Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
119 registered (AmateurBob, accordeur, AndrewJCW, anotherscott, 40 invisible), 1321 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Page 226 of 226 < 1 2 224 225 226
Topic Options
#2454723 - 08/29/15 02:28 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
AndrewJCW Online   content

Loc: Middle of nowhere, Australia
This one's been linked before on the forum, I think it's pretty good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6gRfn5XrW8&index=1&list=PL753730BB176690A0.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2454800 - 08/29/15 11:28 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Finfan Online   content

Loc: Arizona USA
Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for. It probably would have taken me ages to find that searching youtube on my own.

#2454841 - 08/29/15 02:47 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
blackjack1777 Online   content

Loc: California
Quick update on my status for this week.

I passed Laura and my teacher told me it was her favorite song that I had played for her so far and she even wrote a star in my book which she's never done before. So I'm super happy because I put a ton of effort into it and I love that piece.

I'm about half way through Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas which is far more challenging than I expected. I don't know that my teacher was very impressed with my progress on that one after one week. The hands together is quite difficult.

I will also be starting on Gilligan's Island which I wasn't to excited to learn but honestly it made me laugh when my teacher played it so I think I will enjoy it once I've started to work on it.

Also, my teacher played a few jazz pieces that she thought I would like that are similar to Laura and it was really awesome to be able to sit back and listen to someone very skilled play through a series of pieces easily and just by sight reading them. I really enjoyed that and I'm looking forward to hopefully reaching that point in the years to come.

Also, my piano just got tuned and I love how it sounds!

So overall it has been an awesome week for piano!! smile

2014 Knabe 48" Upright (WMV-121)
Yamaha P-35

#2454959 - 08/29/15 11:59 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Loc: Central Texas
I finally completed Greensleeves to my satisfaction. I didn't have any problems adding in the overlapping pedal, and I really like the way it sounds with the pedal. What I'm finding the most challenging is moving the hands from one position to another without obvious hesitations. So I feel like most of my time learning this piece and The Stranger was spent on removing those hesitations. I've started learning Go Down, Moses and have the same issue. I can play each section just fine on its own, but am having the hardest time connecting those sections. I need to figure out how to move my hands to the new location accurately and with enough speed to keep in tempo. Any tips?

Bsw - I'd be curious to know if your teacher comes up with those other pieces. If not, will you be moving on to Alfred's book 2?

Megan - That Piano Technique Demystified sounds like an interesting book. Except for the over the head part. What about the video links? Were they helpful? As for the hands together on the Minuet, I've had some success using a metronome to get the timing of hands together sorted out. If you haven't already, give that a try.

Amanda - Wow, you really flew through the book. The only thing I had difficulty with on bar 5 of The Stranger was connecting it smoothly to bar 4 without a hesitation in between. What do you mean when you say it doesn't sound correct? As blackjack said about the correct notes, is your left hand playing on the right keys (an octave lower)?

Finfan - How do you like your new DP? Sounds like it might be taking a little getting used to, but I'm sure you'll adjust to it in no time.

Blackjack - Congrats on Laura and getting a star, no less! Sounds like you did a great job on it. I guess you can't expect to impress your teacher with every piece. Otherwise those star moments wouldn't feel so special. smile Is the Gilligan's Island piece the theme song to the show? If it is and it's accurate, I wouldn't mind learning it.

Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course Book 1 / Accelerated Piano Adventures Book 1
Casio Privia PX-850 / XXXV

#2455061 - Yesterday at 09:27 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Bsw Offline

Loc: Florida, United States
BlackJack, congrads on Laura. You will be done soon and moving on! Such an accomplishment!

Linda, I am curious to see what my teacher does with missing songs. We did talk about next book and he is recommending Alfreds #2. Will start to incorporate classical songs.

Bea

#2455068 - Yesterday at 09:52 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Finfan Online   content

Loc: Arizona USA
TX-Bluebonnet - I'm still a bit clumsy at the fingering. I'm having to learn how to hold my hands all over again. I start out properly but if I get the least bit distracted I go back to just pushing at the keys with my fingers. Also I am all over the place when it comes to how hard I strike the keys. I hit one note too loud then another too soft. It's why I'm starting at the beginning again. I've got to get this ingrained into my muscle memory.
The DP itself is great! One feature I've been using a lot is the preset pieces programmed into it. I think I've listened to "Fur Elsie" a dozen times since I got it. I want to be able to do that! It is going to be a while before most of the extra bells and whistles will mean anything to me.

#2455072 - Yesterday at 10:19 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
MeganR Offline

Loc: Near Yosemite, California
Blackjack, congrats on Laura, I love that teachers still give out stars. You have got me very interested in learning that piece when the time comes.

TX-Bluebonnet, for connecting the sections in Go Down Moses (and others) - maybe practice only the bars that make up the connecting parts of the sections? The bar or two before, and the bar or two after?

Andrew- thanks for that link to the technique video. I ended up watching a few of those, very informative.

I made some good progress on the Minuet to the point where I'm now able to play this section through without error sometimes. I did a few things - got out the good old metronome to force myself to slow down. I spent some time just thinking about one phrase so I could visualize what was actually happening in it, the shape of it I guess you could say. And then I decided to change two fingerings from what was in the music. I felt so bold and rebellious, ha ha. For example, the first note of the section I'm working on is a high B - the fingering was 5. The next phrase called for an A and I kept reaching for it with the 5 again and hitting the B. I was driving myself nuts with it. So I decided to try using the 4 for the B and the A and voila.

#2455145 - Yesterday at 02:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: AmandaH]
grace_note Online   content

Loc: California, USA
Originally Posted By AmandaH
I feel odd posting when so many before me has.

Over a span of basically for months I have almost finished this book. I'm working on perfecting Scarbourugh Fair and raisins and Almonds. And some timing of he's got the whole world. I think I have done well considering it's only been 4 months. I am however going to be working with a teacher and make my way through the RCM. I want to be able to play some classical pieces and most of all play music composed by joe hisaishi.

Did anyone else find the Stranger somewhat difficult it's the 5th bar that gives me problems. It just Doesn't sound...correct? And finally little brown jug....I wanted to shoot that song... But I can finally play it 90% well.

Good luck to all and...hello!

Welcome! Don't feel bad for posting here...it makes up for people like me who are slacking off grin

I've also been contemplating RCM.... I'm just missing something with Alfred's, and I need a new piano teacher...because my current one really isn't a piano teacher per se, but a voice and music teacher for kids.

I haven't posted here in awhile....between vacationing and house guests, I'm still treading water with At Last and Singin' in the Rain. But all my guests are gone now, and I'm back working on things.

#2455150 - Yesterday at 02:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: TX-Bluebonnet]

Originally Posted By TX-Bluebonnet
I finally completed Greensleeves to my satisfaction. I didn't have any problems adding in the overlapping pedal, and I really like the way it sounds with the pedal. What I'm finding the most challenging is moving the hands from one position to another without obvious hesitations. So I feel like most of my time learning this piece and The Stranger was spent on removing those hesitations. I've started learning Go Down, Moses and have the same issue. I can play each section just fine on its own, but am having the hardest time connecting those sections. I need to figure out how to move my hands to the new location accurately and with enough speed to keep in tempo. Any tips?

I usually set my metronome super slow after I've pretty much learned all the notes. Then I have plenty of time to smoothly get from one position to the next. Sometimes I find out there's a better way to finger or move my hands. Then gradually speed up, maintaining smoothness.

Another way is to practice Measures 1 & 2 together, then 2 & 3 together, then 3 & 4 together, etc. I learned Amazing Grace that way. By the time I got to the end, I'd ironed out every seam in the music! Hope this helps in some way.

#2455168 - Yesterday at 04:12 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
AmandaH Offline

Loc: Canada
TX-BlueBonnet- I had the chance to play The Stranger on another piano. I have a 115 year old piano that was tuned once but I'm getting it tuned again on Friday to finally bring it up to pitch. I have concluded it was the fact that my Piano still needs to be brought up to pitch on some keys. I don't have the music with me at the moment But its bar 5 or 6 that has the G# if I'm correct....that key is out of tune and thus making the piece sound weird.

I actually haven't had any trouble with the fingering in the song.... I find a very neat piece.

I have been enjoying Go Down Moses, but I'm still working on the part (again, I' at work and don't have my music with me) It's the Third Staff on the page and the changing triads....I have to think to make it sound right.

On a plus note, I can play Little Brown Jug with no mistakes now.

I've managed to get through both Scarborough Fair an Raisins and Almonds 1 with little mistakes...but I feel like they may have been a fluke. And He's got the whole world can almost be played with out stopping... But I feel like I'm playing one to many notes on the left land. I'm beginning the entertainer...just trying to train my mind to hear both notes... Practising the left hands chords so I hear it.

Grace Note- I start lessons on the 14th I'm rather excited. I feel more accomplished by saying I'm a level this or a level that... I've like Alfred';s because of the music theory in it....but I'm trying to really get my music theory down.

The only thing that concerns me of writing exams is A will I be by people who are way younger than me, and B I feel like I'm going to struggle with the ear tests and what not.... But I'm open to anything.... There is a recital at the end of the year...except I will be playing with 9 to 10 year-olds -_- But hopefully I'll be able to stun the crowd in the end... and not discourage the younger ones... Basically my piano teacher is new but I know her and she has taught many things before...but I'm paying 30$ for 1 hour which is a pretty good deal considering others are 60 or 75 for an hour...

#2455170 - Yesterday at 04:22 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: TX-Bluebonnet]
blackjack1777 Online   content

Loc: California
Wow lots of updates today!

Linda congrats on getting Greensleeves finished off. That was one of my favorite pieces to play and it was very exciting because it had the overlapping pedal element which was a new technique at that point in the book. Great job smile

Regarding your questions about the hesitations I would practice just the measures where you make the transition, very slowly, over and over again. I'm going through that right now on a song I'm working on and that's what my teacher is having me do.

And yes the Giligan's Island piece sounds like the theme from the show! When my teacher started playing it I recognized it immediately and it made me laugh. Check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbKZaAiaPL4

BSW thank you! Yes, I'm estimating that I'll move on to book 2 sometime in October. I only Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Gilligan's Island, and Chattanooga Choo Choo left to complete. That will be a solid 4-6 weeks of work if all goes well.

MeganR Thank you you! I was also surprised that teachers still gave out stars! Apparently either I'm a relatively below average student or my teacher is quite stingy in whom she gives them out to because that was my first one after a year with her!!! smile Nice to see that Minuet is coming together for you it's amazing how things that seemed so difficult eventually fall into place. Great job!

grace note Nice to see you back in the mix here. Good luck with Singin' in the Rain and and At Last. Looks like we'll both be finishing up around the same time.

As for me - today is the 1 year anniversary of when I took my first piano lesson and started my Alfred's journey. I just wanted to share all of that with you smile

Hope everyone has a great Sunday.

2014 Knabe 48" Upright (WMV-121)
Yamaha P-35

#2455201 - Yesterday at 06:45 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
MeganR Offline

Loc: Near Yosemite, California
Happy Anniversary blackjack! smile

#2455225 - Yesterday at 07:53 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]

Blackjack, congratulations. What a great milestone! Good progress for 1 year.

#2455238 - Yesterday at 08:47 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Bsw Offline

Blackjack, happy Anniversary!

#2455262 - Yesterday at 10:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Finfan - Nothing wrong with starting at the beginning again. Just keep at it.

Megan - Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried working on just the bars that make up the connecting part. And I think I got it down, but then it falls apart when I play through from the beginning. Maybe I just need to give it more time. Or try more slow metronome work like you did with the Minuet.

Grace_note - Welcome back from your vacationing and house guests. Good luck with those pieces you're working on, and with your quest to find a piano teacher.

Amanda - Well, it sounds like you resolved your problems. Sorry, I don't know what you mean by the "Third Staff" in Go Down Moses, or what you mean by it doesn't sound right? Like out of tune? Tempo not right? Something else? BTW, I can't believe you're playing so many pieces at once. I'd suggest slowing down and making sure you're getting everything out of each piece - correct dynamics, tempo, phrasing, etc.

Blackjack - Happy Piano Learning/Alfred's Journey Anniversary!! I'm sure you and Megan are right, I need to slow down (even more than I have been) and work those transition areas more to overcome those hesitation.

#2455498 - Today at 05:33 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
AmandaH Offline

Loc: Canada
Tx- now that I have music in front of me it was bar 12 and was the change between the ACE and G# DE. After getting the chance to spend some time on it, I ironed it out. It was just remembering to play the G#.

I find some songs easier than others. Right now I can play raisins and almonds with little mistakes where as I struggle with bar 13 in Scarbourugh Fair. I find if I switch to a different piece and come back later it all of a sudden comes together.

I also find it doesn't take long to learn a piece and play it correctly... Once I know the melody it's easy for me to replicate it... It could be from my background in high school and college choir...

I don't find I'm going that fast... I mean I'll spend a lot more time on he's got the whole world and I've only practiced the chords/left hand of the entertainer as I find if I know my left hand is slower at picking things up so I start it early.

I also don't put something away once I've learned it. I still play songs back from the begining ....including jingle bells. I don't do it often but I make a point 1 every week or two weeks to play everything.

I feel it works for me. I'm just trying to get most of the book finished by the 14th... That's a pretty big goal but I have the extra time to practice...being young and all. I spend a lot of my extra time at the piano...probably why my house never stays clean...

Blackjack - happy belated congratulations . It's weird to think where I could be in a year and the amount people grow in a year. I teach swimming lessons and have for the last 4 years, it's neat to see kids and adults swim a year from when they started.

#2455525 - Today at 06:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Bsw Offline

So, moving along. Passed on Old Lang Syne and starting O Solo Mio. Working on arpeggios to make playing smoother. He would rather have me play slow with no interruptions. Now where have I heard that before?

#2455549 - 55 minutes 49 seconds ago Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Amanda - It does sound like you have things under control, you speed demon. I hear you on the house cleaning thing, just shows that you have your priorities straight. smile

Bsw - I, too, am all for playing slow with no interruptions as opposed to sloppy playing. I'm learning to work on that concept myself in order to get rid of hesitations and play at a nice, even tempo.

Page 226 of 226 < 1 2 224 225 226

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Back to School Music SALE!
Save 10% in our online store
Just enter SAVE10 in the coupon box during checkout. *
And YES, you can save 10% AND still get free shipping on Jansen Artist benches!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
* Sale does not apply to advertising, how old requests, or any non-tangible items. Can not be combined with any other promotions. Ends August 31, 2015
(ad) Teaching Children Music
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Another tricky fingering question for Memories of Lightwaves
by Maralc
08/31/15 08:24 PM
Piano storage
by Chewbacca
08/31/15 06:31 PM
Looking for Sheet Music for This Song....
by newbert
08/31/15 06:16 PM
Does a silent system harm the acoustic action (Kawai)?
by danielp11
08/31/15 01:32 PM
Nonprofit Steinway project update! (with audio sample)
by TwoSnowflakes
08/31/15 01:18 PM
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,587 Registered Members
44 Forums
166,571 Topics
2,440,840 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission