Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyers Guide
Who's Online
68 registered (Anwar, Alux, alwatson, AndyP, agent8698, 20 invisible), 1752 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 118 of 118 < 1 2 116 117 118
Topic Options
#2601203 - 01/05/17 02:15 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
xyzzyFL Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL
bSharp[C]lclist - the song books are Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course Greatest Hits, Bk 1 and Bk 2. Bk 1 is pretty easy, but has a better selection of songs. If you haven't already, take a look at the Hal Leonard Piano Solos series - intermediate level but many of the songs are manageable - and I figure it's good to work on a song or two that is hard to play.

Off topic - are you a cyclist? I am - riding 100 or so miles a week.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2601239 - 01/05/17 08:41 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: xyzzyFL]
bSharp[C]yclist Online   content

Loc: Orange County, California
Originally Posted By xyzzyFL

Off topic - are you a cyclist? I am - riding 100 or so miles a week.

I do enjoy riding. I did a lot more of it in 2015, participated in many bike rides, several metric centuries and one 100 mile ride. Last year I played more piano and was then also out of town quite often helping family.

I hope to ride more this year smile

#2602644 - 01/09/17 09:00 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Birdgolf Offline

Currently working on "Hokey Pokey;" "Night Song;" "Hava Nagila;" and "Space Shuttle blues." Has anyone used Alfred's Greatest Hits Bk 2 while they are progressing through AAIO Bk 2. What is your opinion? Thx Birdgolf

#2602674 - 01/09/17 10:08 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
JasonR Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Hi all, I thought I'd finally post something after lurking for so long. I'm also working on Hokey Pokey and Night Song, assigned by my teacher last week. I'm also polishing up Village Dance and Circus March to bring them up to speed.

I'm finding The Hokey Pokey surprisingly difficult, like when hitting BTMD in book #1. I think it's that I'm really trying to pay attention to the LH staccato and RH not being staccato. It's really challenging for me.

I haven't tried to mix in any other song books yet, but I am trying to work on the RCM Four Star ear training as well, I think it's somewhat helpful when I have the discipline to make it regular practice (motivation lacking since the holidays, lol).

I bought my DP nearly a year ago, with weekly 1/2hr lessons since June.

#2602901 - 01/10/17 03:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Utkonos Offline

@JasonR nice to see more people on this thread! I can still play the Hokey Cokey more or less but have completely forgotten how to play Night Song. I found both of them very difficult but quite helpful, especially the first one.

@xyzzyFL on the subject of hobbies, are you interested in text adventures? I am just guessing from your user name.

#2602915 - 01/10/17 04:17 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
xyzzyFL Offline

@Utkonos - good eye! Back in the early 80's I bought an Apple II and it had the Adventure game. Loved that game and because of it, taught myself to program in a couple of languages and have been working as a programmer/consultant until I finally retired and took up piano this year. Always loved that secret word, so took it as my user name, added FL for Florida, and use it on several forums.

Working on Sakura and House of the Rising Sun, and having fun with the Alfred's Greatest Hits book 2.

Edited by xyzzyFL (01/10/17 04:17 PM)

#2602930 - 01/10/17 04:51 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Daneel Olivaw Offline

Happy new year all! Time for some update. Over the last weeks we've been putting a bit more emphasis back on Alfred's so I've been able to get to Divertimento in D which is a funny little tune. Little by little I'm getting closer to the chromatic scale page which was the first aim I set myself when I started with this book.

Great to see some more new faces in here!

Edited by Daneel Olivaw (01/10/17 04:52 PM)

#2603150 - 01/11/17 06:09 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: xyzzyFL]
Alux Online   content

Loc: Perth, Australia (Originally f...
Originally Posted By xyzzyFL
bSharp[C]lclist - the song books are Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course Greatest Hits, Bk 1 and Bk 2. Bk 1 is pretty easy, but has a better selection of songs.

There is some good material in both books and like everything it's how you interpret it.
Here's Nadia's Theme I did from Greatest Hits Book 1 and My Heart Will Go On from Book 2

#2603154 - 01/11/17 06:15 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Alux]
xyzzyFL Offline

@Alux great job on Nadia's Theme. I'll have to give it a try.

#2603629 - 01/12/17 12:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I passed myself on "House of the Rising Sun" and "Sakura", and have started "Waves of the Danube". And I encountered a couple of rolled chords, which I never really got the hang of the few times that they were introduced in Book 1. I sort of can play them as a fast broken chord, but evidently not fast enough to sound like they should. Any suggestions on this, or will it come eventually with practice?

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE
Faber Adult PA Bk. 1 Graduate

#2603655 - 01/12/17 01:08 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Alux]
blackjack1777 Offline

Loc: California
Wow great to see so many new people posting in here!!

I've been "teacherless" for a few weeks while she has been away on Christmas holiday and a little delinquent in posting here.

xyzzyFL, hello my name is, JasonR welcome to this thread! It's great ot have some new blood in here!

Daneel Olivaw nice to see you making progress on Divertimento, I liked that piece, it was fun and written in a classical style

Alux I really enjoyed listening to both of your pieces. I especially liked Nadia's Theme. Mancini is one of my favorite composers. If you want to learn more Mancini my teacher got me a beginning Mancini book that I can recommend.

mom3gram congrats on passing so many pieces you're making really good progress! "Waves of the Danube" is a tricky piece even though it's slow. The arpeggiated chords are difficult especially since you have to keep the song moving and not mess up the rhythm. I started out by playing them verrrry slowly as broken chords and then over a period of a week or two I was able to get them up to how they were supposed to sound. Then I added in the metronome to make sure I kept a steady rhythm and didn't slow down during the arpeggiated chords parts. It just takes some time to get a feel for them. Good luck on it!

My update is rather limited since my teacher hasn't been around. I finished up Black Forest Polka but my teacher is still gone and didn't officially sign me off on it. I'm working on a Bartok Folk Dance that is completed and needs sign off and I am nearing the end of my work on the Chopin Waltz although I'm pretty sure my teacher will probably have enough feedback that it takes me another few weeks to finish.

Overall I've made some progress but I will be glad when my teacher comes back and I can offload some of the pieces I *think* I'm done with and get some news ones wink

https://soundcloud.com/blackjack1777/

#2603679 - 01/12/17 02:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Blackjack! I will try to work on slowly arpeggiating that chord. I'm sure that's not the only issue that I will have with this piece, just the first one that came to mind. I just started it today, so I have time.

Hope you get to drop some of your pieces and get new ones soon. There's nothing like a new piece to add excitement to a routine practice.

#2603994 - 01/13/17 09:27 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Birdgolf Offline

Just curious, Has anyone purchased Alfred's Greatest Hits level One? What did you think of it? Birdgolf

#2604005 - 01/13/17 10:01 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
bSharp[C]yclist Online   content

Loc: Orange County, California
Hello, thought I would check in. I'll be starting lessons again tomorrow at the same school, but with a different teacher. Not sure yet what approach we'll be taking. I'm still picking pieces out of the Alfred's 2 book, currently working on Waltz in G Minor (p125). I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes smile

#2604068 - 01/13/17 12:18 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I have Alfred's Greatest Hits, Level 1. After the first two or three pieces, I found the rest to be difficult at the time suggested to start the pieces, but now that I'm partway through the AIO Book 2, the pieces in Gr. Hits 1 are enjoyable to learn. They are usually a shortened version of the song, but still fun to learn and play. I would recommend it. I haven't learned all the pieces yet, so I haven't purchased Level 2 yet.

#2604090 - 01/13/17 01:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Birdgolf Offline

Thanks mom3gram. I am 1/2 through AIO BK 2 .
I think I'll review Bk 1 for awhile and incorporate Gr. Hits level 1
I seem to go backwards not forwards. It all started
When I recorded myself. Yuk !

#2604092 - 01/13/17 01:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Birdgolf]
xyzzyFL Offline

Originally Posted By Birdgolf
Just curious, Has anyone purchased Alfred's Greatest Hits level One? What did you think of it? Birdgolf

Birdgolf Yes, I'm using it and Greatest Hits Book 2. It is helpful and fun to have additional 'real' songs to play.

Edited by xyzzyFL (01/13/17 01:16 PM)

Page 118 of 118 < 1 2 116 117 118

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Potential condition and cost of renovating a 1977 Yamaha U1?
by Arthell
01/17/17 05:36 AM
Possible legitimate, hitherto unknown photograph of Chopin
by Opus_Maximus
01/17/17 03:37 AM
(Modern) Kohler & Cambell Pianos vs. Chinese-Built Yamaha
by RealFamilyMan
01/17/17 01:47 AM
Only hope - Romantic piano piece - Solo piano version
by stylerhun
01/17/17 01:40 AM
An Interesting Buzz
by rysowers
01/16/17 09:10 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
86,259 Registered Members
44 Forums
177,804 Topics
2,589,130 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission