2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (busa, clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,125 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15
A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
I've read JohnSprung somewhere now talking of Night and Day, by Cole Porter. I'm bringing a version to listen to and get it into the Program. laugh I don't know if he has heard this one and/or like it. Cole Porter singing would be ideal but the recording I've found is not good.

Night and Day - U2

Ok, ok, this song is great to play it in whatever manner we want! Good thing I already know a more classic version... Frank Sinatra singing freely

I guess I need to post a classic version now: Frank Sinatra Classic

Last edited by Albunea; 12/23/16 07:34 PM.
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Albunea
I've read JohnSprung somewhere now talking of Night and Day, by Cole Porter.

Alas, neither of those is all that great for ear training, unless your goal is to work on the challenge of a source with poor pitch control. (Part of Sinatra's charm was that women could imagine their boyfriends singing about that well....)

There's a very nice Ella Fitzgerald recording, but it's too advanced and complex for what we want.

Here's Fred Astaire, vocal at 0:23, instrumental at 1:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV5e7mWcQJE

Here's a four hand version that opens with a clear exposition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elA4Nslt654

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by JohnSprung

Alas, neither of those is all that great for ear training, unless your goal is to work on the challenge of a source with poor pitch control.

It's very difficult to find one very faithful to the original. I'm now confused (usual laugh ) and would be difficult to know the original melody. It's such a famous one that each has to make it a bit different. I listened to Ella's one of the first but didn't look faithful either.

Anyhow, I am liking them all. smile This one by The Temptations is beautiful too.

Edit: I went to get the first notes; started it in B, and the Key is not clear yet because I have there A G# G G# so still don't know if it'd be G# and the natural G is an alien, or it is Ab and the A is the extra.
I started the second sentence with 8 Bs in a row! laugh

Edit2: Checking the original Key (won't say in case someone wants to find it), I thought mine should be A Major or E Major, and then tried the first chord of each (Chord site) and only E Major sounds good, so I am doing it in E Major, though funnily there is not a single E in my song yet, after 43 notes.

Last edited by Albunea; 12/24/16 06:43 AM.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Feliz Navidad a todos los tocares del piano! (Although with my fractured Spanish, I may have wished Meery Christmas to all piano keys!)

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
Ja ja ¡Feliz Navidad! smile 3hearts

Your imagination is very good! It's true we say "tocar el piano" so that's the verb, but the person is as simple as "pianista" (un pianista o una pianista).

[Linked Image]

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
¡Gracias!

My recent songs are Twinkle Twinkle, The Fatmer in the Dell, and Old MacDonald had a Farm. I've worked these all out before, and they came back easily.

For Christmas I worked out Deck The Halls, which I hadn't ever worked out previously and I was pleased that although there were some challenges, it fell into place.

My song for today is Lightly Row, which is a tune I learned at age 8 when I was first teaching myself piano using my mother's method books.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
I was away from the piano for some days, but when at home I've gone back to some of the songs I already worked on, like Unforgettable, which I keep forgetting. laugh Hmm I think the only new one was Night and Day.

Edit: I've just found this interpretation of I Wish You Love. He starts and ends it playing only the melody! It is for effect, but the truth is that these beautiful songs sound very good even with just melody.

Last edited by Albunea; 12/29/16 06:59 AM.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I was at a jazz concert last night and they played Night And Day! I thought of you. They also played La Vie En Rose, which could be another possibility for working out the tune.

My song today is Rain Rain Go Away, which is interesting because it's a chant more than a tune. (Who Stole The Cookies In The Cookie Jar is another chant-more-than-tune.). But I have an interest in working out the intonations of speech as actual pitches, so it's a fun challenge.

Only three more weeks of nursery rhymes and then I start on folk songs smile . But seriously, I'm finding it useful to lay in this foundation of simpler tunes. This is generally true of a lot of my learning: I like going back to the very basics and spending time there before building upwards.

A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
If those songs are easier for you, great, but they as melodies are not easier than famous romantic songs. The only difficulty with real songs might be linking the several parts, but folk songs must have them too, I guess. In any case, for the exercise the best is to do songs we want to do and know very well.

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I was at a jazz concert once and it felt like they played night and day! wink

A happy new 'ear' to all my friends on this thread smile

Richard
A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
Jaja

Happy New Year! smile

Edit: I don't know why I laughed in Spanish. Maybe because I read you somewhere that you were living in Granada in the past laugh

Last edited by Albunea; 12/29/16 05:24 PM.
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Sí, Albunea. Fue en la discoteca La Chumbera que tuve mi primera y última experiencia de cannabis. También me emborraché esa noche en 1977 - pero solamente dos veces desde entonces. ¡No se lo digas a nadie! wink

Tenían un cóctel eponimo, una Chumbera, para el que me encantaría conseguir la receta.

Richard
A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
Jajajaja Ya veo que aprendiste muchas cosas... ¡como español perfecto!

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Albunea
If those songs are easier for you, great, but they as melodies are not easier than famous romantic songs. The only difficulty with real songs might be linking the several parts, but folk songs must have them too, I guess. In any case, for the exercise the best is to do songs we want to do and know very well.

I think your last sentence is right on the money.

I think which songs motivate people or that they find easier to start with will vary by person. For me these nursery songs seem easier because they mostly move through the scale in simple ways. Also using my list of Piano Magic songs (which I've ordered by genre) gives me a systematic way to work through songs which for me motivates me to keep at it consistently.

My most recent songs -- Do you know the muffin man?, Pop goes the weasel, and London Bridge -- bring me into territory of songs I haven't worked out before. They took some trial and error, but I feel like I could easily hear when I had a wrong note vs. a right note, which didn't used to be true for me.

How are things going for you? What are you working on?

A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
Did you notice I was being too lazy with this? laugh Well, I was. I read you now and went to play one: I Wish You Love. It's a very good one, recommended, though the first part after "Goodbye" (no use leading without chin, etc.) is similar but I am a bit confused with all that; need to hear it more.

For my personal taste, our list might as well have been Rod Stewart's Great American SongBook. I have one of the CDs, the one with "My Foolish Heart", and have listened to it lots. My tesitura is also like his. laugh The accompanying music sounds fantastic to me. smile Other CDs I know by heart are the duets Frank Sinatra did in the 90s, with amazing music.

A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
Last I've been picking is Call Me Irresponsible. I started it in Eb.

Greener, you'll have to be more active here for some months to push PianoStudent88, because I'll be busy myself to do a new song every three days.

A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
Last I've been playing around with is Sabor a Mí:

Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission