2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, 8 invisible), 1,163 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
That's great news! Are you getting it?

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
J
OP Offline
J
Know what, ebonykawai? It's a fine piano, but given the price, my tech was convinced that I could find something with a better finish and a better action. So it's still a potential, but I don't think it would be unwise to give it some more time. In particular, he thought that I would want more from the action in a few years time, and that the cost of new action parts would bring the total price higher than it needed to be.

Another words of thanks to all. This forum is awesome! I'll continue to post, for sure smile

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Good decision, JJM.

A very good PW friend offered me a 6 footish Baldwin grand from the early 1900s a while back for free. Of course, it needed a pin block a some other things, but the finish was nice; the action was not bad, but still older and warn. I reluctantly declined the offer. Not sure if I'm loosing my piano-mo-jo, or just wasn't in the mood to fool with it (probably a little of both smile ).

Good luck, and keep us informed!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Yes, good luck, hope you find something great!

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
If the piano spent a lot of time in the university environment it was probably played to death. Usually, this means an action rebuild is in it's future. The L's from this period are built like tanks, so if your tech gives you the OK, it may be a fine choice.. Don't be surprised if the tech comes up with a $5,000 laundry lists of things you should fix for a piano of this age.

Seiler 206, Chickering 145, Estey 2 manual reed organ, Fudge clavichord, Zuckerman single harpsichord, Technics P-30, Roland RD-100.
If the piano spent a lot of time in the university environment it was probably played to death. Usually, this means an action rebuild is in it's future. The L's from this period are built like tanks, so if your tech gives you the OK, it may be a fine choice.. Don't be surprised if the tech comes up with a $5,000 laundry lists of things you should fix for a piano of this age.

Seiler 206, Chickering 145, Estey 2 manual reed organ, Fudge clavichord, Zuckerman single harpsichord, Technics P-30, Roland RD-100.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission