2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, 10 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 452 of 452 1 2 450 451 452
S
S
@dogperson, totally agree. It makes a huge difference for beginners like me.

What do you all think about accompanying the book with a course such as the Learn and Master Piano?

Search the web privately with DuckDuckGo .
D
D
Thank you so much for sharing your teacher’s channel. I watched a couple of the videos; she is excellent. The book she teaches out of is the Alfred’s ‘Group’ Piano for Adults book, which I think is different from the books discussed on this thread. Is this the book you’re using in your lessons? It looks very good and I ordered it. I am starting to get back into piano after not playing much for a number of years, and could use a refresher.

Debra

K
K
I knew there were vids and recording of each one of the tunes out there in the Ether but the one post on here are really good - great find
@Debra - I do believe that there are a number of versions of each book by Alfreds but all are essentially the same bar one to two tunes - oh and on comes with a CD.

Andy

D
D
It is a different Alfred’s book than the all-in-ones or the smaller individual books that make up the all-in-ones. This one apparently is used in college courses and is by different authors. Quite a bit more expensive, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Grou...mt_other?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=

I bought it and just received it today. It moves more quickly and would be difficult if I was starting from scratch.

Last edited by DebraK; 12/01/21 05:54 PM. Reason: Additional explanation
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by DebraK
It is a different Alfred’s book than the all-in-ones or the smaller individual books that make up the all-in-ones. This one apparently is used in college courses and is by different authors. Quite a bit more expensive, too.

I bought it and just received it today. It moves more quickly and would be difficult if I was starting from scratch.

From looking on Amazon, it also looks like it is group instruction rather than private lessons or self-testing.

K
K
Originally Posted by DebraK

I see Debra even more version then. I never knew they did this one. Notes of Staves hey he he.

D
D
I've just joined the forum this morning as I am going back to learning piano after a 40 year break! I am self teaching at home and worked my way through Alfred's book 1 back in February then kind of lost my way a bit ( boredom - gardening )so, here I am back at the start of book 1... again!
My question is this, I am really lazy ( always was a bit ) learning the theory side and tend to skim in order to play, I managed to get through book 1 yesterday afternoon but I've woken up with lazy theory remorse, is it worth going back to really get to grips with all the theory now before I progress to book 2??
Is it going to hold me up if I can't remember the slurs etc?
Thank you

B
B
I'm sure you've probably gone on with Book 2 by now - but everything is recapped at the beginning of 2, so no need to revisit 1 smile
The only time I look at 1 is to play the songs at the back, which are still some of my favorite pieces ("Laura" is so beautiful)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DebsSouthWales
I've just joined the forum this morning as I am going back to learning piano after a 40 year break! I am self teaching at home and worked my way through Alfred's book 1 back in February then kind of lost my way a bit ( boredom - gardening )so, here I am back at the start of book 1... again!
My question is this, I am really lazy ( always was a bit ) learning the theory side and tend to skim in order to play, I managed to get through book 1 yesterday afternoon but I've woken up with lazy theory remorse, is it worth going back to really get to grips with all the theory now before I progress to book 2??
Is it going to hold me up if I can't remember the slurs etc?
Thank you

Don't skip the theory. You don't really need it to learn to play by rote, but it comes in handy when trying to figure out why the lessons are trying to get you to do something in a certain way.

Understanding notation is important too. Those dynamic are in there for a reason and you need to learn how to do them in order to control your movements and touch. Without learning that you can't play soft or loud. You can't do a crescendo or ritardando. And you will not know what all the italian language regarding how to play means or the what the hashmarks or little "b's" at the beginning mean.

So theory is important. Not end of the world important but you do need to learn enough so that you're paying attention to what's going on so you can play the piece a intended.

Intermediate violinist

Playing since Jan 30, 2023. Self teaching via Faber Adult Piano Adventures Book 2

First piano - Casio PX160

Video of my current piece:

https://rumble.com/v4lvex0-butterfiles-by-angelina-bell.html

If you watch, please leave a comment for me there.
Page 452 of 452 1 2 450 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission