Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
140 registered (Albert Brighten, Alexander Borro, accordeur, alans, 37 invisible), 1436 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Page 103 of 103 < 1 2 101 102 103
Topic Options
#2418788 - 05/09/15 08:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Alux Offline

Loc: Perth, Australia (Originally f...

Hi Guys, hope all is well.

AJ- Yeah I know what you mean about LaBamba, I've been spending too much time on it so decided to leave it and move on. Working on La Raspa & Jolly Good fellow on my own until I see my teacher at the end of the month.

BG- I find working on outside material helps with Alfreds. In that I mean it's nice to work on something of your own choosing.

Jeremy- Where you at now with things?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2418843 - 05/10/15 04:42 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Fatih Offline

Guys, i got that book and it is total disappointment for me. Alfred Vol 1 was so good because it offered great sounding songs with easy notes. Now, i don't know what second book offers. Music feels empty most of the times because too much chords and not much melody.

#2418847 - 05/10/15 05:03 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
earlofmar Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Many people complain about the content of Books 2 & 3 and I myself did not learn every piece from the books but just a selection of the ones I liked. However there are some nice pieces to learn and many more will just capture your interest as you find they are not so easy as you first imagine.

My disappointment with book 2 & 3 was there was not enough classical music. Having had a method book for the first six months was just what I needed but I then switched to non method books. I had read a few recommendations for the Keith Snell series Essential Piano Repertoire of the 17th, 18th, & 19th Centuries and have not looked back.

Another use for books you don't use is for sight reading fodder in the future so perhaps it is not a waste.

XXXVIII-9-XXX

#2419178 - 05/11/15 07:00 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Alux Offline

Loc: Perth, Australia (Originally f...

Hi Faith, where are you in Book 2?

While I'm not very impressed with some of the content of Book 2,there are pieces I'm really looking forward to learning. At the moment I'm early in Book 2 (La Bamba, La Raspa & Jolly Good Fellow) and not very keen on the Latin material.Despite that I'm persevering with it as it is after all, a musical text book and to keep things interesting I work on outside material I like. As I see it, music books are like Yard Sales: One persons junk is another's treasure.

#2419183 - 05/11/15 07:05 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
gravity blues Offline

Loc: Belgium
I've encountered a couple of boring songs in the book but it got better the last weeks. I'm currently working on Musette, which is on an acceptable level when I play the lines seperate from each other. When I play the song as a whole, my hands are way too slow when moving to another section. I'm now focusing on joining these sections properly.

I don't have a teacher until september, so I'm happy to have a method book at hand to help me progress in a natural order.

#2419656 - 05/12/15 11:45 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
ajames Offline

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Loc: Texas
For the pieces I don't like much, I've been getting some enjoyment in the end just making them sound as good as I can. You can also take some ownership, make it *your* version of the piece. I get some satisfaction from this, even if an unbiased listener may not hear anything special... Also, sometimes a piece grows on you and you may change your opinion of it by the time you finish with it. Still, not every piece in a method book will excite you, that is why I really recommend working on some outside pieces concurrently.

Like EarlofMar, I lean toward the classical pieces (and baroque, and romantic, haha). But I also like swing rhythms and ragtime, so I will keep a mix going, even when I go "off-method" smile at the end of Alfreds 2.

XXXVIII-6-XXXIII

#2438470 - 07/04/15 12:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: ajames]
blackjack1777 Offline

Loc: California
Hi, I'm about to finish up Alfred's All in One Level #1 in the next month or so.

I was wondering for the people that continued on to Level #2 if you're enjoying it as much as the first one?

Also, would you consider it to be a similar challenge as to when you were in Level #1? Are you making progress in piano in the way that you expected?

Thanks for any feedback!

2014 Knabe 48" Upright (WMV-121)
Yamaha P-35

#2438554 - 07/04/15 07:12 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: blackjack1777]
ajames Offline

Originally Posted By blackjack1777
Hi, I'm about to finish up Alfred's All in One Level #1 in the next month or so.

I was wondering for the people that continued on to Level #2 if you're enjoying it as much as the first one?

Much more, I would say. When I worked through book 1, I could barely play. Now that I can play a little, it is much more enjoyable.

Quote:

Also, would you consider it to be a similar challenge as to when you were in Level #1? Are you making progress in piano in the way that you expected?

Thanks for any feedback!

I saw the Alfreds #1 thread so I think I know what you're getting at. I have the All-in-one level2, the basic version is different (almost twice as many pieces in the all-in-one.) I'm nearing the end, only ~7 pieces left. Honestly, the first half of the book I thought was pretty rough, as far as the enjoyment of the music. The second half has been much better, with some really nice fun pieces and no real clunkers that I hated. There has been much more variation in difficulty than in book 1 I think, with difficult pieces that took me months, followed by something that I can knock out in a week. Alfred's tendency to left-hand chords/right hand melody has been pointed out many times. So supplementing with some classical stuff can be useful.

I worked with lots of pieces on the side, chosen by me with some oversight from my teacher. So I don't consider Alfred's to be solely responsible (or even majorly, to be hoest) for my progress. It's really just another source of pieces for me that are roughly appropriate to my level. Jeesh now that I say it like that I wonder why I stuck with it so long? Some completionist obsession I guess. If I had only done the pieces in the book I would have been done with it long ago, but would I be a better pianist? No.

Anyway, its a method book, so it's probably not the best place to look for complete musical satisfaction. Is the music in other method books better/more interesting/etc? I don't know. Probably. Depends on the individual. If you use it (or any method really) I recommend supplementing with pieces you really like, to help keep your interest up.

Here is an old thread that I remember reading around the time between books 1 and 2. I found it helpful.

This , and this are old threads about Alfreds you might find interesting.

XXXVIII-6-XXXIII

#2438596 - 07/04/15 09:47 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: ajames]
blackjack1777 Offline

Loc: California
ajames,

Thanks very much for your explanation of your thoughts on Alfred's Level 1 vs Level 2 and also the links they were an interesting read. Right now I'm leaning towards taking the course even though there seems to be a good percentage of people that find Level 2 to be a bit on the boring side. I felt like a really have gotten a great deal out of Level 1 so far.

In regards to the variation in difficulty you mentioned where some pieces took months to work on and others are the normal 1-2 weeks. If you weren't working on side pieces how long do you think it would take you to complete some of those harder songs, and are the harder songs interesting to work on from a technical perspective?

2014 Knabe 48" Upright (WMV-121)
Yamaha P-35

#2438749 - 07/05/15 01:18 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: blackjack1777]
Stubbie Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest USA
ajames,

Thanks very much for your explanation of your thoughts on Alfred's Level 1 vs Level 2 and also the links they were an interesting read. Right now I'm leaning towards taking the course even though there seems to be a good percentage of people that find Level 2 to be a bit on the boring side. I felt like a really have gotten a great deal out of Level 1 so far.

In regards to the variation in difficulty you mentioned where some pieces took months to work on and others are the normal 1-2 weeks. If you weren't working on side pieces how long do you think it would take you to complete some of those harder songs, and are the harder songs interesting to work on from a technical perspective?

I worked my way through Book 2 when I was self-teaching (I'm taking lessons from a teacher now). I did not find Book 2 pieces to be boring (with an exception or two), on the contrary, many were nice pieces for the stage I was at and I enjoyed working on them.

I know it's hard not to try to get an idea of how long it will take you to work through the book, but try to resist the temptation. You'll make faster progress, in the end, by taking the proper amount of time on the pieces and doing right by them. Best wishes to you!

#2439166 - 07/06/15 06:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: blackjack1777]
ajames Offline

ajames,

I never said 1-2 weeks was normal for me. More like 1 month for me. I can't answer your question, sorry. I have no idea how long it would take. I have never worked on one piece at a time, I've always had ~3-5 going, say one long term challenge piece, and the others at various states.

Like Stubbie said, I wouldn't worry about how long each piece takes. Of course I'm probably the worst offender in terms of being impatient about moving on. My teacher helps- gets me to keep working on a piece even after I'm sick of it or think I'm done with it. And the more difficult, challenging pieces tend to be the most rewarding to play in the end.

XXXVIII-6-XXXIII

#2446303 - 07/31/15 04:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
ajames Offline

Getting down to the last few pieces- working on "Love's Greeting" right now. Snuck a peek at "Canon in D". I realized I have two other arrangements of that piece, one by Dan Coates, and another by Philip Keveran. Learn them all, or just pick my favorite? Hmmm.

XXXVIII-6-XXXIII

#2450801 - 08/15/15 10:09 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
BoyneBob Offline

New beginner, just 3 months into book1 but looking forward to book 2. Had my first lesson 2 months before my 65 th birthday and totally enjoy beginning piano lessons. Practice 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day and see slow improvement, with the help of a great teacher. Starting with Technics digital piano that was given to me but it's starting to make strange electrical sounds so I may be shopping for new piano soon. Found this site and I enjoy reading the posts from everyone that are going through the same beginner experience. Good luck everybody and I'll check in regularly.

#2451125 - 08/16/15 01:52 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
ajames Offline

Welcome to ABF, BoyneBob. Sounds like you are doing great. Practicing that much, you'll be in book 2 before you know it.

XXXVIII-6-XXXIII

Page 103 of 103 < 1 2 101 102 103

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Back to School Music SALE!
Save 10% in our online store
Just enter SAVE10 in the coupon box during checkout. *
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
* Sale does not apply to advertising, how old requests, or any non-tangible items. Can not be combined with any other promotions. Ends August 31, 2015
(ad) Teaching Children Music
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Student Q: Do "Non-Taubman" Teachers teach Forearm Rotation?
by ClsscLib
08/28/15 03:22 PM
Hiiii Everyone , Kyfran54 présentation :D
by Kyfran54
08/28/15 01:44 PM
Mainstage 3.2
by Leonid
08/28/15 12:55 PM
What works better with piano?
by MaggieGirl
08/28/15 11:59 AM
PE-2 Pedal Extender question for owners
by ViennaAutumn
08/28/15 11:55 AM
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,554 Registered Members
44 Forums
166,482 Topics
2,439,898 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission