experience with people of different age groups, let alone dealing with untrained students of the piano. I think you should continue on with your own piano studies, spend some time thinking about your future and possible career choices, and use all your other spare time to, you know, be a kid.

Regards,
Andy

1979 Yamaha C7D
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Lilian Redmond
I just turned 15, and I would really like to start teaching piano at home. I passed the RCM grade 10 exam around a year ago, and I'm working towards my ARCT in piano performance. I would be willing to study and read about pedagogy. Would you consider me as too young or inexperienced to teach?

It all depends on your price. Be sure to ask around to find out what would be reasonable for someone your age. You will be able to get some students that you can learn how to teach on, and they will be getting lessons for a bargain rate.

It sounds like you have a teacher, so please consult with them as you teach to help devise a plan for each student.

We all have to start somewhere, and many people would rather go with an unassuming young person to start just to see if their kids are interested. Low investment on their part, and the chance to develop your skills as a teacher. Win-win, IMO. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Be sure to observe some lessons for beginners and young children given by an excellent teacher. That's the best way to learn. And yes do consult with your own teacher on an ongoing basis.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
I'm with Heather and Morodiene. Give it a shot, and try to do no harm. You won't be any worse than many other piano teachers. But of course you should start reading a bit in the field of piano pedagogy. Immediately. There aren't many books specifically aimed at the beginning piano teacher, but at least read one or two and take thorough notes.

If you are dealing with a couple of children who are absolute beginners, force yourself to use different beginning method books for each child, and take some notes after each lesson on what works and what doesn't with each series.

Somehow we assume you will try your luck with younger children than yourself, but you might find it easier getting started by working with adult amateurs, perhaps seniors. They'll probably help you more.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
The idea to observe fine teachers is great in the abstract, but not easy to make happen in reality. Unless it's your own teacher who allows you to sit in now and again. Or you find some beginner public lessons on YouTube.

L
OP Offline
L
Thanks for all the helpful advice! I will keep it in mind.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I second the idea of working with older students. Find out why a strong foundation is SO important.
Maybe help them improvise or play jazz or read a fake book. Find out what they know and build from there.
Would you want a brand new never set foot in a classroom person taking on a kindergartner? Even if they could handle all levels of math and reading and had high test scores?
Being a good engineer does not necessarily make a good teacher. But, experience is key.
Shadow a teacher, if possible.
Have you accompanied? Even that has lessons in working with others and communication.

But, maybe not a young beginner, yet... don't rush yourself.
"You are fifteen, going on sixteen.. "
Good luck!😃

Learning as I teach.
B
B
My first teacher was 18, and I was her first student (aged 10). She'd just obtained her teaching diploma from the ABRSM at the time. (No parent in my home country would hire any piano teacher who didn't have a teaching qualification......and my mother was looking for the cheapest teacher wink ).

With hindsight, she was probably the best teacher I could have had at the time - she knew how to inspire a kid who had no interest in music, and no knowledge of any sort of music, whose parents didn't even care for music, and who had no music at home to listen to. She could understand how the mind of a kid my age worked, and knew how to dangle carrots in front of me (by playing me theme music from a movie I was then infatuated with, promising to teach me to play it when I was good enough) as well as be firm when it was needed. Her excellent playing skills helped a lot - she could easily improvise by ear on any tune (in a classical style) and make it sound interesting - which made it seem natural to me that I too should (eventually) be able to do the same -, as well as having a great knowledge of the classical repertoire: she played me a tuneful classical piece at the end of every lesson to show me what I could be playing if I kept practicing, and worked on my technique and musicality.

So, don't underestimate the importance of your own playing skills as a teacher, and remember that good music played well can inspire kids who have no particular interest in music or the piano.

If music be the food of love, play on!

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission