Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
92 registered (255, Albunea, aesop, armani, 22 invisible), 981 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 213 of 213 < 1 2 211 212 213
Topic Options
#2411749 - 04/19/15 09:58 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: LadyNemesis]
blackjack1777 Offline

Loc: California
LadyNemesis, it went very well, my teacher actually passed me on it so I'm working on the Stranger right now. I thought she was going to keep me on it for another week. I spent most of yesterday reviewing old songs so I keep them in my head and memorized.

You will enjoy Auld Lang Syne and Jericho after getting past Little Brown Jug and Chiapanecas. Jericho has a cool melody to it in both the Left and the right hand and if you spend time working on the dynamics of it you can really make it sound nice.

Good luck with Chiapanecas!

Knabe WMV-121
Yamaha P-35

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2411917 - 04/19/15 11:03 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
HuiChinny Offline

Bud7612, well done! I'm also stuck at the same place hahaa...but now getting better. I think I will have problems handling hand independence...lol

Hey blackjack1777, thanks!

Hi LadyNemesis, my Jingle Bells is getting slightly better! Hahaha...2.5 more days to my piano arrival. Can't wait! LOL

#2411924 - 04/19/15 11:23 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
HuiChinny Offline

Is anyone here looking at simple piano sheets online to practice as well? I came across a site where they give some simple scores for sight-reading practice. Really gotta practice more on my sight-reading!

#2412003 - 04/20/15 06:48 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: HuiChinny]
CarlH Offline

Originally Posted By HuiChinny
Is anyone here looking at simple piano sheets online to practice as well? I came across a site where they give some simple scores for sight-reading practice. Really gotta practice more on my sight-reading!

Yeh, I scour the internet for beginner pieces to allow me to practice sight reading, you'll be surprised how quickly you become comfortable with the Grand Staff. I spend 3-4 hours a day practicing and I'm sure I also choose pieces to work on that are way above my level, but that's good right? LOL

Edited by CarlH (04/20/15 06:54 AM)

#2412006 - 04/20/15 06:59 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
sightreadingfactory.com is a great place for beginners to practice their sight reading. At the click of a button you can have the computer generate a score for you (which you can read from the computer screen, or iPad, or print out). You can set the complexity, the key signature, the time signature, etc... It generates a midi track so that you can hear what it is supposed to sound like, etc... It's a subscription based site, but it's relatively inexpensive (like $20 USD/year).

#2412166 - 04/20/15 03:46 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
LadyNemesis Offline

Blackjack, congratz on passing on Jericho! Do you intend to keep playing it? I'm looking forward to that one. I'm not really looking forward to Auld Lang Syne, it reminds me of bad soccer songs...
I don't think 'the stranger' is in my book. I listened to it on youtube, it seems like a lot of left-hand work. So good luck with that one!

HuiChinny, good to hear your jingle bells is coming together. One can only stand Christmas songs in April for so long ;-)

#2412173 - 04/20/15 04:04 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: LadyNemesis]
blackjack1777 Offline

LadyNemesis, thanks! I was really surprised she passed me after just one week, usually she finds something that she wants improved. I'm definitely going to keep playing it. There's only a couple of songs in Alfred's that I no longer play - Little Brown Jug is one of them wink

How are your songs coming along - did you get Little Brown Jug and Chiapanecas sounding good?

Give Auld Lang Syne a chance - after playing Little Brown Jug and Chiapanecas for several weeks it's just nice to play something with an actual melody to it again!! haha... smile

Knabe WMV-121
Yamaha P-35

#2412550 - 04/21/15 04:47 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
LadyNemesis Offline

Chiapanecas is slowly coming together. When I play it slow I can almost keep a steady beat while combining the hands, there are just a few parts that give me trouble. But I think it shouldn't take me that long to finish it.
Little Brown Jug is still awful, I can more or less play it acceptably though, I don't think I can find the motivation to learn to play it better ;-)

How's the stranger going?

#2412560 - 04/21/15 05:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: LadyNemesis]
blackjack1777 Offline

Don't worry you will get it there. smile I always just really keep the tempo slow and build it up over a series of days. I played Little Brown Jug this morning just to keep it fresh in my mind since it was so painful to learn.

So, the Stranger is far more difficult than I anticipated. Like you had mentioned, there is a lot of activity in the left hand and it is much more difficult to play single notes than chords in the left hand...at least for me.

I also picked up a book of easy piano songs which is comprised of pop/rock songs that distracted me last night. I'm thinking of working on something outside of Alfred's in the background and seeing if my teacher approves of the idea.

Knabe WMV-121
Yamaha P-35

#2412677 - 04/22/15 12:23 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
HuiChinny Offline

Thanks CarlH and Fizikisto!

Today's Da-Day! My piano's coming...weeeeeee! So happy! Hahaha...

#2412982 - 04/22/15 10:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
HuiChinny Offline

Hi Guys, my piano is finally here!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chinelicious/sets/72157651715100270/

My house is a shoebox flat so we can only afford this lil' corner for the piano. Super happy! Will make it an effort to practice everyday for at least 15mins. Hahaha...

#2412987 - 04/22/15 10:50 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

HuiChinny
Congratulations! And by the way, that's the secret. Keep that commitment for just 15 min/day. let yourself have more than that when you're enjoying yourself, but at least get that 15 min in on days when you're not feeling too motivated. you'll really make huge progress over the long haul that way.

#2412992 - 04/22/15 11:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
HuiChinny Offline

Thanks fizikisto! Really? I was just aiming for a short time for practice as by the time I reached home from work it would have been like 8pm. Pretty limited time. Still need to spend time with my Hubby, and my 3 daughters LOL. Me and my eldest daughter will be fighting for practice time too hahaah.

#2412995 - 04/22/15 11:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: HuiChinny]
blackjack1777 Offline

HuiChinny, congrats!! Looks like you will be having a lot of fun practicing now! Enjoy it!

Knabe WMV-121
Yamaha P-35

#2413003 - 04/23/15 12:36 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
HuiChinny Offline

Thank Blackjack! Now i have to practice more on sight reading so it'll be smoother too LOL

#2413042 - 04/23/15 07:41 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

HuiChinny,
Yes, the secret is to be consistent. Some days it's just so easy to "skip a day..." and for a lot of people that turns into 2 skipped days...then three...then a week....and then when you make it back to the piano you've lost a lot of the progress you've made and get frustrated...So if you can get those 15 minutes in every day...it will do a world of good to help your progress. Of course, I suspect that you'll find that often you're having so much fun that you will spend much more than 15 minutes. And it's o.k. to plan for more than 15 minutes of course....but do at least try to get that much in. Build it as a habit and you're piano playing skills will go far. smile

#2413185 - 04/23/15 04:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
LadyNemesis Offline

BlackJack, EASY pop/rock songs? That sounds great! Which song(s) did you work on?
I am happy (and I feel like a bit of a cheat too) because I just found out there is NO auld lang syne in my book.
I'm using the self teaching course. The song after Chiapanecas is O sole mio. I don't think it'll be a favorite of mine, but I don't hate it either!
Chiapanecas and O sole mio are far from done, but I already notice I have an easier time with both than I had with Little Brown Ugh. I decided to leave that one at an 'acceptable' level and never to play it again - at least not for a long time!

HuiChinny, congratz with your piano!
Fizikisto, 15 minutes a day, each day, sounds like a good practice.

#2413190 - 04/23/15 04:38 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: LadyNemesis]
blackjack1777 Offline

Hi LadyNemesis, ok got it, I didn't realize you were using a different book, I think the All-in-One Book may have some extra songs. Do you have the review songs at the end of your book - Entertainer, Amazing Grace, Over the Rainbow, Gilligan's Island, etc?

O Solo Mio was super boring for me initially too! But I actually enjoyed it after a while, the work on the arpeggiated chord and the peddaling is pretty fun. I think after you work with it for a while you may enjoy some of the technical aspects of it smile BTW the Stranger is turning out to be really challenging. I definitely will not pass this week when I see my teacher.

I got the classic rock / pop book for easy piano by Dan Coates and it has 50 songs in it that are very simplified. I'm hoping to convince my teacher to let me learn one outside of our normal repertoire. I'm going to have her play through several songs and which ever one sounds the best is the one I will pick to study.

#2413214 - 04/23/15 05:34 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
LadyNemesis Offline

That sounds like fun! Piano should be fun overall so I think your teacher should let you learn a song you like wink You're right that the pedal and the arpeggiated chord is going to be challenging, so that's fun.
The stranger really looked difficult so I can imagine you need an extra week! What gives you most trouble? Your left hand?
Did you have a teacher from the start?

I'm using the self-teaching course. It has a few songs the all-in-one version doesn't have and the other way around. The songs I still have to learn are:
Chiapanecas, O sole mio, greensleeves, go down moses, scarborough fair, raisins and almonds, he's got the whole world in his hands, the entertainer, amazing grace, over the rainbow, at last, singing in the rain, laura and have yourself a merry little christmas.

It's funny and a bit strange, I start to feel like it's actually achievable to finish the book and I also realize I have so much more to learn. The songs are getting more and more challenging. When I just started the book I thought a song was difficult when I couldn't play it within an hour. Now we spend days or sometimes weeks on a song. But it's also very remarkable how far we've come in a relatively short time! The songs I'm playing now seemed impossible just a few weeks ago!

#2413218 - 04/23/15 05:48 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: LadyNemesis]
blackjack1777 Offline

The problem with the stranger is that about half the song has a melody in the right hand as normal, but then the left hand has individual notes that form a recurring rhythm instead of a usual block chord. But I think it will be good practice for playing more complicated songs in the future.

Yes, I've had a teacher from the beginning. She teaches all of her adult beginners using Alfred's. Having a teacher has really helped me I would have sped through the course and probably made a lot of mistakes I would have never noticed. I can be very careless sometimes. Are you also using a teacher?

Ok it looks like your remaining songs are pretty much the same as mine. I'm really looking forward to the songs in the review portion of the book especially the entertainer and over the rainbow.

Knabe WMV-121
Yamaha P-35

#2413243 - 04/23/15 06:56 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
LadyNemesis Offline

I'm also looking forward to those songs!
When did you start playing? It's good to hear you feel like having a teacher helped you so much. Do you enjoy the lessons too? Why did you decide to start playing?

I'm not using a teacher. I bought a keyboard because I regretted the fact I'm not able to play any instrument so I decided to do something about it. I really didn't enjoy the first book I bought, a friend gave me Alfreds' and I do like this method!

I did sing when I was young (I still do, but just under the shower, LOL) so I did have an elementary feel for reading notes. Plus I've been dancing (solely as an amateur) since I was 4 years old. Ballet mostly but also some other styles, so I'm used to paying close attention to music and I'm familiar with rhythm.

However I understand that teaching yourself is a recipe for errors, but my goal is to just enjoy myself playing some music that I like. I'm too old to become a pro anyways. Plus a teacher is very expensive and truth be told, the idea of having a teacher scares me...! (It's a bit shameful to admit) I'm afraid finding the wrong teacher would take the fun out of playing. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and it's my nightmare that I find a teacher that doesn't take adult beginners seriously, that laughs at my attempts and/or that wants to push me into a direction I don't want to go to. I know, most nightmares don't come true, but for now I just stick to self teaching I guess... ;-)

#2413251 - 04/23/15 07:23 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: LadyNemesis]
blackjack1777 Offline

LadyNemesis I am probably one of the slower ones on this board for sure lol...I started with my teacher at the beginning of September so I'm almost 8 months at this point and still quite a few songs to go in Alfred's. I have absolutely zero previous musical experience and it probably shows.

My last hobby was restoring cars/trucks and it took me about 6 years to restore a truck I was working on and I finished that project and needed something new to try. I always wanted to play an instrument and I wanted something that would be a challenge so after some research I chose the piano. It was really sort of very random to be honest. It consumes almost all of my free time now and I love it. It's very fulfilling, especially for me working on the technical details of some of these songs. It actually feels like being back in school in some ways.

If you ever do decide to think about getting a teacher don't be discouraged or scared. There are some really good ones out there that take adults seriously. Mine is very tough in terms of what she expects from each performance before passing me but she is also very patient and makes the lessons fun. And I know she takes me as seriously as her young students. I think sometimes adults get a bad reputation by piano teachers because our lives are so busy compared to kids. But if you show you are serious, keep up with your assignments, and always show up to your lessons prepared then I think they will treat you fairly. I think with your background in singing and ballet you will be well ahead of many whether you teach yourself or decide to go for a teacher. Having some musical background from a young age is very helpful I think. smile

#2413259 - 04/23/15 07:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: blackjack1777]
Bud7612 Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Hi all.

Just a note to let you know I'm still around. I've just got to fiddling around with "Money Can't Buy Everything" in G position before calling it a night. I'm having much fun and haven't missed practicing in over a week now. I can see steady improvement in my playing day by day as a result.
I picked up Hannon on a whim in the bookstore the other day but after reading that I shouldn't attempt the exercises until at least a year into lessons I set it aside as a future resource. I did purchase Alfred's greatest hits level 1 & 2 though. It won't be long 'till I can dig into those. smile

-keep up the good work everyone!

#2413918 - Yesterday at 03:07 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
_silvia_ Offline

Loc: Southeast PA, USA
Bud, that song was the first one that gave me a sense of playing a true piece of music. And it felt great! I am still fond of it.

I am making steady progress and reached "O sole mio". My teacher has been introducing the major scales slowly, but ahead of the book. We agreed that I should also start using Alfred's scales and arpeggios book so that I can sight read more and have some structure to my practice in that area.

Dru Morgan, how is your boy doing with his piano lessons?

#2413930 - Yesterday at 03:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Dru Morgan Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for asking - Just did the second one with the new instructor (one on one) and he's doing great. I'm sitting in as a fly on the wall and learning too. He is up to page 20 in Alfred's book and, with the instructor, really spending time working on each part, developing the skills he will need for later.

And, with the piano in our living room, we are both just sort of playing with it all day long for a few minutes at a time. Right now, we are listening to some Thelonious Monk for inspiration.

I am up to Auld Lang Syne and, if you can believe it, just played it through (mostly without mistakes) just by sight reading it for the first time. I am so amazed that I can read, even at my beginner level.

I am working on polishing my Love Me Tender/Edelweiss/Rainbow Connection medley from the Greatest Hits book. They just flow naturally into each other and when I get them down, I'll share a recording of me playing it.

#2413938 - Yesterday at 03:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
LadyNemesis Offline

BlackJack, getting as far as you have in just 8 months with zero musical experience is a pretty big achievement I'd say! It's great and inspiring to see other adults pursue their dream to learn to play an instrument smile

Bud, like Silvia I also enjoyed learning money can't buy everything. Good to read you're having so much fun.

Silvia, the Scales book is overwhelming me a bit. Which scales did you start on? What do you think of O sole mio so far?

Dru, I'm looking forward to your medley smile

I'm almost (but not quite) happy with Chiapenacas. I keep forgetting the forte on the second repeat and sometimes I don't really emphasize the < notes. And I'm playing the last bar of the first part of the piece very inconsistently. Sometimes I'm hitting the right notes, sometimes the wrong ones. So it's not done yet.
I explored O sole mio a bit, but it's not recognizable yet as a song ;-)

#2413947 - Yesterday at 04:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: LadyNemesis]
blackjack1777 Offline

Wow so many people checking back in! It's great to see everyone still active.

Lady Nemesis thank you for your comments! My teacher told me my pace was very good today and not to worry I'd get to the level I wanted over time and with practice. So that really boosted my confidence. I just finished my lesson today and I have another week working on the Stranger and just got assigned Greensleeves - the overlapping pedal makes the song sound so much richer. You will look forward to it after going through Little Brown Jug and Chiapanecas smile

Silvia, I just finished O Solo Mio and I loved playing that song. I had to warm up to it but eventually I really enjoyed it. I like the arpeggiated chord it sounds so fancy!

Dru it's awesome you and your son are working on the book together that's a great father son project. Congrats on your sight reading Auld Lang Syne, I'm still struggling with sight reading but working on it. Do you have a musical background?

Bud, Money was also one of my favorite ones too at the time it felt like a real accomplishment to be able to play.

Knabe WMV-121
Yamaha P-35

#2413957 - Yesterday at 04:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Finfan Offline

Loc: Arizona USA
I'm starting on "Got Those Blues". It doesn't seem particularly difficult but this is the first time I am really feeling the limitations of my unweighted keyboard. You just can't vary the volume while you're playing with one of those.

Page 213 of 213 < 1 2 211 212 213

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Drama! 7 y.o. Student Doesn't want to do Recital this Year!
by pianoman9
04/26/15 05:20 AM
search someone with a U1 yamaha and PNOscan or other system
by Martyprod
04/26/15 04:48 AM
which midi controller is same action as Nord Stage?
by Dewdman42
04/26/15 04:05 AM
Mental practicing
by piano_friend
04/26/15 02:33 AM
Malcolm Love
by lavadisco
04/26/15 12:05 AM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,042 Registered Members
44 Forums
163,546 Topics
2,399,823 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission