Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
141 registered (36251, AmateurBob, anamnesis, aceydawg, accordeur, 44 invisible), 1501 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 206 of 206 < 1 2 ... 204 205 206
Topic Options
#2348330 - 11/10/14 07:51 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Mike407 Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I agree with Fizikisto. It's like reading a map - you don't look at every exit but there landmarks worth paying attention to. I look for repetitions and that helps me play through sections without closely reading the music. I highlight my jumping back in point and read more closely until the next repeat. "The Entertainer" is a perfect piece to play with that in mind.

103 year old Schmoller and Mueller
Slightly newer Kawai ES 100

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2348409 - 11/10/14 11:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Barry1963 Offline

Loc: Nashville, Tennessee
havent got much practice in lately, but looks like the busy is easing off
currently Alfreds book #1
Hallet & Davis Co , spinet

#2348847 - 11/11/14 11:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Loc: Central Texas
Hi Anita,

Welcome to the Alfred's thread. What did you play in band? I haven't decided yet myself if I want to go on to book 2 when I finish. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get a piano teacher early next year, so a lot will depend on that. Do you have a teacher?

Started my piano journey June 2014 at age 54.
My digital piano: Casio Privia PX-850.
Working on "Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course" Book 1
XXXV

#2348849 - 11/11/14 11:06 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Hey Barry,

I haven't been getting much practice in either, but even on the worst days I still manage to squeeze in at least 15 minutes of piano time. We just have to grab whatever time we can and just keep chugging along. smile I actually haven't done anything with the Alfred's book these last couple of weeks, hoping to get back to it after the recital.

XXXV

#2348860 - 11/11/14 11:45 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Anita Potter Offline

Loc: Colorado
I played the clarinet when I was in band about a million years ago. I don't have a piano teacher with my work schedule (overnights) and kids there's very little time aside from my days off to get some practice in.

I'm currently on page 51 and the one thing that I'm struggling with is to get my brain to think independently with what each of my hands needs to be doing. I can do things separately and play them find but when I try to put them together my brain goes to mush and my fingers won't go where they're supposed to. I need more practice that's for sure.
Air BWV Anh. 131 - Bach

#2348947 - 11/12/14 07:28 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Anita Potter]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lewes DE
Hi Anita;

This is a very common issue for beginners. It took me months to begin to succeed at left/right hand independence. It just takes practice; All of a sudden you will notice that your hands have minds of their own! smile

And it doesn't stop there. I'm currently working on a couple of 17th century pieces that are stretching the limit of what I can do in this regard. It never ends, but it is a rush when you finally master the next level of this critical piano skill.

Good luck!

#2348964 - 11/12/14 08:10 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Anita Potter]
Purkoy Online   content

Loc: United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: Anita Potter
I can do things separately and play them find but when I try to put them together my brain goes to mush and my fingers won't go where they're supposed to.

That's how it goes for everyone. I found it very difficult at first, and I remember the first piece I chose to learn, a little minuet by Rameau, which looked incredibly easy :

http://www.sheetmusic2print.com/Media/Rameau/Menuet-Rondeau.pdf

It took me two months to get the first couple of bars, after relentless hands-separate and attempts at hands-together exercising, doing it incredibly slowly. I still remember the elation when at last the fingers of both hands finally agreed where they should go during those first two bars, and I don't recall a buzz like it. I wanted to ring people up and tell them.

It does come eventually, and then you find there are new challenges and new things to learn, new barriers to breach. It never stops. It's endlessly fascinating.

#2349005 - 11/12/14 10:05 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Anita Potter Offline

Thank you both smile That was the one thing that seemed like it would be difficult to do with one hand playing one thing and the other playing something else. Which is kind of terrifying to me that there's a seed of doubt that I'll be able to ever achieve that but I'm learning to ignore that and press on.

Working through the book and having a piece I'm trying (Melody by Schumann) and to me it didn't look hard, I was wrong. On the third bar my fingers are going in opposite directions and though I know the first four bars separately doing the 3rd and 4th bars require a ton of concentration that I wasn't expecting. Sometimes I think even steam is coming from my ears with how hard I'm concentrating on it.

That to me is my goal right now is to get that independence happening then I can move on to other things.

I'm glad I found this place everyone here is so helpful and encouraging.
Air BWV Anh. 131 - Bach

#2349036 - 11/12/14 10:45 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Anita Potter]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lewes DE
One exercise you can try to to play the C Major pentascale with both hands, both in contrary and parallel motion.

This will really come in handy down the road, and many of my early exercises focused on this skill.

#2349286 - 11/12/14 06:52 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Anita Potter Offline

I did find the major scales and the pentatonic scales last night so I'll begin work on one of each of them in a little bit.
Air BWV Anh. 131 - Bach

#2349304 - 11/12/14 07:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Anita Potter]
Purkoy Online   content

Loc: United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: Anita Potter
Working through the book and having a piece I'm trying (Melody by Schumann) and to me it didn't look hard, I was wrong.

I had to laugh aloud when I read this. It's just me all over again. The number of times I've looked at a page and thought, that's going to be easy, then ... you know the rest!

Most of the pieces I've learned didn't require more than one or two fingers per line, and I looked at one piece (it's in the Burgmuller Op100 set), which had a few runs in thirds, and I thought, yes, I can do that, they just go up and down like scales. Then I found that I needed to play the thirds with fingers (5,3) (4,2) (3,1) and so on, and getting these alternating fingers to agree to come down together was so tricky. As it happened, someone here was practising the same piece, and I cribbed the advice serendipitously. It seems that no matter what you come up against, someone has come up against the same thing, and there's always a way to tackle it.

#2349316 - 11/12/14 08:03 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: TX-Bluebonnet]
Barry1963 Offline

Loc: Nashville, Tennessee
Originally Posted By: TX-Bluebonnet
Hey Barry,

I haven't been getting much practice in either, but even on the worst days I still manage to squeeze in at least 15 minutes of piano time. We just have to grab whatever time we can and just keep chugging along. smile I actually haven't done anything with the Alfred's book these last couple of weeks, hoping to get back to it after the recital.

Hey Linda,
Im happy to say I got an hour in today
currently Alfreds book #1
Hallet & Davis Co , spinet

#2349345 - 11/12/14 09:28 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Anita Potter Offline

Hee hee I know right? wink I don't think I'll make the mistake again of thinking something looks easy then try to play it and it's not. I learned my lesson with that.

I did grab the Minuet sheet mentioned earlier. It's been a good practice for me trying to get to grips with the bass clef notes since the other piece is two hands on the treble. I kept trying to play the bass the same as the treble and have caught myself a few times going no, that's not right. Going slow with it making sure I hit the right notes at the right time as well as watched some you tube videos of other people playing it.

I've been doing one page a day on the days I have to work and will go through more of it on my days off currently on page 54 or 55 I forget.
Air BWV Anh. 131 - Bach

#2350631 - 11/15/14 04:04 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Anita Potter]
bonesy Offline

Pg. 55, instruction #5. What does "RH 3" "LH 3" mean? I understand what "RH" and "LH" mean, of course, but what am I missing with the "3"'s? I feel like this is something simple that I am just blanking on.

Thanks

#2350640 - 11/15/14 04:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Tom Christian Online   content

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado
My interpretation is that they want you to play all of the notes using one finger only: RH 3 for the treble clef, LH 3 for the bass clef. I have no explanation for why that's the case.
XXXV

#2350670 - 11/15/14 05:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: bonesy]
EnGee Offline

Loc: Auckland, NZ
Originally Posted By: bonesy
Pg. 55, instruction #5. What does "RH 3" "LH 3" mean? I understand what "RH" and "LH" mean, of course, but what am I missing with the "3"'s? I feel like this is something simple that I am just blanking on.

Thanks

My guess is to play them with fingers number #3 of each hand, because this is what you play if both thumps share the C key. It is just a guess though.

#2351678 - 11/17/14 11:04 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Took a short break from the Alfred's book while I worked on my recital piece, but I'm back now. I'm currently working on "O Sole Mio!" So far it's coming along mostly okay, except for my usual issue with clunky sounding block chords. I haven't attempted the arpeggiated chords yet. Looks kind of scary. Maybe I'll give it a try tomorrow. eek

XXXV

#2351736 - 11/18/14 03:52 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
EnGee Offline

Loc: Auckland, NZ
Hi Linda, You did very well in the recital, congratulations smile

I thought the piece you played was hard! I was preparing a difficult piece for my level, but I realised that I must take it easy. But Bravo! you could do it thumb You need to keep practising on it though. It is a beautiful piece IMO and deserve to be mastered smile

Ok back to Alfred's book. For me, it is still the same plan that I'm following. Both e-media and Alfred's book are the main teachers (and taking few minutes almost every day in EarMaster).
In e-medial I'm in lesson 103 of 300 and in Alfred's book just had today "Beutiful Brown Eyes" so I'm in the middle almost smile
I feel I'm progressing fine, I could break the first walls, that is my slow playing, and slow learning. I'm faster now in both learning the pieces and playing them fast.
In e-medial there are two speeds, one normal or slow, and one fast. This is really good for practising the speed and adjusting the "inner" rhythm.

#2352574 - 11/20/14 12:40 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Thanks, EnGee. I am still working on that piece, trying to get it to sound better. I really hope you'll submit something in the next recital. I thought your piece in the first recital was really nice and was disappointed when you didn't show up to this last one. As for your progress, it sounds like you're doing really well, especially since you're doing multiple methods at once. You're on a roll.. keep it up!! smile

XXXV

Page 206 of 206 < 1 2 ... 204 205 206

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano evening at my teachers house
by Peter071
Today at 10:04 AM
Freelance collaborative pianist - money issues
by MiguelSousa
Today at 10:02 AM
Help for this student.... Notes!
by IPlayPiano
Today at 09:44 AM
Free collection of intermediate to very advanced Xmas music
by pianoloverus
Today at 09:39 AM
Some observations about digital piano
by TonyB
Today at 09:36 AM
Forum Stats
77067 Members
42 Forums
159396 Topics
2341455 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission