Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad)
Calculator Looks Like Piano Keyboard
Calculator that looks like a piano keyboard
Piano Keyboard Calculator

New in the Piano World online store (PianoSupplies.com) now.
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyers Guide
Who's Online
47 registered (36251, bennevis, alwatson, 15 invisible), 1191 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 245 of 245 < 1 2 243 244 245
Topic Options
#2545577 - 06/02/16 07:04 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Sandy Fry Offline

Loc: SoCal
Welcome diazwoman.

I too am a complete beginner ( a little over 2 months in ) at age 52. Started self teaching but got so super frustrated after a week that I got a teacher. Best thing I did. I too am super busy but my teacher comes to my house and even though I sometimes have to change the day and time she always manages to accommodate me.

Good luck in the journey.

David

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2545778 - 06/02/16 08:22 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
diazwoman61 Offline

Loc: USA
thanks, I can't wait till I start with a teach but in meantime am enjoying myself and learning quite a bit.

#2548547 - 06/11/16 03:04 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Scylin Offline

Loc: Netherlands
EDIT: nvm, I actually managed to buy the wrong book, lol.
I bought Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course: Lesson Book 1 (in Dutch) instead of the all-in-one version.

Would anyone know what the difference is?

Edited by Scylin (06/11/16 03:15 PM)

#2551010 - 06/21/16 09:02 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Scylin]
BamaKathy Offline

Loc: Alabama
The All in One Book contains all the technique pages- like worksheets on the difference skills you are learning. I found these very useful, especially those on new chords or new hand positions, etc.

#2551011 - 06/21/16 09:05 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
BamaKathy Offline

I am pleased to be able to tell you, after bouts of self doubt and even crying at my piano lesson, I can now play " Little Brown Jug" and "Why Am I Blue." I am thrilled, as they seemed almost impossible when I started! I am a 60 year old beginner, very close to finishing book one.

#2551033 - 06/21/16 10:54 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
AndrewJCW Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Middle of nowhere, Australia
Well done BamaKathy! I'm sure you'll look back on your book 1 struggles very fondly in a couple of years.

#2551175 - 06/21/16 09:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: BamaKathy]
diazwoman61 Offline

Loc: USA
Good for you Bama Kathy, I look forward to being where you are someday. How long ago did you start?

#2551465 - 06/23/16 04:36 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Sandy Fry Offline

Loc: SoCal
After a little over 3 months of lessons ( one a week ) I am at " Blow the man down " and it is driving me nuts! I swear I am gonna get it even if it kills me!
I had some difficulty with some of the earlier songs because I seem to find it hard to try and play things where the tune is not familiar to me. There are a bunch of songs in the book I am not familiar with and I found them tedious to try to learn. I am getting there though. Slow and steady. Wish I hadn't waited until I was in my 50's though. Never too late to start so they say.

David

#2551564 - 06/23/16 04:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Noonie Offline

BamaKathy - congratulations! Now for the bad news, some of the upcoming songs are much harder! They will likely take you longer to learn, but you will definitely get there...with patience, and practice ;-)

Sandy Fry - BTMD gets frequently identified as the first real trouble spot in the book. It is a big step to get through it!

#2551705 - 06/24/16 05:56 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
SadieLady Offline

Loc: South Carolina
Here's a link to the Alfred AIO level one songs on youtube. I didn't know some of them either and the videos definitely were helpful to see how fast to play and the dynamics of a piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRe3dlAzLRw&list=PLeW-cELRAmSl9fQyFwa9BIpeSHzlxuSYM
Waltz, Rebikov

#2553313 - 06/30/16 11:10 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: diazwoman61]
BamaKathy Offline

I started the end of September, so really 7 months, since I missed the whole month of March because I was visiting my son.

#2555470 - 07/09/16 03:52 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
nights Offline

I'm having a lot of trouble with O Sole Mio. I just don't feel comfortable with playing fingers 3 and 5 together. It's hard to keep the other fingers from flying up. I seem to do fine on my left hand though. Are there any exercises to help with this?

I have no idea how to play the Arpeggiated Chords. It doesn't really explain it well. Do I start the bass and treble cleffs at the same time?

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/gallery/42/full/4101.jpg

Edited by nights (07/09/16 03:54 PM)

#2555509 - 07/09/16 05:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
AndrewJCW Offline
500 Post Club Member

The easiest way to understand and explain something like that is always through example. Just look up someone posting it on YouTube. There's a playlist posted 2 posts ago.

Edited by AndrewJCW (07/09/16 05:58 PM)

#2556398 - 07/13/16 09:31 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
BigDubs Offline

Loc: NY, USA
Hello. Relatively new member here, and I just wanted to introduce myself. I took piano lessons for a little over a year, but that was more than 30 years ago. I quit for a variety of silly reasons that seemed oh so important to a 12 year old, but had always regretted it. I always had excuses why I didn't start again (schooling, work, family, etc.). My girls play piano and now, at nearly 45, after a few humorous conversations with my wife, I decided to start again (she is fully supportive). One thing that has changed about me is that now as an adult, when I do decide to do something, I go all in and am fully committed.

I'll be taking lessons with my daughter's teacher (first lesson is tonight!), and bought the Alfred's book as a supplement. The book came this week and I've worked through the first 30 pages (through harmonic intervals), refreshing my memory. I need to spend more time reviewing those intervals as my fingers are not used to playing those, especially the 4th and 5th. Practice, practice, practice.

Anyway, this is a wonderful thread and your enthusiasm is catching. I appreciate following all of your progress as it's a great motivator, not counting the excellent advice I've seen here as well. Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute my own in the coming months.

Thanks for listening. Or is that reading? wink

#2556900 - 07/16/16 12:42 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
mcwee Offline

Loc: Little red dot
I am so glad to stumble to this site. Me too late beginner, going to start my lesson in Aug.

#2556913 - 07/16/16 02:40 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
AndrewJCW Offline
500 Post Club Member

Welcome BigDubs and mcwee, good luck in your Alfred's adventure.

#2558574 - 07/25/16 09:35 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
coachz Offline

Loc: Charleston, SC
Is there a place I can download the midi files for book 1 ? Please feel free to message me and thanks in advance !
Kawai ES8, Rokit 8's with 10" sub, Buffet Crampon 400 Alto Sax, Kentucky Mandolin, Agile Les Paul guitar, Seagull 12 string Coastline QI, 5 string Ibanez attack bass, Yamaha 6 string acoustic, Line 6 variax guitar, Digimax FS IO, RME 9652 PC audio card and much much more.

#2558742 - 07/26/16 12:04 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
AndrewJCW Offline
500 Post Club Member

I don't think you'll find a midi. One of the main reasons people use the book is to learn to read sheet music. There's plenty of examples of youtube if you want to hear what any song is meant to sound like.

#2558872 - 07/26/16 02:48 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
coachz Offline

Loc: Charleston, SC
that will work just fine. thanks for the idea. My book was just delivered today. Time to get cracking !
Kawai ES8, Rokit 8's with 10" sub, Buffet Crampon 400 Alto Sax, Kentucky Mandolin, Agile Les Paul guitar, Seagull 12 string Coastline QI, 5 string Ibanez attack bass, Yamaha 6 string acoustic, Line 6 variax guitar, Digimax FS IO, RME 9652 PC audio card and much much more.

#2558873 - 07/26/16 02:51 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: coachz]
bSharp[C]yclist Offline

Loc: Orange County, California
I think you'll find this Youtube channel helpful

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqsAy81NZWMpynbJLlKsAZg

#2559713 - Today at 12:55 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
sunnycsm Offline

Hi friends,
I am learning page 95-105 this week using Alfred Adult all-in-one Book 1. Getting really excited to know this forum, now learning chords, practising C major chords, hope to encourage each other here in this forum!

Page 245 of 245 < 1 2 243 244 245

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Piano Summit 2017 - Join Us!
along with Chick Corea, Jonathan Cain, David Rosenthal, Set Rudetsky, Ray Chew, Onree Gill ...
-------------------
Why Do YOU Play the Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad)
Pianist Magazine
Pianist Magazine - Helping you become a better player
(ad)
Defining National Piano Schools
Defining National Piano Schools
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ads)
PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai CN34 or Roland F-140R? (or maybe Casio Celviano AP650)
by misa063
07/30/16 05:58 AM
NH vs GHS vs casio Scaled hammer action (casio)
by Bolster
07/30/16 03:47 AM
"Sugar coating" needling?
by tirta
07/30/16 03:35 AM
EBVT for Concerts, Revisited
by Cinnamonbear
07/30/16 12:28 AM
Dgx 630 vs px130
by Bolster
07/29/16 11:57 PM
Forum Stats
84,465 Registered Members
44 Forums
174,223 Topics
2,544,066 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission