Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Ad
Let Your Piano Sing
Let Your Piano Sing
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyers Guide
Who's Online
41 registered (ColoRodney, earlofmar, custard apple, AZ_Astro, Chuck Behm, CPT-E, DRK, 11 invisible), 1635 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 73 of 73 < 1 2 71 72 73
Topic Options
#2570198 - 09/10/16 03:22 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Hi Jenista! Always nice to see another Einaudi fan on the thread. "Oltremare" is tough! I've not had the courage to tackle it myself yet. laugh

Depending on how you feel about ticket reseller sites, you might want to keep checking out Stubhub or Vividseats. As the date gets closer, you may find some tickets pop up as people aren't able to go.

I've got my tickets, airfare, and hotels lined up for both LA and Toronto. The L.A. trip is my birthday present from my hubby (AKA Best. Husband. Ever.) October is going to be the best month of the year for me! grin

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2574825 - 09/29/16 10:09 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Monica K.]
Jenista Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Hi Monica,
I'M SO EXCITED!! He added another date to NYC, October 17th, so I was just able to score two tickets, right up front. I actually paid the $50 to become a member of the Skirball theatre at NYU because those tickets went on sale first. I didn't want to risk it being sold out again. I think he needs to start thinking about bigger venues in the US.

One of these days, I'm going to get up the courage to record myself playing Oltremare, and post it. I also play Nuvole Bianche pretty well. I grew up playing classical, then stopped for many years, and when I came back to the piano, I switched to new age type music. It's just easier to learn and so pretty.

Lucky you to be going to two shows! We'll have to compare notes after the shows.

#2574940 - 09/29/16 06:51 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Pianoperformance Online   content

Good for you, he is great performer. Hey guys..do you think we can have a ludovico recital thread, I know that could encourage me to learn of my many fav pieces. 😆

#2575011 - 09/30/16 02:20 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Terry Michael Offline

Oh. I like YOUR idea there!

#2575043 - 09/30/16 08:18 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
CarlosCC Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Me too!
Count on me thumb

SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

#2575165 - 09/30/16 05:24 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
MarieJ Offline

Loc: Queensland Australia
Sounds good to me ...

An hour or two with my Yamaha C3 and Einaudi's music - my idea of happiness.

#2575210 - 09/30/16 09:10 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Pianoperformance Online   content

We need a sponsor who knows how to organise a recital thread..I am so not techie, and will have to learn how to upload a wav/ mp3..any good soul who will volunteer to support/lead a recital for January 2017? 😮

#2575275 - 10/01/16 06:33 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
WiseBuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Is there an easy version of "Nuvole Bianche" sheet music online that you can point me to? My daughter wants to learn it.
Thanks for help.

Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo

#2575291 - 10/01/16 08:14 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
Jenista, welcome to the Einaudi thread! A few years ago, I made copies of the score for Oltremare and used backing pape to make a booklet of sorts so that I can have the score on the piano, see four pages or more at once and not have to do as many pages turns. (I'll have to post the photo again smile ) anyway, after all that, then I never practiced down it grin your post reminded me of thwt and I got it out and have been practicing it a bit. Right now I'm just working on the first three pages, but I need to jump ahead to the 2 against 3 part (or 4 against 3) since that might be the only part that will trip me up.

WiseBluff I've never really seen easy versions of Einaudi's music, though I also haven't really looked for that specifically. I assume you've done some searches for things like "Nuvole Bianche easy arrangement" and so on? If that's not getting you anywhere, have you worked with your caught on approaches to playing it? How old is she and how long has she been playing? There are two things (ok, away more than two but anyway) that usually make Einaudi difficult for more beginner pianists. One is just the length and the other is that the RH on its own might not be so hard, but adding the LH can be quite challenging.

Do you have the complete score? Can you play it? The original version does the whole thing twice, espxcept that the second time through the LH is a slightly easier version than in the first run through. On my score, the starts at the bottom of page 5. So one thing might be to just start with page five (the section that's 4/4 time, 2 half notes per measure for 4 measures) and okay from there to the end. Have her do the RH and see if she can play that HS. If she can't, then the piece may need to wait till she advances some more. If she can play RH, would you be able to help her work on how to similary the LH part? For example, maybe play block chords instead of arpeggios?

If Nuvole Bianche is just too hard, you might consider having her trying I Due Fiumi, it's shorter and overall much easier but still has the "Einaudi feel" that people like. Either way, good luck and let us know how you get on!

As to an Einaudi recital, I'm not opposed to that idea, but I'm not sure we need it either. I would probably submit something (because, Einaudi!) but I personally would prefer to just participate in the main recitals. Just IMO. smile

#2575466 - 10/01/16 10:46 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

This is what I did to the score for Oltremare. That's like 2m (7 feet?) of music! grin

#2575953 - 10/03/16 10:16 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Pianoperformance]
Monica K. Offline

Originally Posted By Pianoperformance
We need a sponsor who knows how to organise a recital thread..I am so not techie, and will have to learn how to upload a wav/ mp3..any good soul who will volunteer to support/lead a recital for January 2017? 😮

[Monica looks away, whistles innocently] Running the recitals is not THAT much work, but there *is* a fairly stiff learning curve the first time in terms of downloading and using the various programs involved (eg, mp3 gain, Filezilla, jZip, etc.), at least that was the case for this not so savvy computer person. As much as I love Einaudi--and would participate in a specialized Einaudi recital--running the four quarterly recitals is a big enough job that I am reluctant to add on another recital, even a one-time only special Einaudi recital. frown

And, of course, there's always a benefit to having Einaudi heavily represented in the quarterly recital in terms of subtly, or blatantly, recruiting new fans. smile

#2577099 - 10/08/16 07:20 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
WiseBuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Thanks ShiroKuro, I'll try your suggestion for her. She is a young adult and played when she was younger so this might entice her back to the piano.

My teacher also feels that all new age music sounds the same. I picked a Chrismas piece that blends contemporary Christian with a carol and she gave me the long lecture. I want to play it anyway since I like it.

Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo

#2577112 - 10/08/16 08:12 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: WiseBuff]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By WiseBuff
Thanks ShiroKuro, I'll try your suggestion for her. She is a young adult and played when she was younger so this might entice her back to the piano.

Let us know how it goes!

Quote:
My teacher also feels that all new age music sounds the same. I picked a Chrismas piece that blends contemporary Christian with a carol and she gave me the long lecture. I want to play it anyway since I like it.

frown

I hate it when I hear things like that. She might be right, in a sense, and we could talk about modern piano versus the classical period versus the romantic period etc. and what one learns as a piano student from playing those styles. But, if someone enjoys playing something, why not encourage that?!

I bet Einaudi has done more to increase the numbers of adult pianists in recent years than any of our venerable dead composers. And we hear of a lot of people who say "I used to play piano when I was a kid but haven't played in years, then I heard Einaudi and I decided to go out and buy a piano."

If you're in the piano business, you ought to encourage that, not discourage it.

[/soapbox]

#2577121 - 10/08/16 08:58 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: ShiroKuro]
Smurfette Offline

Loc: Scotland
nods head vigorously

There was no way I could get my OH to accompany me to a Lang Lang concert a few years ago. However he has been to every one of Einaudi's concerts in recent years, indeed he looks forwards to them. He grew up in a household devoid of any classical music, but Einaudi has been a way in, as he is now coming with me to a Maria Joao Pires concert in January.

XL

Kawai CA 97

#2577323 - 10/09/16 11:09 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Maybe Einaudi is the JK Rowling of the musical world... smile

#2580194 - 10/19/16 09:14 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Monica K. Offline

Well, I am back from my whirlwind tour of L.A. and Toronto, where I went to see Einaudi and his ensemble perform the "Elements" tour. It was a wonderful experience. Before you think I am a crazy groupie, er, overly devoted fan, let me assure you that I did not go into this intending to go to two concerts. I had booked and paid for my airfare/hotel charges for the Toronto show in advance, nonrefundable, when the date for the L.A. show was announced. Because my sister lived in Southern California, and I had not seen her in over a decade, I decided to use the concert as an excuse to fly out to L.A. and combine it with a visit to see her and her husband.

The L.A. trip actually came first. He was playing in Royce Hall on the campus of UCLA. It was a nice enough venue, set in an oldish building in Spanish-style architecture. I'm kicking myself because I didn't take notes on the setlist, and can't find it anywhere online, but the concert could be divided roughly into thirds. The first third consisted largely of pieces from "Elements," beginning with "Night," and including "Four Dimensions," "Petricor," and, er, at least a couple of others, including one piece which I could not recognize that was either a new piece or a very long extended improvised bridge. Then the ensemble left the stage, and the middle third consisted of Ludovico playing several solo pieces, nonstop, blending them together with improvised bridges as is his habit. These included "Nuvole Bianche," "Berlin Song," and "Song For Gavin," plus, er, at least a couple of others. The ensemble came back for the final third of the concert, which included "Elements," "Newton's Cradle", "Numbers", "Experience," and, er, at least a couple of others. Then, after a long and well-deserved standing ovation, they came on back stage for the encore, which consisted of a solo piano arrangement of "Divenire" and the whole ensemble performing "Choros," which was simply spectacular live.

The music was, as you might imagine, beautiful beyond words. I was intrigued to see some unique instruments being played--a weird stringed instrument shaped like a cone that was played by dragging a bow across the strings, and--most unusual of all--a ten gallon aquarium filled with water into which one of the ensemble members lowered a rectangular bronze gong that he then hit with a mallet to create a deep reverberating spacey effect. There was also something that looked like a spherical wooden globe that the percussionist would occasionally thump with his hand.

The lighting/visual effects were fantastic. A screen at the rear of the stage displayed a pretty much nonstop stream of images in keeping with the "Elements" album artwork. Especially for the first couple of pieces, the images moved slowly but steadily across the screen, creating an almost eerie effect that the stage, or even the audience itself, was moving. And when they were playing "Experience," there was an image of a large, slowly rotating object--I have no idea what it was--a molecule, perhaps? Snowflake? Something that looked like a spiky chrysanthemum. It was mesmerizing. I didn't take any photos during either show (they weren't allowed, and I am well-behaved concertgoer), but here's a YouTube link from the show in Stockholm that shows well what it looked like:

My sister and her husband had never heard of Einaudi before, but they left the concert fans, and vowing to buy some of his CDs. smile

The Toronto concert was virtually the same in terms of content. Koerner Hall, though, wins the architecture prize; it's nestled inside/adjacent to the Royal Conservatory of Music, a very grand looking stone building. Inside Koerner Hall itself, though, is a very contemporary looking auditorium, where the stage is close to the ground and surrounded on all sides by rows of seats for the audience. That gave it a much more intimate feel, and the acoustics were superb, better than Royce Hall. Here's a stock photo of the hall:

I had a great seat, center Orchestra, row H, so I got a terrific view of the musicians. Unfortunately, the nature of the stage meant they couldn't put up a screen for the visuals, which instead were projected lower to the ground, against the wall and the ensemble itself. As a result, the visuals lost some of their dramatic effect. I was thus happy to have been able to experience both concerts.

Digression: Another highlight of the Toronto show is that they included a musical "postlude", performed on a piano in the lobby, after the concert was over and people were filing out. The musician was Teo Milea, a composer I had not heard of before, but whose music I think any Einaudi fan would find pleasing. Here's a link to one of the pieces he played at the postlude, "Streets in Crayon" if you want to check his work out:

I stayed and listened to the whole postlude, which lasted about 45 minutes. After it was over, I looked across the lobby, and saw a small clump of people, and I realized with a bit of a shock that Einaudi himself was standing there, greeting people, signing autographs, and taking photographs with fans. So I ran right over and got a picture taken with him. smile From discussions on the Facebook fan forum, I understand I was pretty fortunate to have that opportunity, as in other cities they don't always allow photographs, and sometimes he doesn't come out at all. (I didn't see any sign of him in L.A., for example.) He looked pretty tired so I didn't want to take up too much of his time, but I told him that I loved his music, and had seen him the previous week in L.A., and that I traveled all over to hear him play live. He smiled and said "thank you." smile I refrained from falling at his feet and smothering his shoes with kisses, but it was hard. laugh

In all, the "Elements" tour was everything I had hoped it would be. If forced to choose, my favorite pieces of the concert were "Experience" and "Choros." While it was a big commitment of time and money to go see him (twice in a nine-day span!), I consider my trips to hear him play live at the top of my list of peak life experiences, right up there with getting married, giving birth, and getting my ph.d. I am already eagerly anticipating his next album and tour.

(As a humorous footnote, my flight home was overbooked, so I leapt at the chance to earn a $600 voucher from Delta in exchange for sitting around the airport for a few extra hours. So I'm ready to book a free flight for his next tour!!)

#2580243 - 10/20/16 02:40 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Monica K.]
Smurfette Offline

Loc: Scotland
Glad you had a fantastic time Monica.

I attended the Edinburgh Elements performance, but only yesterday noticed he is back in UK for another round and playing in my hometown of Glasgow next month, and I grabbed two of the last six tickets !

I did not get notification from the Einaudi website of the extra dates so was very lucky to notice them on spotify.

XL

Kawai CA 97

#2580255 - 10/20/16 03:59 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
CarlosCC Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Fantastic report Monica! Glad to know that you enjoyed the concert.
And what a great photo! wink

SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

#2580277 - 10/20/16 05:38 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Monica K.]
MarieJ Offline

Loc: Queensland Australia
Monica, THANK you, you've really whetted my appetite - but I have to wait until February 2017, when he is due to come to Brisbane. I was very lucky to get tickets, actually, as I didn't know about it and the evening was almost sold out more than four months ahead. (And I can thoroughly understand the 'falling at his feet' bit ... ) laugh

An hour or two with my Yamaha C3 and Einaudi's music - my idea of happiness.

Page 73 of 73 < 1 2 71 72 73

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our Latest Free Newsletter!
-------------------
Some New Piano World STATS

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
(ad)
Defining National Piano Schools - Perceptions
Defining National Piano Schools - Perceptions
(ad)
Piano Lamps - Piano Lights
Piano Lamp by cocoweb - free shipping
New in Piano World's online store PianoSupplies.com , beautiful piano lamps from cocoweb. Free shipping! (continental U.S.).
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bulgaria 2017
by PhilipInChina
12/04/16 04:03 AM
Sheet music commission?
by Varun916
12/04/16 02:00 AM
I WISH TO FIND OUT ABOUT A .....KORNER &SOHN, BERLIN PIANO I
by DRK
12/04/16 01:28 AM
More Yamaha questions!!
by runninglate
12/03/16 11:44 PM
Homemade stand for MP11
by bolobao
12/03/16 11:09 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
85,758 Registered Members
44 Forums
176,779 Topics
2,576,084 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission