Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
115 registered (AmateurBob, angga888, AllanH, 88fingers88, Anita Potter, anotherscott, 39 invisible), 1359 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 215 of 215 < 1 2 213 214 215
Topic Options
#2418869 - 05/10/15 06:18 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
LadyNemesis Offline

It's funny how tastes differ, I like both Greensleeves and On top of Old Smokey.
And I really like Scarborough fair! I'm curious what you will think of that one smile

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2419022 - 05/10/15 04:21 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
BRS Offline

Loc: Warsaw, Poland
I'm a beginner of the beginners

Just started this weekend after a 30 year absence from playing an instrument.

Must have played Jingle Bells 100+ times this weekend, every time with at least one error. The top of my right hand is a little numb/in pain - too much too soon? bad form? a combination of both?

I hope to catch up with you all soon.

Edited by BRS (05/10/15 04:23 PM)

Roland FP-80 (8 May 2015)
High school trumpet (1982 - 1984)
Casio VL-1 (1981) mainly used the calculator

#2419107 - 05/10/15 10:47 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: LadyNemesis]
_silvia_ Offline

Loc: Southeast PA, USA
Originally Posted By LadyNemesis
It's funny how tastes differ, I like both Greensleeves and On top of Old Smokey.
And I really like Scarborough fair! I'm curious what you will think of that one smile

I love it. And because they are all folk songs, I started reading about their history. It is fascinating.

Welcome, BRS! I can't give any good advice, except to tell you to rest and recover, then try again. If the injury comes back, seek help from a teacher.

Edited by _silvia_ (05/10/15 10:51 PM)

#2421848 - 05/18/15 04:18 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
HuiChinny Offline

Hi Everyone! It's been awhile since I checked in here. I'm now at pg 51 - Love Somebody and A Friend Like You. Next attempt will be Money Can't Buy Everything. It's getting harder! My girl has been bugging me to learn the song Let It Go from Frozen. Gosh I can't even read the score well - it's so hard!

Hey BRS - which page are you at now?

#2422014 - 05/18/15 11:37 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Dru Morgan Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
If you are wondering if Alfred's ever gets past the "finger position = note" style and breaks loose to just move up and down the keys, Greensleeves is it. I'm finding that just using the force and "feeling" the interval is showing me where to put my next finger. The right hand spans from E, just above middle C all the way to F# an octave to the right, with a bunch of accidentals thrown in for good measure.

#2422153 - 05/18/15 05:27 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
blackjack1777 Offline

Loc: California
Hello everyone, I am back after a couple weeks due to injuring my finger.

I'm mostly healed now, just waiting for the fingernail to fall off frown but at least the pain is gone and I didn't break anything.

I finally can let the Stranger and Greensleeves rest now that my teacher has passed me! smile

Also, if you're interested I submitted Greensleeves to the ABF Recital #38 that was just released here on piano world. This is a link to my performance if you'd like to click and listen.

Greensleeves Recital #38 Submission

I'm now working on Scarborough Fair and Raisins & Almonds. I love both of these pieces a lot!! But they're turning out to be more difficult than expected as usual.

Hope everyone else is doing well and progressing.

2014 Knabe 48" Upright (WMV-121)
Yamaha P-35

#2422497 - 05/19/15 04:29 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
G3ck0 Offline

I was wondering how this book compared to 'Alfred's Self-Teaching Adult Piano Course'. Is there much difference?

#2422549 - 05/19/15 06:49 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Bsw Offline

Blackjack. Greensleeves is very nice. Looking forward to getting there. I'm slow, just starting the blues. But totally enjoying the journey!

#2422553 - 05/19/15 07:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Bsw]
blackjack1777 Offline

BSW thank you!

Regarding your pace, don't worry it's all about the journey like you mentioned. I am by far one of the slowest people on this board in terms of my progress thru Alfred's smile

Enjoy the blues pieces, I really liked learning those and felt accomplished once I was able to get them sounding good.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your progress in the future.

Yamaha P-35

#2422592 - 05/19/15 09:39 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
grace_note Offline

Loc: California, USA
Hello Everyone! I didn't see an "Introductions" area, so I'm introducing myself here, since I am working through this book, and in the same place as some of you...finishing up O Sole Mio and starting Jericho and The Stranger. I just started in January as an adult beginner, but I was self-taught as a kid, so I can read music. That's a plus, but I have no skills frown I have a nice teacher though, and she's helping me a lot.

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences!

#2422862 - 05/20/15 02:42 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Dru Morgan Offline

Honestly, I've been ignoring the damper pedal. But, with Greensleeves, you really have to remove your hands and move them both to start the next section a few times in the middle of the piece.

Just had an "aha" moment. With the pedal, I've got plenty of time to finish out the note and move up to the next spot without creating a hesitation break. smile

#2422873 - 05/20/15 03:21 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Dru Morgan]
blackjack1777 Offline

Originally Posted By Dru Morgan
Honestly, I've been ignoring the damper pedal. But, with Greensleeves, you really have to remove your hands and move them both to start the next section a few times in the middle of the piece.

Just had an "aha" moment. With the pedal, I've got plenty of time to finish out the note and move up to the next spot without creating a hesitation break. smile

Dru, I noticed this as well, but I think that's probably not a good conclusion to draw because although the pedal may disguise hesitation breaks as you describe, it doesn't cover up that the next note after the hesitation break is still coming in late.

Yamaha P-35

#2422875 - 05/20/15 03:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Dru Morgan Offline

Makes sense. I don't want to "wait" to get there, but I do want the sound to continue as I make the jump. I'll have to listen to a recording to see if I am actually hesitating.

#2422883 - 05/20/15 03:38 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: grace_note]
blackjack1777 Offline

Originally Posted By grace_note
Hello Everyone! I didn't see an "Introductions" area, so I'm introducing myself here, since I am working through this book, and in the same place as some of you...finishing up O Sole Mio and starting Jericho and The Stranger. I just started in January as an adult beginner, but I was self-taught as a kid, so I can read music. That's a plus, but I have no skills frown I have a nice teacher though, and she's helping me a lot.

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences!

grace_note welcome aboard!

O Solo Mio was one of my favorites. Let me know how you like Jericho, I thought that one was really fun and had a unique sound to it. Look forward to hearing of your progress smile

Yamaha P-35

Page 215 of 215 < 1 2 213 214 215

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Nocturne Op 9 No 1, bar 15 how to play
by briandang
05/22/15 08:30 PM
What to check for when buying a used DP?
by Nimi1
05/22/15 05:40 PM
String levelling issue?
by Chris Warren
05/22/15 04:59 PM
Someone PLEASE tell me this is a joke...
by Svenno
05/22/15 03:42 PM
Looking for a short showpiece for an encore
by Svenno
05/22/15 03:01 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,377 Registered Members
44 Forums
164,253 Topics
2,409,317 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission