Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
74 registered (Amosdoll, AndrewJCW, augustm, 36251, Albunea, 19 invisible), 1005 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Page 218 of 218 < 1 2 216 217 218
Topic Options
#2436469 - 06/28/15 08:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: blackjack1777]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Loc: Central Texas
Hi Blackjack,

Originally Posted By blackjack1777
She had a lot of detailed type of work she wanted me to integrate - dynamics, phrasings, etc. along with a couple of mistakes I had made in interpreting the song. For sure I will be able to pass it by my next lesson in a week and her changes are going to really make it sound very musical.
Sounds like you're doing really well! For those details that your teacher wants you to integrate (dynamics, phrasings, etc.), are those in addition to what's already marked in your book?

Amazing grace still has a lot of work to do but I'm slowly getting comfortable with the notes. My goal is to get everything finished by Wed. and then get the pedal added by Wed. or Thurs. and then polish it and be ready by Saturday. The best compliment was my teacher said that my rhythm for the triplets was perfect which was her (and also my) biggest worry so I'm very happy. New rhythm patterns are always my biggest weak point.
At least you have a solid plan worked out. I don't have deadlines, so I just sort of wing it. Congrats on getting those triplets. I'm still working on those eighth notes that trip me up sometimes. frown

About your question on the pedal, you're right Alfred's doesn't have very many songs with pedal and when it first gets introduced at the beginning of the book I didn't enjoy it nor did I ever think I would. For me it changes the feel of the keys and it would overwhelm my senses to hear the notes get all mixed together. It was very overwhelming.

When I got to Greensleeves, which is where Alfred's introduces the overlapping pedal, I really learned to appreciate the musicality that the pedal can add and also that it's not as scary as I thought. It took some extra effort to learn that song but on all future songs that have overlapping pedal I no longer particularly have to think too hard about it or spend to much time in adding the pedal into the song.

For me, the pedaling is very intuitive and your senses will sort of signal you when you should pedal. It is one of the few things that I don't explicitly need to memorize I can sort of feel when the pedal should occur. So I'm now a big fan of the pedal and it's probably the only thing about piano that I find intuitive so far. Which is good because all of the review songs in the back of my book are all pedal songs! I think you will enjoy it and not even think about it once you have master Greensleeves where it is introduced. smile
I haven't noticed a change in the way the keys feel when pedaling, but I understand what you're saying about the notes or chords mixing together being overwhelming. Right now I'm working on "Joy to the World" which has some pedaling that I'm not liking the sound of. I just hope it's because I'm not doing something right. It'll be a while before I get to "Greensleeves" with the overlapping pedal, but I'm rather looking forward to it now. In the meantime, it's hard to imagine that I might ever find pedaling to be intuitive. smile

Wow you are really doing a lot of work this weekend.
Well, it's not like I haven't played those pieces before. And I probably should have mentioned I took Friday off, so I had a 3 day weekend. blush I'm hoping to accomplish a lot this week as well with it being slow at work and having Friday off for the Fourth of July weekend.

Casio Privia PX-850 / Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course Book 1 / XXXV

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2436471 - 06/28/15 08:30 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Dru Morgan]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Originally Posted By Dru Morgan
Originally Posted By TX-Bluebonnet

Hey Dru, nice that you got the accidentals corrected with the help of your son's teacher. But how did that come about? Do you play the piano at the same time your son is having his lesson?

He was sick this week, so I took his lesson. I get about one a month if he needs to do something else during that timeslot.

Oh, I get it now. Poor kid, hope he's feeling better.

#2436480 - 06/28/15 09:14 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Bsw Offline

Linda
You are so right. I have recorded myself a couple of times and can hear the progress. How fast we go does not matter, it is not a race. It is a growing opportunity! And lots of fun

#2436545 - 06/29/15 03:49 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: TX-Bluebonnet]
lionus Offline

Hi everyone,

Lionus, Glad to hear you're slowing it down. You've taught yourself one instrument already, so I'm sure you'll be fine. I understand the concern about sight reading. But it's kind of hard not to memorize (to some extent) these relatively short pieces during the process of learning to play them. At least that's been my experience. It doesn't bother me, though, because I have a big stack of piano books that I can use for sight reading practice.

very true. you end up memorising them very quickly, and there are times when its obvious what note/chord would follow as it would sound more complete.

And yes i suppose after or during alfreds i'll grab more and more sets of sheet music to practise off. There are countless ones out there for real cheap on gumtree (our version of craigslist, not sure what you guys use in the US).

#2436751 - 06/29/15 04:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Longhorngary Offline

Quick update, well I've cleaned up Jingle Bells pretty well and have moved on to Brother John and Here's a Happy Song. Brother John seemed to click almost immediately but for some reason Here's a Happy Song is giving me a little trouble especially the F/G 2nds back to back. I seem to roll them about halve the time instead of pressing the keys simultaneously. In addition my rhythm on both pieces could use some work. I'll keep plugging along.

Casio PX-780, Alfred's All-In-One Adult Piano Course Book 1

#2436754 - 06/29/15 04:22 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Longhorngary Offline

I think I'll start lessons with a piano teacher when school gets back in session for the fall. I'm just too tied up with work and family to commit to a schedule before then. Additionally, I'm a little saddened that we will be leaving for a vacation for the better part of 3 weeks and I won't have an opportunity to practice while traveling. Hopefully some of the work I've put in prior to the trip will stick.

Edited by Longhorngary (06/29/15 04:43 PM)

#2436759 - 06/29/15 04:32 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Longhorngary]
Noonie Offline

Originally Posted By Longhorngary
Quick update, well I've cleaned up Jingle Bells pretty well and have moved on to Brother John and Here's a Happy Song. Brother John seemed to click almost immediately but for some reason Here's a Happy Song is giving me a little trouble especially the F/G 2nds back to back. I seem to roll them about halve the time instead of pressing the keys simultaneously. In addition my rhythm on both pieces could use some work. I'll keep plugging along.

Like you, I had no issues with Brother John. One thing I'm noticing, and it's not surprising, is that when I know the song and can sing along, I play it better. I even progress faster at the more tricky chord changes. I bought a book that contains about 75 popular songs (big note is the series) and I'm quickly getting those I know (Mama Mia, Don't Stop Believin, Happy Birthday, etc.). I'm doing more singing, which isn't my thing, but it helps. That's to say, that Here's a Happy Song is just silly, and while I struggled with that one as well I can now easily deal with the F/G changes in other more complicated songs (ones I know, and like better).

#2436766 - 06/29/15 04:45 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Noonie]
Longhorngary Offline

Originally Posted By Noonie

Like you, I had no issues with Brother John. One thing I'm noticing, and it's not surprising, is that when I know the song and can sing along, I play it better. I even progress faster at the more tricky chord changes. I bought a book that contains about 75 popular songs (big note is the series) and I'm quickly getting those I know (Mama Mia, Don't Stop Believin, Happy Birthday, etc.). I'm doing more singing, which isn't my thing, but it helps. That's to say, that Here's a Happy Song is just silly, and while I struggled with that one as well I can now easily deal with the F/G changes in other more complicated songs (ones I know, and like better).

Thanks Noonie, that's good to hear and I may check out the Big Note book as well. I definitely agree it's easier with songs I know.

#2436993 - 06/30/15 12:04 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Longhorngary Offline

Hey look Mom, TWO HANDS! Have Jingle Bells, Brother John and even Merrily We Go Along down pretty well. Working on Largo, it's one I don't know the song so it's hard for me to know if I'm playing it correctly. I have to keep going back to youtube videos.

#2437007 - 06/30/15 12:34 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: TX-Bluebonnet]
blackjack1777 Offline

Loc: California
Hi Linda,

Sounds like you're doing really well! For those details that your teacher wants you to integrate (dynamics, phrasings, etc.), are those in addition to what's already marked in your book?

It's about half and half. Some of the items are things that are written in the book that I just missed because I wasn't paying close enough attention. Others, are phrasing or some technique that she thinks would make the sound song better. Whenever she adds her own details to the song it automatically means another week of practice for me but I enjoy it because it does help to make the easy arrangements sound more musical.

Right now I'm working on "Joy to the World" which has some pedaling that I'm not liking the sound of. I just hope it's because I'm not doing something right. It'll be a while before I get to "Greensleeves" with the overlapping pedal, but I'm rather looking forward to it now. In the meantime, it's hard to imagine that I might ever find pedaling to be intuitive. smile

Joy to the world is one of my favorites! I enjoyed the forte and also the pedal in that song. I felt it was very musical. Good luck in getting it polished up.

I'm also planning on taking Friday off for the 4th so I hope to get a lot of practice in and finish up Over the Rainbow which is now sounding nearly complete. I'm also starting to feel mostly comfortable with the notes so I will add pedal shortly smile

2014 Knabe 48" Upright (WMV-121)
Yamaha P-35

#2437079 - 06/30/15 03:47 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Longhorngary]
blackjack1777 Offline

Hey look Mom, TWO HANDS! Have Jingle Bells, Brother John and even Merrily We Go Along down pretty well. Working on Largo, it's one I don't know the song so it's hard for me to know if I'm playing it correctly. I have to keep going back to youtube videos.

Longhorngary, one thing that may be useful to you is a metronome. It is always helpful for me to count and use a metronome for both songs that I know, and also songs that I don't know.

For songs that I don't know - it helps to quickly get the correct rhythm and to understand what a song is supposed to sound like.

For songs that I do know - I realized that I often play them 'incorrectly' compared to what is written in Alfred's.

A good example of this was pointed out to me by my teacher when we were learning Happy Birthday. Happy Birthday is a song we all know and so it is easy to think that you're playing it correctly based on how it sounds. But, the problem becomes that most songs we know are actually something quite musically embellished compared to what is written in the beginner books.

So for example, when I played Happy Birthday initially I thought it sounded great- and it did sound the way we would normally sing it. But, when my teacher forced me to count the rhythm out it sounded quite different and it was related to the way that we're used to singing it which has a bit of a swing to the eighth notes (long short-long-short). Of course the more musical way to play the song is probably to play it the jazzy way but since we're just learning note values, rhythm and such the metronome is a good way to keep yourself honest for even those times when you think you know what a song sounds like.

I found that no matter how well I thought I was playing a song, I always double checked it early on using a metronome before playing it for my teacher. This will also be helpful when you get to the blues section of the book where Alfred's asks you to play songs in both ways with evenly spaced notes and with long-short note variations.

Yamaha P-35

#2437166 - Yesterday at 12:44 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Originally Posted By lionus
And yes i suppose after or during alfreds i'll grab more and more sets of sheet music to practise off. There are countless ones out there for real cheap on gumtree (our version of craigslist, not sure what you guys use in the US).
I was lucky in that my boss gave me a pile of her kids' old piano books that they'd outgrown. Plus her copies of Alfred's All-In-One levels 1 & 2 that she never got around to using. Since then I've picked up some used and new music books, mostly from shopping online.

Here's a Happy Song is giving me a little trouble especially the F/G 2nds back to back. I seem to roll them about halve the time instead of pressing the keys simultaneously.
I couldn't figure out what you were talking about, until I looked on youtube and saw people playing a version that's different from the one in my book. The version I have is a nice, simple pattern and actually sounds happy. Glad to see you've moved on from it.

Additionally, I'm a little saddened that we will be leaving for a vacation for the better part of 3 weeks and I won't have an opportunity to practice while traveling. Hopefully some of the work I've put in prior to the trip will stick.
A 3 week vacation? Sounds lovely! Maybe you could relax with a music theory book, some flash cards, or whatever. Once you come back I'll bet you won't have any problems getting back up to speed quickly.

Longhorngary, one thing that may be useful to you is a metronome. It is always helpful for me to count and use a metronome for both songs that I know, and also songs that I don't know.

For songs that I don't know - it helps to quickly get the correct rhythm and to understand what a song is supposed to sound like.

For songs that I do know - I realized that I often play them 'incorrectly' compared to what is written in Alfred's.

A good example of this was pointed out to me by my teacher when we were learning Happy Birthday. Happy Birthday is a song we all know and so it is easy to think that you're playing it correctly based on how it sounds. But, the problem becomes that most songs we know are actually something quite musically embellished compared to what is written in the beginner books.
I've had the same experience with quite a few of the songs I'm familiar with. Some examples are Happy Birthday, Alouette, and Joy to the World. Now I check each piece I'm learning against a metronome early on in the process.

#2437174 - Yesterday at 01:12 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

A quick progress update.

I finished a couple more songs; "Joy to the World" and "Cockles and Mussels". The next section is about primary chords in C Major, chord progressions, and the blues.

I'm actually part way through "Got Those Blues" and am happy to report that I remember how to swing. smile

#2437237 - Yesterday at 08:56 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Bsw Offline

I am constantly learning something new every day reading ABF. I had not been using a metronome consistently as I find it distracting. Now starting to incorporate into my daily practice as I improve on a song and noticing an improvement. New assignment this week is more in technique, I have heavy hands on piano and trying to lighten them. Passed on On Top of Old Smokey.

Congratulations to everyone on your progress in this journey.

#2437267 - Yesterday at 10:11 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: TX-Bluebonnet]
blackjack1777 Offline

Linda, great job! Do you enjoy the blues songs that are in Alfred's

BSW, Nice work on passing On Top of Old Smokey and adding some metronome practice. It will not be distracting as you do more of it.

Yamaha P-35

#2437300 - Yesterday at 11:46 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Dru Morgan Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
This week I am supposed to work on the pedal, with Raisins and Almonds. I was ignoring the pedal to this point, but I am actually picking it up nicely. A whole new dimension.

#2437661 - Yesterday at 11:20 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Bsw, Yay to getting passed on OTOOS! Let us know how the new hand technique works out.

Blackjack, I'm not exactly a fan of the blues, but out of the three that I'm working on now I'm enjoying "Got those Blues!" and "Blues for Wynton Marsalis". I should be done with both of those by tomorrow. I don't like the third one called "Chasing the Blues Away". I'll give it another day and that's it. At least I've learned that I do like some blues stuff.

Dru, good for you for taking on the pedal!

#2437662 - Yesterday at 11:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
AndrewJCW Online   content

Loc: Middle of nowhere, Australia
Hello everyone,

I'm back after a break of about 10 months! Keen to play some piano again. Nice to see some familiar faces around here, good to see Bluebonnet still holding down the fort. I tried playing some pieces from book 1 again and very rustily got some of them out. Hopefully it only takes a week to get back up to where I was and then it'll be all hands on deck to knock out the last handful of songs to finish the book. smile

#2437669 - Yesterday at 11:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Hey, Andrew, welcome back! smile Sorry to say, but I abandoned the fort for nearly 7 months. I just started over again at the beginning of June. It's taken me a month to review the material from the very beginning up to the blues section. Hopefully in another week or so I'll be working on "O Sole Mio!", which is where I left off last year around mid-November. Looking forward to your progress reports and watching more of your videos!

#2437703 - Today at 03:12 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
AndrewJCW Online   content

Loc: Middle of nowhere, Australia
Awesome. I went to see a pro play last weekend and it was a great experience. He played some Bach and Debussy, I didn't recognise any of the songs but still had a great time. First time hearing a grand piano in person too, amazing how well the sound fills a large hall with no amplification!

Last year I was going great guns and even got proper lessons for a few weeks, but that proved too much for my bank and after that I practically stopped playing. frown

I can play most of the Alfred 1 pieces ok, I think with some focus I can get Over the Rainbow, At Last, and Singing in the Rain recorded and on my youtube channel, and that'll leave me with 3 songs I haven't really touched to finish the book.

The other book I'm working on is Beginning Blues Keyboard, which I'm really enjoying and am about half way through.

Page 218 of 218 < 1 2 216 217 218

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Should I Word This Email? Student Doesn't Bring Books
by ChavoPues
07/02/15 06:11 AM
Are there terms for this playstyle of the piano?
by Kenzy
07/02/15 05:23 AM
Sight reading application
by Perecli
07/02/15 05:20 AM
Beat rate generator and the PTG tuning exam
by rysowers
07/02/15 01:31 AM
Petrof Upright
by tanjalou
07/02/15 01:12 AM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,852 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,233 Topics
2,423,150 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission