2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Hello,

Background: Classical and solo jazz pianist by background both on pianos post ~1896 as well as forte pianos and harpsichords. Never owned a digital piano because I have despised the action/sound and lack of acoustic feel to them. But due to living situation and portability I've been looking at them for a while.

Motivation: Purchase a portable digital piano that I can set up to stand at or sit at while at home, or for gigs (wishful thinking), more like jamming with friends. Most important are the piano sound and action, the other sounds are secondary to me as it feels too fake to me to play early pianos on a digital piano when the keys are actually narrower, or the harpsichord because it's a totally different action and no DP that I'm aware of can simulate a harpsichord's nuances in touch. At best, playing those instruments on the DP is a fun thing, not serious. I am enticed by the ability to use the keyboard as a controller or to compose in finale/sibelius/logic with the keyboard+computer combo.

Current Status: I have spent the past 4 years testing out digital pianos from Roland, Kawaii, Yamaha, Korg, Casio and have arrived at liking the action+sound combo of the PHA-50 keyboard and Roland's Supernatural piano sound the best. Between these two, I'm trying to figure out which is better for my use case. I will mostly practice with headphones, and realize that even if I get speakers for the FP90, neither the FP90 nor the RD2000 will sound like the LX17 or an acoustic piano, but I want the portability so the LX17 is out of the picture.

Main Question: Given my background, motivation, and current status, are all the extra controls, abilities, supernatural sounds, and v-piano sounds of the RD2000 worth the additional price + a set of decent speakers to sway me from purchasing the FP90?

Discussion: If I get the FP90, there's an option to get a real stage piano down the road. I happen to like the Nord products in this realm (even the electro), but maybe the RD2000 or its successor could also serve that purpose. I mentioned a good set of speakers for the RD2000, any suggestions for those? I might even get them for the FP90 too if its internal speakers don't do the low notes justice. In addition, there's the possibility of a stage AMP filling that space for both pianos. I also like that the FP90 has a music rest, whereas I'd need to create one for the RD2000. In addition, there are new players now like the Vivo by Dexibell that I haven't tried out. Maybe one of those would suit me best.

Thanks!
C

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Why do you think the FP-90 is not a real stage piano? I think that is, in fact, what it is. The FP series has always had onboard speakers (AFAIK), but that doesn't mean they're not serious. They're just more convenient for the solo pianist who doesn't have the luxury of a PA system or roadies to carry it all.

I do agree with buying monitors for it for home use, however. What you get depends on your budget, but a pair of JBL LSR305's are great for the money.

The RD2000 from what I've seen appears to be more of a stage piano/synth because of the more extensive sounds available. Since you are playing mostly classical and jazz, to me that sounds like having other sounds is not as high on the priority list as it might be for someone who is in a rock band.

If you're into composing, then having onboard sounds isn't as important as you might think. You won't be able to play those sounds through Sibelius or Finale (but you can with Logic), but more importantly, the best sounds are found in software instruments. So onboard sounds are mostly for the convenience of gigging or if you are playing at home and have no desire to use a computer.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Based on your requirements and motivation the FP90 is sufficient.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Given that you've made it clear that it's the basics of good piano tone and touch that matter to you and that you've identified the Roland combination of SN sounds and PHA-50 action that works for you then in your shoes I would get the FP90. The additional sounds and functionality of the RD could be useful but I suspect in your case you'd be happier with the cheaper FP - and the onboard speakers will be useful. It has quite a nice look (less USS Enterprise than the RD). Go for it.

D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by music4thought
Hello,

Background: Classical and solo jazz pianist by background both on pianos post ~1896 as well as forte pianos and harpsichords. Never owned a digital piano because I have despised the action/sound and lack of acoustic feel to them. But due to living situation and portability I've been looking at them for a while.

Motivation: Purchase a portable digital piano that I can set up to stand at or sit at while at home, or for gigs (wishful thinking), more like jamming with friends. Most important are the piano sound and action, the other sounds are secondary to me as it feels too fake to me to play early pianos on a digital piano when the keys are actually narrower, or the harpsichord because it's a totally different action and no DP that I'm aware of can simulate a harpsichord's nuances in touch. At best, playing those instruments on the DP is a fun thing, not serious. I am enticed by the ability to use the keyboard as a controller or to compose in finale/sibelius/logic with the keyboard+computer combo.

Current Status: I have spent the past 4 years testing out digital pianos from Roland, Kawaii, Yamaha, Korg, Casio and have arrived at liking the action+sound combo of the PHA-50 keyboard and Roland's Supernatural piano sound the best. Between these two, I'm trying to figure out which is better for my use case. I will mostly practice with headphones, and realize that even if I get speakers for the FP90, neither the FP90 nor the RD2000 will sound like the LX17 or an acoustic piano, but I want the portability so the LX17 is out of the picture.

Main Question: Given my background, motivation, and current status, are all the extra controls, abilities, supernatural sounds, and v-piano sounds of the RD2000 worth the additional price + a set of decent speakers to sway me from purchasing the FP90?

Discussion: If I get the FP90, there's an option to get a real stage piano down the road. I happen to like the Nord products in this realm (even the electro), but maybe the RD2000 or its successor could also serve that purpose. I mentioned a good set of speakers for the RD2000, any suggestions for those? I might even get them for the FP90 too if its internal speakers don't do the low notes justice. In addition, there's the possibility of a stage AMP filling that space for both pianos. I also like that the FP90 has a music rest, whereas I'd need to create one for the RD2000. In addition, there are new players now like the Vivo by Dexibell that I haven't tried out. Maybe one of those would suit me best.

Thanks!
C

If you intend to play in a band eventually, the RD2000 is the obvious choice if budget can stretch: 1000's of sounds, better midi control ability, great live interface etc.

If you intend to mostly jam and nothing more, and you have no need to be more flexible, why spend the money. You'll need speakers with the RD2000. Decent monitors are going to set you back at least £600 to do it justice. On the other hand, if you buy the FP-90, the onboard speakers may not cut through the jamming band if they have large amps (esp. if there are drums involved).

The Nord products are cool, but IMO, the RD2000 is a better keyboard than the Nord Piano 3 (unless you really like sampled pianos. Music rests are unimportant as you can buy one cheaply. The Dexibell isn't quite competitive, but interesting.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
M
OP Offline
M
Thank you Morodiene, spanishbuddha, essBrace, and Doug M. If I understand correctly, the only things I'll miss by getting the FP90 instead of the RD2000 are:

-- Live abilities
-- Better (significantly?) sounds outside the piano instrument: organ, electronic piano, bells, etc
-- Organ levers

Things that I won't miss:
-- ability to plug into computer and use as a controller
-- feel
-- main piano sound

What does "better midi control ability mean?

C

M
M
Originally Posted by music4thought
Thank you Morodiene, spanishbuddha, essBrace, and Doug M. If I understand correctly, the only things I'll miss by getting the FP90 instead of the RD2000 are:

-- Live abilities
-- Better (significantly?) sounds outside the piano instrument: organ, electronic piano, bells, etc
-- Organ levers

Things that I won't miss:
-- ability to plug into computer and use as a controller
-- feel
-- main piano sound

What does "better midi control ability mean?

C

I think really is comes down to what you like better. It sounds as though you are trying to convince yourself to get the RD2000 despite getting mostly advice to go with the FP-90.

The RD2000 is definitely overkill, unless you are actually gigging, but so what? If that's what you want, go for it!

Perhaps that will force you to try gigging. wink

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
I didn't try the RD2000 yet, but I must say I'm extremely unimpressed with all the none piano sounds in the RD800.
The piano sound is great, although it's a very specific piano sound so I'm not sure it fits to everyone taste.
But all the other sounds is just awful, and I wouldn't recommend this piano to anyone who going to play in a band and need many sounds.

I don't belive Roland have done great improvement in that regard with their RD2000, because Roland want you to buy their Integra 7 to get their truly good sounds.
I would suggest just to listen to the demos of the Integra 7 and hear how better they are.

IMO, except from the piano sound, even the cheap Casio PX-5S have much better sounds than the RD800.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I would love to have a Roland Integra-88 to go with my Pianoteq but, Roland don't make no Integra-88.

The heavens declare the glory of God;
and the firmament sheweth his handywork.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission