Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyers Guide
Who's Online
106 registered (ADWyatt, AZNpiano, alwatson, augustm, 33 invisible), 1957 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 28 of 28 < 1 2 26 27 28
Topic Options
#2539576 - 05/14/16 10:35 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Simon_b Offline

Loc: Kent, UK
Hi

A little late, as I registered some weeks ago, I'm Simon from the UK. I started learning the Piano at about age 7, 8 or 9, back in the late 1960s. I had formal classical lessons at that age, and as an adult have had lessons with two professional Jazz Pianists. In the late 80s I took up classical Guitar and my teacher became a good friend, and for fun I took grade 6 and grade 7 Piano (abrsm), passing the first and failing the second as I hadn't practiced the scales enough! I've studied music academically with the Open University at honors degree level, which helped to complete my BA with them and to obtain their music diploma in 2004. I've played semi-professionally and in various blues and Jazz bands, though I am not a good Jazz Pianist.

As the above probably shows I play a variety of styles. I can read reasonably well and have been working on Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition of late. But sit me down at the Piano without music and ask me to play something I'm most likely to play a 'simple' 12 bar blues in G. That's enough about me...

Piano players that I've listened to a lot, that have influenced my playing are:
Keith Jarrett
Dr John
Elton John
Jerry Lee Lewis
Professor Longhair
Oscar Peterson
Michel Pettrucianni

(I can't play like any of them!)

The forum is a great resource and some of the discussions are very informative and helpful.

Cheers
"It's taken me all my life to learn what not to play."

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
#2539946 - 05/15/16 11:11 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Evangelion Offline

Hello,I'm a new member to this forum.
I've recently starting taking piano again after an incident with a previous dishonest piano teacher.My new teacher told me that my previous lessons were not concise and detailed,and my playing lacks many aspects.
I hope to obtain more insight towards playing the piano from this forum.
I'm currently using a secondhand upright Yamaha piano,practising on odds days for short periods when i'm at home wink

#2547459 - 06/07/16 09:15 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Music20 Offline

Hello, I am Music2020. I love classical piano and clarinet. Beethoven, Rachmaninoff, Chopin and Ravel are my favorite composers for the piano. I have been playing for 1 year as of 06/07/16. I hope to progress far enough to play Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 3 as best as I possibly can.

#2549248 - 06/14/16 04:58 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Bob141 Offline

Hi I'm new here,

Woah this thread was long ago,I've just signed up yesterday. But I've been playing piano for 6-8 years (I couldn't remember exactly). But it is only in the most recent 3 years that I developed an actual interest in playing, I'm now 14. And I've just started the fantasie impromptu, but at this point It's just so confusing to me. Reading through the forums and threads, it seems like I've learnt nothing. The whole time I was just listening and copying my teachers, sure they'd teach me, but I've never asked any questions because I was so shy. So they just assumed I understood and I went along.

Now I feel like my actual knowledge is very vague and shallow. And I'm starting to panic. I've never talked to anyone else I knew that played. Because in real life, I'm just a really timid person, (I once bleed my nose from overheating during a school presentation). Also I have a really lazy habit, just now I was practicing, but when I start to play with both hands I just kind of slacked off.

I guess I wanted to know, if this is normal or not. Me not understanding things, for an example:

I'm really bad with beats and rhythm, I've never talked to anyone on how they study and practice but, To me, whenever, my teachers tells me to stomp my feet for the beat or look at the lines they've drawn on the sheet music, my brains just shut off. It just goes into total panic mode, And I just basically mess everything up, so my teacher would sometimes clap as I play. They think I get it, But I do not think at all of the beats and rhythm, the only reason I managed play things correctly, was because I can remember quite well, what the pieces are supposed to sound like. Because I listen to them in my free time. But I don't know if I could keep pretending anymore. Things are getting way to complexed, how do you keep up with this? And is it normal?

Just a day ago, I didn't know what polyrhythms where (I think I have an idea what they are and I think I've been learning to play them already, but I'm still not sure exactly what they really are), and now these random terms just pop up all the sudden, And Im confused and panicking,I guess, I just know nothing.

But Thank you,
For reading, And I hope you could shed some light to this problem, I have.

Thank you once again.

#2550292 - 06/18/16 11:06 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
jdott Offline

Loc: Colorado, USA
Welcome, Bob. I'm assuming you're referring to the Chopin Fantasie Impromptu Op. 66? If you're working on this piece, you should already have a good understanding of all the items you mentioned. You might not have much aptitude for piano and/or music, or it may be your instruction; not excelling at playing doesn't mean you can't enjoy doing it. Taking this into consideration, I think you should consider changing teachers, and not just anyone. Post the area you live in, and I'm sure someone on the forum could suggest a good teacher. Best wishes

#2555870 - 07/11/16 10:11 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
BigDubs Offline

Loc: NY, USA
Hello. I'm BigDubs from New York and I joined this forum about a month ago during my search for a new digital piano for my teenage daughter.

I took lessons for about a year and a half about 33 years ago and then quit (it was interfering with my 12-year social life). I love all kinds of music and I have always regretted not continuing my lessons. Well, my daughter's playing and her progress has really gotten me excited and after some very humorous conversations with my wife, I've decided to start taking up the piano again at age 45. I will be taking lessons with my daughter's teacher (first lesson is this week!) and have also ordered the first Alfred's book as a supplement.

Like most middle-aged adults, I have a pretty busy life (family, work, etc.), but I've always listened to music as a way to de-stress. I look to play piano for the pure enjoyment it gives me and the calmness it provides. Even now, I still play my very basic pieces that I learned as a kid and I always walk away with a smile. I feel refreshed, calmer and happier whenever I play.

The one pitfall I can see is my own impatience. There are so many complicated pieces that I really want to play, but I know I need to go through the baby steps first. So my expectations are tempered.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I'll be spending a good deal of time in the Adult Beginner's forum. And thank you for this forum.

#2557377 - 07/18/16 04:30 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Lee Ann Offline

Loc: Central Florida
Hello, my name is Lee Ann, and I am from Central Florida. I have two daughter's in college, one who just started school a month ago, leaving me a little traumatized now that the nest is empty. I have been trying to immerse myself back into playing the piano, which was something that was my most favorite thing in the world to do. However, I have not played in at least a decade, maybe more.

I started piano lessons at the age of 10, and continued on with lessons until I was about 14....so not a very long time. My mother moved several times, so I had three difference teachers, and I do not have a very strong foundation. Mostly that is my own fault. At the time I felt that scales were boring and tried to go to the harder stuff, and am now kicking myself that I didn't learn more of the basics back then, so I have been working on the book by Bastien on scales, chords and cadence, and it is helping so much already. I was in love with the piano from the get go and I practiced day and night. Throughout middle school and high school, it was the biggest thing in my life. I'd drop my books on the floor after school, and sit down and play for hours, into the night. I lived in an apartment and my mom had the piano put in my bedroom so that I could play as much as I wanted. Even though I was no longer taking lessons, I remained very passionate about it and when I wanted to learn a song, it may take me a while to learn it, but I would stick to it until I got it. I would say that I am at an intermediate level. I have been learning The Entertainer, the original Scott Joplin version. I've got the first two parts down, now I'm working on the last two parts...I know that I am not playing this very well at this point, lol, but I'm working on learning to play it correctly now.

One other thing I wanted to add is that I am going to be getting a used baby grand piano in the next month or so. My current piano is a horrible, old Henry Miller from the 1960's, I believe, which I bought at a moving sale for $200 15 years ago for my daughter to take lessons on. It has served it's purpose for her, but oh how I do not like this old thing. I am happy that I have something for the time being, but I will be so happy to get my new piano. I have an appointment with a piano dealer later in the week, and I am SO excited about this.....this is literally my dream come true. When I was a little girl, I used to say that I wanted a grand piano, even if it was the only piece of furniture in my house, and nothing else, that there was not one other thing I would want or need. So I took my husband to a piano store this past weekend, to look at a slightly less crappy piano than the one I had, lol, and the next thing I know my husband is saying we should get a used baby grand. I have not been able to think of anything but this now...I am obsessed! It will not be a very expensive one, but hopefully something decent enough for me to have for many years and pass down to my piano playing daughter....who is way better than I am. I made sure she had the proper lessons from the get go. She had not played in probably ten years, and she sat down at the piano the other day and played Moonlight Sonata, from beginning to end. She can play much more difficult classical pieces as well. The Entertainer is a challenge for me, and I am ready to continue working on it and move on to the next Scott Joplin rag. I am ready!

I'm sorry, I talk a lot, lol, and I am so happy to have found this forum. There are not many people that I can sit and talk piano with, which is something I love to do. I love to hear about other people's experience and love of piano too, not just ramble about my own, like I am now. So I am happy to be here. Will be happier once I have my new piano, as I know it will become my best friend.

Now I'm going to spend some time reading more around this forum, I can't seem to take in enough right now. I have also printed out the 6 exercises from the Scott Jolpin school of ragtime...or whatever it is called. I am hoping to work on these to help me improve also.

So I am happy to be here and ready to look around the forum!

#2565658 - 08/24/16 12:54 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
KayRock Offline

I have been lurking for about 5 years, voyeuristically enjoying the fruits of all of your labors. Thank you! It was the recent reintroduction of a discussion on the controversial repeat in the Pathetique that finally forced me to post!

I started playing when I was 6, and spend most of my childhood being forced to study seriously. But only classical piano. I half-lidded my way through theory lessons and practiced despondently and in my opinion, I never really learned to play the instrument at all. Instead, I learned to play pieces on the instrument. It's a huge difference and it makes me so sad and mad at my childhood self.

In my teens, when the force of my ennui overcame my parents discipline, I rebelliously quit. I switched to voice, which was much easier and much more fun. I'd occasionally sit down and bang something out on a keyboard, but never very seriously.

In my thirties I gave up music altogether after an ugly divorce from a marriage in which music played a pivotal role.

Then, in my late 40s, I got the itch. I looked at buying a used electronic keyboard on Craigslist, and discovered I could get a piano for roughly the same amount. I lucked into a 1925 Kurtzmann which needed a bit of work but had a beautiful soundboard and a lovely sound.

I had high hopes of disciplined practice, relearning dexterity through determined repetition of scales. I bought theory books and began to study in earnest. I pulled out my old primers which my mother had saved (she saves everything, and will someday be featured on an A&E reality show, I'm sure).

I thought what I wanted (and I still delude myself into thinking I want) was to learn to actually play. To maybe move out of the discipline of classical music and learn something scary and improvisational, like jazz.

But I was drawn instead to the beautiful pieces. The classical pieces. I revisited music I had loved when I was young (Beethoven was my first rock star crush). I expanded into new direction (Debussy was a totally new lover and I devoured him like chocolate). I didn't play well. Five years later, I still don't. My sight-reading is gone with my aging sight, and I plunk my way through, measure by measure, memorizing after sounding out the notes like words in a Dick and Jane reading primer. I watch endless videos of dozens of people performing my chosen piece, from the masters to really talented 10-year-olds who make me want to chop off my useless fingers. Finding just the right interpretation and phrasing. I come here to read about the struggles others might have had with the piece. Then 10,000 repeats of every note. Repeating passages in slow motion until my eyes blur and my fingers don't remember how to work independently. But eventually I can achieve a measure of fluidity that might fool non-players and pleases me a lot in the privacy of my own living room. Mostly, though, I'm pretty sure I have ten thumbs and my neighbors hate me.

I still dream of finding a patient teacher who will take me all the way back to elementary school while still indulging my need to play real music (yes, it's all real, but my childhood need to make better music than I'm really capable of never left me). I have all the books which would enable me to do disciplined practice and any day now I will grow up enough to do what I'm supposed to be doing, right? Retirement has given me the time to practice, finally, but time has robbed me of that quick brain and the easy dexterity that's been eaten by a touch of arthritis (miraculously, playing helps there a lot). But age has given me the gift I sorely lacked at 6: a complete and total passion. When I travel, my fingers tremble and my soul feels dry, yearning to be sitting at my piano. It's my stress reducer, my zen, and my one completely personal space.

I love it.

#2569084 - 09/06/16 02:28 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
akaplan Offline

Hello --

I have been playing the piano effectively for over fifteen years, and I recently went semi-professional.

I became a member on September 6th, 2016, and I look forward to corresponding with other people on this site.

#2571144 - 09/14/16 01:56 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Melvin Rufus Offline

Loc: Bangalore, India.
Hello all!

My name is Melvin Rufus, from India. I'm returning to piano after 4 years. I'm a late bloomer, in that I started effective piano study when I was 17 - did a lot of self study and method books and finished grade 8 when I was 20. It was after that, that I started trying really ambitious pieces and getting discouraged!!! I then joined work and stopped playing. Then picked up classical guitar and after having played that for over 1.5 years, am now returning back to the piano.

I've realised over these 4 years that grade 8 is only just the beginning of the journey!! I now want to seriously get back to piano! I only have my old Yamaha P95 digital with me. I'm getting a teacher, so will have access to a Yamaha upright once or twice a week. I really love the sound of an acoustic grand, but I guess I have to wait it out before having access to one. For now, I'm planning to save up and get a CA 67 from Kawai sometime in the future.

Any pointers/tips from people are highly anticipated!! thanks and cheers!

Page 28 of 28 < 1 2 26 27 28

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Piano Summit 2017 - Join Us!
along with Chick Corea, Jonathan Cain,Set Rudetsky, Ray Chew, Onree Gill ...
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad
Let Your Piano Sing
Let Your Piano Sing
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How does your Kawai CS8 sound to you?
by ADWyatt
10/01/16 01:52 PM
61 key keyboard just for fun
by dat77
10/01/16 01:51 PM
61 key keyboard just for fun
by dat77
10/01/16 10:54 AM
The New Fall 2016 Edition of Acoustic &Piano Buyer is Online
by Steve Cohen
10/01/16 10:42 AM
Russian Themed Recital 2016 - Call for Submissions!
by outo
10/01/16 07:46 AM
Forum Stats
85,133 Registered Members
44 Forums
175,462 Topics
2,559,503 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission