Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
85 registered (AndyP, barbaram, Bachus, AndrewJCW, 22 invisible), 897 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 244 of 244 < 1 2 242 243 244
Topic Options
#2532781 - 04/21/16 08:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: grypol]
SadieLady Online   content

Loc: South Carolina
Originally Posted By grypol
who's stuck on Good People? smile

I am. I think the left hand is awkward. I'm getting better at it, but it's going slow. I'm not crazy about the blues songs in general. I'm also working on Little Brown Jug. Not really crazy about that either. I'll be glad to get past these. I looked ahead a little and think I'll like those songs better.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2532800 - 04/21/16 09:59 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: SadieLady]
Noonie Offline

Originally Posted By SadieLady

I am. I think the left hand is awkward. I'm getting better at it, but it's going slow. I'm not crazy about the blues songs in general. I'm also working on Little Brown Jug. Not really crazy about that either. I'll be glad to get past these. I looked ahead a little and think I'll like those songs better.

I think once you get use to Little Brown Jug you will like it. I was at a piano store the other day, and while I brought some photocopies of certain songs, I found myself playing this song from memory (first song I tried from memory!). And while I didn't like the first blues song at the time, I now play it daily (I like the creative aspects of that slight staccato touch and syncopation). Which is to say, our minds change as we continue this artistic journey!

#2532841 - 04/22/16 04:18 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: SadieLady]
marko697 Offline

Loc: Warwickshire, England
SadieLady

I found Good People quite difficult, don't think I ever did get it up to scratch. Keep going it will come.

Originally Posted By SadieLady

#2532858 - 04/22/16 06:34 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Noonie Offline

Towards the back of the book some of the songs require farther jumps around the keyboard, satay from simple triads to more difficult chords, an octave up or down. To stay in time is quite difficult. Would you practice the move over-and-over, or play the song in time and at some point this will come (I.e. Drill vs whole song)?

#2532872 - 04/22/16 08:39 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
fizikisto Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
Noonie,
I think it's a good general rule that if you're struggling with some part of a song, break it down into a smaller piece and slow down, slow way down. So I would focus on practicing the move hands alone until you have it down. Then slowly increase the speed and bring each part up to tempo. Then slow way down again and try hands together.... You don't necessarily have to do this to the entire song, but sometimes you might. Other times there might be just a few bars with trouble spots that you need to smooth out.

#2533325 - 04/23/16 06:10 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
SadieLady Online   content

Loc: South Carolina
Thanks Noonie and Marko697. Both songs are getting much better. I've worked so hard on Good People. I'm going to play it at least once a day for awhile. I'm actually getting to like it now.

#2533496 - 04/24/16 12:39 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Finfan Offline

Loc: Arizona USA
My teacher has started using lessons from the Alfred's book since I already have it. I just started on Good People. After about 90 minutes of practice I'm starting to get a bit of a feel for it but I doubt it will be smoothed out by my next lesson. I like how it sounds when done correctly. Now I just have to play it correctly.

#2535695 - 05/01/16 07:19 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Noonie Offline

I'm on Scarborough Fair and I'm experiencing a both hands challenge...I can play hands separate very easily, but together is much, much slower to learn. Usually a song is a certain degree of challenge for separate and together.

#2536592 - 05/04/16 12:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
loverboy181 Offline

Hi,
I've always wanted to play the piano..perhaps just a few tunes on that one sitting in the corner of a hotel Im visiting.
Canon D, Love Story or Phantom perhaps smile
So at 55 I bit the bullet and purchased a Roland Digital Rp401r.
How did I pick this?
I searched the net and tried to get an idea what. Visited a music store where a helpful young guy showed me a few things.
Then looked at review sites and it seemed to get a pretty good rap off most.
I found this site whilst looking for the best beginner books.
Im going to buy the first one mentioned and begin lessons with a teacher.
Delivery isnt till mid June so have a little time to prepare.
To say Im a beginner would be an understatement.
I cannot even play twinkle twinkle - totally green.
If anyone has any information or direction it would be most welcome.
Hopefully the journey will be successful.
Regards
Panda

Edited by loverboy181 (05/04/16 12:44 PM)

#2536814 - 05/04/16 10:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
EPW Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Have you played any other instrument?
Get flash cards to start learning: what a staff line is, a quarter note, half note, etc.
Go to a music store by you and look at beginning books on piano. If you happen to be near a Half Price Book Store
go there. In the clearance section I have always seen these books for dirt cheap. Plenty people start piano and give it up.
Not trying to scare you smile It is just that for 10 level one books sold it drops off quickly for each next level book sold.

You're in a thread about Alfred's All in one for Adults. Some are going about it by themselves, Some with a teacher.
If you can afford it, get a teacher and take lessons. For most it is years of practicing, but the journey can be very rewarding
and lots of fun.

I just brought the book for my wife to hopefully teach her. She has played flute for many years and wants to learn piano. I have played piano for many years. As a take, I sight read with only a few mistakes all of the pieces at the end of the book. Not patting myself on the back, just using it as a reference.

Already my wife is fretting about learning the bass clef. From flute she already knows the treble clef and how to read notation.
Also Android and IOS apps exist to help you recognize notes.

The journey begins smile

#2536882 - 05/05/16 06:13 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: EPW]
loverboy181 Offline

Hi EPW,
I have never played anything.
Didnt think about second hand book shops, so will go have a look tomorrow.
My plan is a teacher as well as do stuff by myself.
I work shift work and most of the teaching is set up for kids finishing school so hopefully she will want to earn a few $$ extra and I can be in before them.
Have to check on that though.
Im hopefully not going to be a 1 book wonder but its just early days.
Thanks for the tips.
Panda

#2536964 - 05/05/16 12:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
EPW Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Teacher is a great idea.
If you never had choir, band or any music training, start to learn the grand staff. This will take time. Lots of time.
That is to be expected. Most of us are not prodigies and sight reading takes years. I took lessons from age 8 to age 21. Got to
advanced level, but realized I was not going to make a living at music. Still music is in me and I play a for church once in a while. I wish you the best of luck and this site has plenty of people to help you along when you hit a road block.

#2537197 - 05/06/16 07:25 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Sandy Fry Offline

Loc: SoCal
@Loverboy.

I just started taking lessons a few weeks ago at age 52. I also suggest getting a teacher. I found a teacher locally at a great price ( and she comes to my house! )and she keeps me motivated because I don't want to let her down. I honestly think I would have already given up if I were trying to do self taught with the book.

I too will be happy if I can sit at the piano and play something recognizable that I, and others, will enjoy. I was amazed at how pleased I was just managing to play something super simple!

I also work shifts ( nights ) but my teacher is very flexible with her time. I sleep during the day and need time to get myself alert when I wake so lessons on a work day would be tiring. My days off change each month but my teacher has always found time on one of my days off each week for a lesson.

Get a teacher! You won't regret it.

Dave

#2538558 - 05/10/16 07:12 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
nights Offline

I'm having a bit of trouble with The Can-Can. It's fine with hands separately but with both the sound just doesn't flow right. Not sure if I'm still just playing it slowly.

#2538984 - 05/12/16 05:40 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: nights]
Noonie Offline

Originally Posted By nights
I'm having a bit of trouble with The Can-Can. It's fine with hands separately but with both the sound just doesn't flow right. Not sure if I'm still just playing it slowly.

When you play hands together, slowly, it may not sound anything like the song in your head (or a YouTube version you can listen to)...but as you play it accurately and increase tempo, it starts to sound better.

#2539019 - 05/12/16 09:25 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
BamaKathy Offline

Loc: Alabama
I am on a song now in my book (Little Brown Jug) and seem to have hit a brick wall. I have been taking weekly lessons since September of 2015, (8 months) and feel like maybe we have just gone too fast??? I am so very frustrated. Just looking at the songs now, I feel so ill equipped. If you have any suggestions, please post. I have always enjoyed lessons, and have never missed a day practicing, but just feel like throwing in the towel.

Edited by BamaKathy (05/12/16 09:29 AM)

#2539067 - 05/12/16 11:48 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: BamaKathy]
ajames Offline

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Loc: Austin, Texas
With me, when I get frustrated it's always because my expectations get too far ahead of reality. I try to focus on how far I've come (positive things) instead of how bad I am (negative). If you think too much about the negative things they will grow bigger and bigger in your mind.

Another thing I've learned is that slowing down your practice tempo ALWAYS helps. If a piece seems too hard, that is the way to conquer it. In fact, my journey at the piano could be summarized as learning (and relearning, and relearning again, etc) to slow down my practice tempo... As pieces get harder you have to slow down more and more in the learning phases.

So cut yourself some slack, focus on the positive progress you've made, spend 10-15 min playing it as slowly as you need to to play it correctly, sleep well, and the next day you will find it easier guaranteed.

LX, XXXVIII-6-XXXIII

#2539508 - 05/13/16 10:39 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
AndrewJCW Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Middle of nowhere, Australia
Great advice ajames. I think about it this way, each day spend 15% on easy stuff, 15% on hard stuff, and 70% on stuff you're about at but won't get too frustrated on. This can be tough to do as a beginner working from a single book, but that's why I'd always have a scope of 3-4 song's I'm "on".

Frustration is good, it's a natural process of learning. But it's also dangerous if there's too much. As an adult though you should have a good idea of what a workable level of frustration is for you and be able to manage it.

Nice to pop back in here and see people still working through things. I finished the books a while ago and have had quite a piano break but am getting my mojo back now so I'll be around. smile

Edited by AndrewJCW (05/13/16 10:44 PM)

#2541035 - 05/18/16 01:28 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Albunea Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Spain
People, meet joeyh! He is new to the Alfred's club.

#2541244 - 05/19/16 04:12 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Albunea]
joeyh1234 Offline

Originally Posted By Albunea
People, meet joeyh! He is new to the Alfred's club.

haha thanks Albunea, I ordered the book yesterday so hopefully it will arrive in a few days. I'm only going to be able to give it limited attention until the 7th June as I have exams coming up so need to make sure I am prepped for them.
Look out for me posting dumb questions in the coming future laugh

#2544308 - 05/28/16 09:14 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
nights Offline

I have two questions Why Am I Blue?.

For the pedal part, do I start the chord first then pedal. Or do I do both at the same time?

And I'm confused about the B flat notation. Why isn't it in the beginning with the sharp sign? I thought I was only suppose to play B flat for that one note then go back to B natural (B flat, D, B, G).

#2544320 - 05/28/16 09:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: nights]
earlofmar Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I have two questions
For the pedal part, do I start the chord first then pedal.

I would say pedal after starting the chord but in practice I might play the chord and pedal at the same time. I don't think it would really matter.

And I'm confused about the B flat notation. Why isn't it in the beginning with the sharp sign? I thought I was only suppose to play B flat for that one note then go back to B natural (B flat, D, B, G).

A flat cannot be in the key signature with a sharp sign and in any case not every B here is flattened. So it is B natural at the start and flat when notated. The rule for accidentals is they are good for the whole bar they appear in.

XL, XXXVIII-9-XXX

#2544321 - 05/28/16 10:04 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: nights]
AndrewJCW Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Middle of nowhere, Australia

As earlofmar explained, the key signature at the start sets the default for the whole piece, but accidentals can still appear throughout the piece, but it only applies to the specific note and any of the same note in that bar.

For your example bar it would be (B flat, D, B flat, G).

#2544326 - 05/28/16 10:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: earlofmar]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By earlofmar
The rule for accidentals is they are good for the whole bar they appear in.

Not really. Accidentals apply to notes, which do not appear in bars. They appear in measures, which are separated by bars.

Thus, an accidental is good for the whole measure in which it appears, and it ends at the following bar, which starts the next measure.

Learning the piano is hard enough without changing the meaning of often-used words, and potentially confusing beginners reading this on the internet!

Yes I know that the tune in question falls into the category of a "12 bar blues", but most people know that means 12 measures that are separated by bars, rather than "bars" separated by...what...? laugh

A Blues tune with my trio: https://www.box.com/s/43da5e4ca6432d021eb8

#2544398 - Yesterday at 04:15 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
To be honest, I have always thought bars and measures were synonyms.

I have pretty much used them interchangeably all my life, with others who have done the same. .
(Without confusion I might add smile. )

Live and learn.

XVIII-XLII
Follow your teacher's instructions and practice wisely/much, and you'll soon wonder how you ever found it hard. BobPickle
Performance anxiety: make it part of your daily routine and deal with it...Cope! zrtf90

#2544413 - Yesterday at 05:54 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Noonie Offline

I recently got through Scarborough Fair and Raisins & Almonds. Both songs have a nice flow, so I found them easy to learn, though each required practice to get them decent. However, the repetitive/similar notes played by the left hand cause me some pain, literally! I practiced these two songs for most of my daily practice, and I had some forearm pain. I have some neck/shoulder issues and it goes right to my arms when it flares up, and it did...I think as a result of too much time spent on these songs. Yesterday I practiced longer than normal, but spent only the last 5-10 minutes on these songs, and today it's much better.

Page 244 of 244 < 1 2 242 243 244

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Why It's Impossible to Tune a Piano!
aka, why you should be nice to your tuner.
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad)
Hammond A100 for Sale!
PRICE DROPPED!
(Think B3)
Hammond A100 for sale!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad 125)
Sweetwater $55,000 Giveaway
Sweetwater $55,000 Mic Locker Giveaway
(ads)
PD - WNG - MH
Wessell Nickel & Gross
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Scales, chords and arpeggios
by h8dk97
Today at 03:51 AM
Piano solo or accompaniment only?
by marimorimo
Today at 03:15 AM
Tunelab - multiple peaks in high treble
by ascc
Today at 02:10 AM
Technique Book?
by schlaigs
Yesterday at 10:32 PM
Yamaha Clavinova Troubles
by StartwithBach
Yesterday at 08:58 PM
Forum Stats
83,809 Registered Members
44 Forums
173,024 Topics
2,529,148 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission