Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
139 registered (Allochi, Adam Schaaf 58265, Albunea, 36251, accordeur, 46 invisible), 1676 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 102 of 102 < 1 2 100 101 102
Topic Options
#2341217 - 10/25/14 12:52 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: ajames]
Alux Offline

Loc: Perth, Australia (Originally f...

Originally Posted By: ajames
I ran into a issue with "Nava Havita"- it seemed to irritate my left wrist.

Have a look at this James: http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/the-...t-music/3537476

I have the same issue at times due old age so to help build strength & dexterity I use Hanon. Talk to you teacher about it and see what he/she says.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2345909 - 11/05/14 04:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
ajames Offline

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Loc: Texas
Well it seems piano was not at fault for my wrist pain after all. It's all fine now and I play more than ever. Not sure what happened there.

Since I enjoyed Marth Mier's Jazz, Rags and Blues book I tried her "Romantic Sketches" book 1 and I like it even more! Slightly easier than most of the other stuff I work on, but they really sound nice.

Also working on a recital piece, not sure if it will come together or not.

XXXVII-5-XXXIII

#2347842 - 11/09/14 05:27 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: scorpio]
Xiao Qin Offline

Loc: Auburn, AL
Scorpio, I agree with you that there are diverse pieces outside the Alfred books. I must rely on a teacher to pick those pieces for me. Unfortunately, I do not have a teacher at this point; I decide to follow the Alfred books. I am learning book 3 now. Xiao

#2348099 - 11/10/14 10:31 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
ajames Offline

Xiao Qin, congrats on making it to book 3! I believe you can easily find a lot of music that is within your reach, even without a teacher. Just sticking with Alfred's pieces is fine too, if you are enjoying yourself and making progress.

XXXVII-5-XXXIII

#2348115 - 11/10/14 11:01 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
qwert Offline

Loc: Switzerland
Hi all.
I am glad I finished book 2!!!
It took me 3(!!!) years! And, I enjoyed every moment of it. Long time, ea, I know. During this time I also completed twice all 12 scales from book Scales and Cadences ( each scale includes parallel, contrary motion, 3ds, 10ths, all chords and inversions, 1-4-5 in all inversions, arpeggios in 3 inversions, dominant 7th arpeggios in 4 inversions ).

My plan is to have 2-3 month break for repetition, check on what is in supplementary materials. I want to check Blues book by Tim Richards as well. And then, of course, continue Alfred book 3.

I wish you all to enjoy this fantastic hobby!

#2348252 - 11/10/14 04:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
earlofmar Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
congratulations qwert that is a great achievement, I wish I had the discipline for all that scale and chord work

#2349561 - 11/13/14 11:41 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
ajames Offline

Congrats qwert, I don't think 3 years is too long, especially considering the extra work you did.

XXXVII-5-XXXIII

#2352724 - 11/20/14 10:30 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
ajames Offline

I have spent some time on "Aloha Oe", or, as I like to call it, the "hawaiian ukelele song". It's impressive how the rolled chords on the piano can simulate the slow strum of a stringed instrument. I've been working on making the rolled chords sound evenly throughout the piece, and playing them without tension. My teacher has helped immensely with this.

Next is the "Black forest polka", or the "transposition song" as my teacher calls it. It's composed almost completely of I, V, and V7 chords and arpeggios so that makes transposing pretty straightforward. I've already been messing around with C->G.

For fun, I'm still working on the Martha Meir books (JR&B1, and Romantic sketches #1), I also added Kabelevsky "A night on the river", from his Op. 27, to the rotation.

Going to start on Christmas music soon! It'll be interesting to go back and work on the same pieces I played last year at this time to see if I've actually improved... smile

XXXVII-5-XXXIII

#2361910 - 12/15/14 01:03 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
ajames Offline

Time to give this thread a bump up- maybe some Alfred #2 lurkers will pop out of the woodwork.

Enjoying "Pomp and Circumstance" --it seems like a nice arrangement to me. Still working on some Meir and Kabelevsky pieces. And Christmas music of course...

XXXVII-5-XXXIII

#2361945 - 12/15/14 03:08 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
maju Offline

I've just started working on Loch Lomond, but I'm also working from other books: John Thompson's Grade 2 book, Faber's Piano Adventures 3A, a book called "So You Used to Play Piano", and miscellaneous other pieces that catch my interest and are within my reach.

#2362079 - 12/15/14 07:45 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: maju]
BrianDX Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: First Town, First State
I'm studying Faber 3A as well. Where are you at?

I've found the Faber series very much in tune with my way of learning, at least so far...
Current: Fiesta Espana (Faber); Henlopen Shores (BrianDX)

#2362312 - 12/16/14 11:21 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
ajames Offline

Welcome to ABF maju. I don't know LOch LOmond so I guess I haven't got there yet... I also grab lots of other pieces from various sources- not other method books though. Not that I think Alfred's is so great, just I started with it and I want to see it to the end (book #2, at least).

XXXVII-5-XXXIII

#2362381 - 12/16/14 02:38 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: BrianDX]
maju Offline

This week I'm working on Fanfare Minuet from the Faber, and it seems much easier than some of the earlier pieces. (I have to confess I skipped The Fly's Adventure.)

#2367600 - 12/31/14 10:48 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Jeremy SA Offline

Loc: Durban, South Africa
I have been on business training in Korea for a while and then my new job has been eating up my hours for practice.
But now that I had some free time during the festive break I am back loving the piano.
I haven't been to a piano lesson for over a month. My teacher probably thinks I have abandoned her.
I plan to climb right back on the piano train as soon as our year end is over mid Jan. I used to practice an hour a day.
Was playing through Morning Has Broken, I love the broken chords, this piece makes the piano sound so sweet.
Am finally getting Hungarian Rhapsody #2 up to tempo. I find that hugging the keys with my finger tips like my teacher taught me really helps me with keep my place in the crescendo.

Anyone else battling to find time? I think I'm just going to have to make time.

Edited by Jeremy SA (12/31/14 10:50 AM)

Bach's motto : Let not your right hand know what the left is doing.

Started learning in March 2014
Alfred's Basic Adult All-in-one Book 1

#2367669 - 12/31/14 01:10 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
ajames Offline

Hey Jeremy, Glad to hear you will be back playing the piano in the new year. Sounds like you've been making good progress even with the interruptions. Morning has Broken was one of my favorites, I tried transposing it a few times for fun. I didn't really enjoy the Hungarian Rhapsody #2, but I stuck with it and eventually got an ok recording.

I'm in kind of a fun place in the book, Pomp and Circumstance, Black Eyes, and the simplified CHopin Etude are all nice pieces. The Etude (I just started it) is pretty challenging though.

Just for kicks, I listed all the pieces I working on this year (2014) and it came to 68 (38 from Alfred #2). I had a talk with my teacher and we decided not to continue to Alfred's #3. There's so much intermediate level stuff out there that I really want to work on, and he has no problem breaking away from the method books at this point. I'm going to finish book 2 though.

XXXVII-5-XXXIII

#2367792 - 12/31/14 06:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: ajames]
earlofmar Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Pomp and Circumstance, Black Eyes, and the simplified CHopin Etude are all nice pieces. The Etude (I just started it) is pretty challenging though.

I rate this as the most difficult piece in the book and had a heck of a time with it.

#2369047 - 01/03/15 03:51 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Jeremy SA Offline

Hi James
glad to hear you will be competing Alfred's 2. My teacher has come to like the Alfred's books. I would like to think I can carry on all the way to the third book.
68 is a lot of pieces. I am envious.
I would like to start on some New Age solo piano when in book 3 as I love the sound.
No practicing for me these last few days. Trying to close off accounts for the year.

#2370338 - 01/06/15 04:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: earlofmar]
ajames Offline

Originally Posted By: earlofmar
Pomp and Circumstance, Black Eyes, and the simplified CHopin Etude are all nice pieces. The Etude (I just started it) is pretty challenging though.

I rate this as the most difficult piece in the book and had a heck of a time with it.

Earl,
It's definitely a step (or two, or three...) higher than the pieces before, and the ones after that I've started on. It's really *dense*. I have to break it down to half-measures...
It is a longer-term piece for sure.

Originally Posted By: Jeremy SA

Hi James
glad to hear you will be competing Alfred's 2. My teacher has come to like the Alfred's books. I would like to think I can carry on all the way to the third book.
68 is a lot of pieces. I am envious.
I would like to start on some New Age solo piano when in book 3 as I love the sound.
No practicing for me these last few days. Trying to close off accounts for the year.

Jeremy,
Are you using the Alfred's Basic or the All-in-one? I really enjoy having more supplementary pieces, although it probably does slow down my progress through the method book, I think it speeds up what counts- my progress at learning the piano! Anyway, I'm lucky enough to be able to put in lots of time, probably 1- 1.5 hrs/day every day. And those 68 pieces were pretty short.

If you like new agey stuff I can recommend the "Fresh Impressions" series. The "prep" level book is really fun and not hard at all. "Dark Journey" is my favorite.

XXXVII-5-XXXIII

#2372378 - 01/11/15 02:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Jeremy SA Offline

AJames,
I am using the All-in-one.

Thanks for the tip on New Age, I will look up the Impressions in the future.

Had my first lesson in a month today. It was great. My teacher picked up a few bits of bad technique that had crept in. And when I got home and practiced what she taught me, I could already hear the difference. A lot better.

#2373393 - 01/14/15 07:55 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
gravity blues Offline

Loc: Belgium
So how are you all doing here? Anyone approaching the finish?
I took a long break from the book and played some other pieces with my teacher. I'm planning to restart tonight though. I've been labouring hard and long on some Bach pieces. Now I'm really looking forward to take up the shorter pieces of Alfred, which don't take a month to get somewhat right (I'm only in the beginning of the book though, no idea how hard it will be near the end!)

#2373401 - 01/14/15 08:25 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: qwert]
BrianDX Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: First Town, First State
Originally Posted By: qwert
Hi all.
I am glad I finished book 2!!!
It took me 3(!!!) years! And, I enjoyed every moment of it. Long time, ea, I know. During this time I also completed twice all 12 scales from book Scales and Cadences ( each scale includes parallel, contrary motion, 3ds, 10ths, all chords and inversions, 1-4-5 in all inversions, arpeggios in 3 inversions, dominant 7th arpeggios in 4 inversions ).

Hey qwert, I just noticed this post. I'm very impressed!

It takes a lot of perseverance and dedication to spend that much time completing that book. I especially liked your comments of how you enjoyed each moment of the process.

I could learn a couple of things from you I think.

I have a tendency to try to rush though my Faber books to get to the "next level", and not completely enjoy the process of getting there, as well as learning to play a lot of lovely and exciting pieces.

Hope to hear from you when your break is done.
Current: Fiesta Espana (Faber); Henlopen Shores (BrianDX)

#2373452 - 01/14/15 11:53 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Jeremy SA]
ajames Offline

Originally Posted By: Jeremy SA
AJames,
I am using the All-in-one.

Thanks for the tip on New Age, I will look up the Impressions in the future.

Had my first lesson in a month today. It was great. My teacher picked up a few bits of bad technique that had crept in. And when I got home and practiced what she taught me, I could already hear the difference. A lot better.

Sounds like a great lesson. Glad you got back into it with no major drama. My lesson yesterday was bit rough, I felt like I couldn't play anything. We spent a lot of time on the Chopin Etude, which does need a lot of work...

Quote:

So how are you all doing here? Anyone approaching the finish?
I took a long break from the book and played some other pieces with my teacher. I'm planning to restart tonight though. I've been labouring hard and long on some Bach pieces. Now I'm really looking forward to take up the shorter pieces of Alfred, which don't take a month to get somewhat right (I'm only in the beginning of the book though, no idea how hard it will be near the end!)

I'm all for supplementing Alfred's with outside pieces, I think it really helps. I keep meaning to go back to the A. Magdelena Bach notebook for some pieces, but right now I'm on a Kabalevsky trip, and I just got some Gillock books, so it will probably be a while.
I'm up to p. 100 (of 140). I hit the Chopin etude speed bump (feels like a brick wall right now :0 ). I probably have another 6-9 months, but I'm not in a rush to finish.

XXXVII-5-XXXIII

#2386893 - 02/16/15 06:33 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Jeremy SA Offline

I spent quite a few hours, probably 4 in total, playing piano yesterday. It was great.
Went back to work on a Bach piece, I really battle with the second section.

I have been working on "Mexican Hat" for a while now, I love this song.

I have also started on the "Scherzo" which is actually quite easy to play as it has similar patterns repeating, it is also fun.
I haven't played it for my teacher yet.

#2408301 - 04/09/15 08:16 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
gravity blues Offline

I'm currenly working on Pomp and Circumstance... very difficult for me. It's comforting to read through this thread and find I'm not the only one laugh
I hate to say it but I'm not really enjoying this book, and might take a look at Faber. The selection of songs in Alfred's is just not doing it for me I guess. On the other hand, I like to finish what I've started.
Ahh we'll see. Hope to get through Pomp and Circumstance by the end of this week!

#2408421 - 04/09/15 12:28 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
ajames Offline

GB, I think it started to pick up a bit after Pomp, there was a stretch with some really nice pieces, but now its taken a nose dive again with "WHole World" and "Ballin' the Jack", ugh.

XXXVII-5-XXXIII

#2408726 - 04/10/15 02:48 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
gravity blues Offline

Ahh, I don't even have those, I didn't find the all in one course for level 2 in my music shop so I went for the basic version. Probably should have just ordered the extended book online probably! I hope you're working on some fun pieces besides Alfred, ajames! I always try to work on at least one piece I really enjoy.

#2409649 - 04/12/15 11:59 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Alux Offline

Loc: Perth, Australia (Originally f...

I'm polishing off La Bamba and will admit I'm not enjoying that one. So long as my teacher is happy with it I can then move on to La Raspa. I'm not really that keen on the Latin numbers in the book but still learn them regardless as I know they will help me learn and as you said AJ, there are better things to come later on.

#2409803 - 04/13/15 11:25 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
ajames Offline

Alux, La Bamba - I remember thinking it sounded better when played at a fast tempo, but it was taking so long to get it up to speed that I threw in the towel eventually smile

GB, I also have a few non-Alfreds pieces at all times, I think it's a good thing to supplement what is happening in Alfreds.

"Ballin' the Jack" is starting to grow on me a little, for some reason I thought it had something to do with oil rigs! Not sure why I thought that- maybe the name.

XXXVII-5-XXXIII

#2410120 - 04/14/15 05:29 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
gravity blues Offline

Pomp and Circumstance is finally getting to an acceptable level, but I'm still trying to get it more polished. I'm quite happy though, the song left me so frustrated when I started it, and now it's kind of okay. Still hoping Swinging Sevenths will be more smooth to learn!
ajames, I believe you're right with supplementing alfred with other pieces. I think I'll take another look at the Anna Magdalena Notebook!

Edited by gravity blues (04/14/15 05:29 AM)

Page 102 of 102 < 1 2 100 101 102

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
casio px-150 turns itself off after 2 mins inactivity
by larry roberts
05/04/15 07:03 PM
Samick agraffe repair
by Curt B
05/04/15 06:51 PM
Fatar keybeds
by Bachus
05/04/15 06:34 PM
which one to buy?
by guster
05/04/15 04:21 PM
Question for Dealers
by nwpiano
05/04/15 02:42 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,154 Registered Members
44 Forums
163,756 Topics
2,402,868 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission