Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
62 registered (Amosdoll, Beemer, ando, Adypiano, AndrewJCW, 12 invisible), 797 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Page 223 of 223 < 1 2 221 222 223
Topic Options
#2446286 - 07/31/15 03:06 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Dru Morgan Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
When I am struggling (as I have been with The Entertainer for three days now) I don't use a metronome. I just isolate a phrase, or measure, and literally hit one slice at a time. First slice is just right hand, maybe. Second is both hands. Third is just the left and then another with both.

I literally hit the one key. Freeze. Look at the music. Enjoy my success at hitting one key. Then consciously move my eyes to the next "slice". Think about it. Perhaps look at my hands. Move my hands. Hit the next note(s). Freeze. Look at the music. Enjoy my success at hitting two keys at once.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

After doing this a few (or many) times, my hands just learn where they are supposed to go and the rhythm get burned in. Then I might be able to play one whole measure. Do that 20 times. And move on. smile

MUCH SLOWER than simply playing at a slow pace. Almost as if each slice of the music is just a flash card, meant to be solved one at a time.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2446431 - Yesterday at 05:32 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Dru Morgan]
Noonie Offline

Originally Posted By Dru Morgan
When I am struggling (as I have been with The Entertainer for three days now) I don't use a metronome. I just isolate a phrase, or measure, and literally hit one slice at a time. First slice is just right hand, maybe. Second is both hands. Third is just the left and then another with both.

I literally hit the one key. Freeze. Look at the music. Enjoy my success at hitting one key. Then consciously move my eyes to the next "slice". Think about it. Perhaps look at my hands. Move my hands. Hit the next note(s). Freeze. Look at the music. Enjoy my success at hitting two keys at once.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

After doing this a few (or many) times, my hands just learn where they are supposed to go and the rhythm get burned in. Then I might be able to play one whole measure. Do that 20 times. And move on. smile

MUCH SLOWER than simply playing at a slow pace. Almost as if each slice of the music is just a flash card, meant to be solved one at a time.

Ok, that is much slower than I was thinking. Last night I isolated the measure that was causing me grief and started slow, but pushed on until I played it over and over without pause. I then went back to the beginning and tried to play through to the end of this measure. I would stumble again. But the repetitive practice would pay off and a few times I would play it accurate. I did this a few times. I then moved to the next row of measures. Same thing, last ones were trouble. So I played this measure over and over. I'm now about 60-70% accurate on a 'slow' pace. I didn't use a metronome here...as it was more about hand coordination.

Cheers!

P.S. I wish I was at the Entertainer...good for you!

#2446459 - Yesterday at 08:35 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Bsw Offline

Loc: Florida, United States
Noonie

I was told by my teacher, when I have trouble with a part, not to start at the beginning again. I start at the measure before my issues and start from there and play with measure that is giving me trouble. When I have that down I then move on. I do not use metronome when I first start, get the notes down first. Some times it is a note at a time. Like Dru said.

My goal for the week, is to just be able to play thru Little Brown Jug. I don't expect to pass on it at my lesson Monday. It will take me at least another week to get the dynamics.

#2446503 - Yesterday at 11:16 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Akino Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi,
I very much agree with Drew and Bsw. This is the way I do it as well. It seems boring to go over a few notes again and again, but it really pays off. I was told to
practice only the measures of a piece I can't play well. At the beginning of a new piece there is sometimes this overwhelming impression it's much to challenging. And looking back after a time I notice the improvement and how much I've learned already. I understand more and more learning to play this instrument is a very humbling experience and an exciting journey.
Hope you're all well and busy with your piano practice.
I'm still on 'Why am I blue' and it's getting better. See my teacher next week. I'm out and about for a few days as we celebrate British Columbia Civic Holiday, no piano practicing right now.

#2446589 - Yesterday at 05:31 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Noonie Offline

I played this morning and improved a lot.

A separate question...any beginners find they were/are too stiff at the piano? I had some shoulder issues before I took up piano, so I'm very conscious about posture. Though I think I'm too stiff and upright. My teacher also says that I'm very rigid. So lately I've tried to play very relaxed...very loose. Feels better. And this is when I started playing better with the song that had been troubling me.

#2446632 - Yesterday at 08:54 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Noonie]
grace_note Offline

Loc: California, USA
Originally Posted By Noonie

A separate question...any beginners find they were/are too stiff at the piano? I had some shoulder issues before I took up piano, so I'm very conscious about posture. Though I think I'm too stiff and upright. My teacher also says that I'm very rigid. So lately I've tried to play very relaxed...very loose. Feels better. And this is when I started playing better with the song that had been troubling me.

Oh yes. I was very tense at first. I had to learn to relax from my shoulders through to my hands. I shook my hands out a lot and flopped my shoulders around to remind myself to loosen up. I had no idea how much tension I stored in my shoulders until I started to play piano. Not just AT the piano, but over the course of the day I often realized one or both shoulders were hunched up due to tension. Now, I'm much more relaxed, both at and away from the keys, and playing is much easier.

#2446661 - Yesterday at 10:28 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
MeganR Offline

Loc: Near Yosemite, California
I have to be careful not to slump - if I do my lower back starts talking. Also I apparently put my feet in weird positions sometimes which doesn't help. And, apparently I hold my breath through the difficult parts, because I find myself taking a big gulp of air when I get through it. If I remember to keep breathing, it goes a lot better.

I had the house to myself today and spent a couple of hours at the piano - in 30 minute bites. Started on He's Got the Whole World in His Hands - it's not super interesting I think, but good practice for moving between keys.

Page 223 of 223 < 1 2 221 222 223

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Can Anyone Help with Getting Students via my Web Site?
by Publishing Guy
Today at 02:39 AM
My visit to the Steinway Piano Gallery to assess pianos
by shirlkirsten
Today at 12:16 AM
Famous pianists who were not child prodigies?
by deckard
Yesterday at 10:53 PM
Tips for removing leather key bushings?
by machineintel
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Help choosing a digital baby grand
by Or Moyal
Yesterday at 10:12 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,214 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,925 Topics
2,432,075 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission