2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,453 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2604884 01/16/17 06:33 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Greetings.

I have the opportunity to take home a used MP8-II 400€ (~430 USD) cheaper than a new VPC1.

Considering I'm going to use either of them just for software pianos (Pianoteq and Galaxy Vintage D, mostly), would you say it's worth getting this used piano or wait and get a VPC1 later (few months down the line)?

I think the MP8ii uses an older model of the same action on the VPC1, but I don't know if it's worth paying so much for the upgrade.

I'm not particularly concerned about the VPC's default touch curves. I'm a bit concerned about action heaviness though...I'd rather get the lighter action if possible (personal preferences after all!)

Thanks in advance.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Mr Zaxels
Greetings.

I have the opportunity to take home a used MP8-II 400€ (~430 USD) cheaper than a new VPC1.

Considering I'm going to use either of them just for software pianos (Pianoteq and Galaxy Vintage D, mostly), would you say it's worth getting this used piano or wait and get a VPC1 later (few months down the line)?

I think the MP8ii uses an older model of the same action on the VPC1, but I don't know if it's worth paying so much for the upgrade.

I'm not particularly concerned about the VPC's default touch curves. I'm a bit concerned about action heaviness though...I'd rather get the lighter action if possible (personal preferences after all!)

Thanks in advance.

Do you mean 400e for MP8 or 1000e - 400e cheaper compare to VPC (more or less) ? VPC is about 1400e.
I always suggest new product vs used, but if you have that option for 400e and money is a problem, actions are similar, heaviness also, go for MP8. I dont like second option 1000e for MP8 (more or less), I will go for VPC in that case.

Last edited by slobajudge; 01/16/17 07:12 AM.
M
OP Offline
M
400 cheaper, so the MPII (with a stand) is 900€, while the VPC1 (with a stand) would be 1300€

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Mr Zaxels
400 cheaper, so the MPII (with a stand) is 900€, while the VPC1 (with a stand) would be 1300€

Too close for me, I will go for VPC, of course if you want to use only piano VSTs.

Last edited by slobajudge; 01/16/17 07:15 AM.
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Those prices are far too much for both, the MP8II and the VPC1.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by lophiomys
Those prices are far too much for both, the MP8II and the VPC1.

While I think the MP8-II is too expensive, compared to a new €1539 MP7, the VPC1 at €1400 isn't excessively priced. Thomann.de sells it for €1329, so if this is coming from a different webshop or store, I can see it being more expensive.

Kawai Novus NV-10 | Pianoteq 7
(Kremsegg 1 & 2, Ruckers II, Karsten, KIVIR, Steinway D, K2)
Intel NUC J5040, 8GB, SSD | iPad Pro 12.9 2018 | forScore
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
You are not getting my point: IMO both items are overpriced.
No matter which dealer, of course do they try to keep the price high up in the sky.

Looking at the VPC1, I think it is necessary to add the price of a full regulation at a piano technician. (If you can find one, who is willing to touch such a thing. (cf. Ravenworks 40hours)).
Plus hardware (PC, audio interface) and software.
It is just a MIDI controller after all.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by lophiomys
You are not getting my point: IMO both items are overpriced.
No matter which dealer, of course do they try to keep the price high up in the sky.

Looking at the VPC1, I think it is necessary to add the price of a full regulation at a piano technician. (If you can find one, who is willing to touch such a thing. (cf. Ravenworks 40hours)).
Plus hardware (PC, audio interface) and software.
It is just a MIDI controller after all.

Your point doesn`t lead anywhere. Ravenworks is their wish, no need for regulation in VPC. It is not overpriced, depends what do you want from piano and what tools do you want to use.

P
P
The Kawai VPC-1 does not need further regulation. I completely understand the ''upgrades'made by Ravenworks from a financial goalpost, but the upgrade is not worth the price difference in my opinion.

Every grand piano needs a regulation after transportation from the factory - livingroom. It's the nature of wooden and felt parts, strings etc. that still ''work'' the first couple of years and more........
A digital is constructed with exactly the opposite in mind.........make sure it doesn't need regulation after transportation.
I opened my Kawai MP8 after ten years and cleaned it, and adjusted the spacing between the keys and the height of some keys.
Understandable , because wooden ''working'' keys are involved and therefor could need some minor regulation over time.
It plays as good as day one. I wanted to change the felts also, but i gave it a very good look and didn't see any real improvement by using superiour piano felts ,apart from my own imagination.
Why ? Because the felts in a real grand piano are related to all the rest. The plastic parts in the Kawai and other digitals (wooden keys excluded) don't need high quality piano felts to absorb sound and bounce......
Ravenworks is a great idea, but in essence not really needed, unless you also exchange the actuall plastic parts with wooden parts, then the real piano felts would make a whole lot of difference.

Kawai has the expertise to know what is needed to optimise their digitals, suggesting their concepts of digitals can be improved is only true for the intire concept. IOW Kawai could go in the Avant grand N3 direction where a real action and top materials would mean an upgrade. But not in their current ''placebo'' concept that i consider the best thing next to a real grand piano action.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Mr Zaxels, I have an MP8II at home (connected to my Nord), however I never use the built-in sounds or MIDI controller functionality (beyond the keyboard action), so given the choice would replace it with a VPC1 in a heartbeat.

However, if possible, I recommend that you try to play-test both instruments before making a decision. The VPC1's action is more modern and the product itself is better suited to playing virtual pianos (as the name suggests). However, the MP8II still has a great feeling action, and the benefit of built-in sounds (albeit dated) and powerful 4-zone MIDI master controller functionality.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
lophiomys, I appreciate what you're trying to say, however I believe you're incorrect.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
OP Offline
M
Thank you all for your feedback, I think I'll wait and get a VPC1. The extra MIDI features (knobs and whatnot) are definitely nice, but since I won't use them that much it's not going to make me go for the MP8.

I won't get in the "it's overpriced" discussion; for better or for worse, these are the prices available to buyers, not just for Kawai, but for every other company's equivalent offers.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,195
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission